USF Then And Now - Photo Comparisons

Mike S

Quite awesome. It actually introduced me to Hitchcock. Anyway, as I recall, you first experienced a montage of clips from his films, ending with a 3D attack of The Birds. Then, there was a stage show where a faux film crew recreated the shower scene from Psycho, complete with Anthony Perkins himself on a big screen. There were also various exhibits that recreated famous scenes from his films. YouTube the Universal Studios Magic of Movies VHS to see.

Anyway, those comparison photos are pretty depressing. Notice how gaudy the new facades are and how understated and realistic the original architecture was aside from Nick. The entrance to Kongfrontation actually looked like the old Pennsylvania Station in Manhattan, Back to the Future resembled a World's Fair pavilion. Now, they just look just kinda tacky and cartoony, even the globe and entrance gates. I know a lot of people prefer Universal Studios as it exists today and it may be silly to modern audiences to see Kongfrontation or Ghostbusters when you have Harry Potter. Still, the original Universal Studios Florida was undeniably amazing for its time. The precursor to Diagon Alley or the Wizarding World at Universal was walking into Kongfrontation or the E.T. Adventure. Just magnificent.
Hey, I like the newer current globe. The new facades aren't that bad to me either but I get your point. Especially with BTTF/Simpsons.

Tom Morrow

I had seen the Alfred Hitchcock attraction once, years ago, but for some reason I thought it was only a 3D film. I completely forgot that there was much more to it! Personally I think Shrek 4D is by far the worst attraction at Universal and I can't wait to see it leave:

- the preshow has nothing to do with the main show
- the main film is just a short that is available on the DVD of one of the movies.
- the main film is not immersive in any way and the audience is not presented as being a part of it. Also why does your seat shake? We are just watching action on a screen... not part of it.

Anyway, those comparison photos are pretty depressing. Notice how gaudy the new facades are and how understated and realistic the original architecture was aside from Nick. The entrance to Kongfrontation actually looked like the old Pennsylvania Station in Manhattan, Back to the Future resembled a World's Fair pavilion. Now, they just look just kinda tacky and cartoony, even the globe and entrance gates. I know a lot of people prefer Universal Studios as it exists today and it may be silly to modern audiences to see Kongfrontation or Ghostbusters when you have Harry Potter. Still, the original Universal Studios Florida was undeniably amazing for its time. The precursor to Diagon Alley or the Wizarding World at Universal was walking into Kongfrontation or the E.T. Adventure. Just magnificent.
I can't think of a park where the atmosphere and general mood has changed as drastically as USF. I'm definitely in favor of most of the changes, but the original park had a unique, maybe even professional feel that will never be back and I am nostalgic for.

neoshinok

I miss the Hitchcock attraction more than BTTF or Kong, and I loved both of those rides! My first visit to the Studios, I was probably 8, the only souvenir I wanted was a Hitchcock 'Art of Making Movies' T-shirt, which I still own 20 years later. That exhibit really struck me and lead to a lifelong fascination with filmmaking.

Timekeeper

Original Poster
I miss the Hitchcock attraction more than BTTF or Kong, and I loved both of those rides! My first visit to the Studios, I was probably 8, the only souvenir I wanted was a Hitchcock 'Art of Making Movies' T-shirt, which I still own 20 years later. That exhibit really struck me and lead to a lifelong fascination with filmmaking.

Does it look anything like this?

DSC_0312.JPG

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom