Trip Report Up Where They Walk, Up Where They Run 19.3 Miles!

About 3 years ago, I made a New Year’s resolution to run a 5k. Unfortunately, that 5k was rained out. However, I have since run several 10ks, 10 milers, and half marathons, so I guess you could say the running part stuck. After I ran my first half marathon in 2013, I knew a runDisney race was on my bucket list. I always wanted to do the half marathon during Marathon weekend, but due to a teacher’s schedule I found it very difficult to be able to miss work during January. So, I settled on Princess Half Marathon weekend. Since I was going to miss work and travel all that way, I decided I might as well do the Glass Slipper Challenge. Who can resist all that bling, am I right? I’ll be honest though- while I like the Disney Princesses, I don’t love them. I wouldn’t be caught dead in a tiara. However, when runDisney released the teaser that the race could be themed after Ariel, I was slightly more excited. And when they released the bling pictures, I got SUPER excited. Suddenly this race was becoming more and more interesting…

Anyways, before I get ahead of myself, let me share the details of this trip.

When: Thursday, Feb 18-Monday, Feb 22

Where: Disney’s Pop Century Resort

Originally, I really wanted to stay at the refurbed rooms at the Poly. However, due to the shortness of the trip, I couldn’t justify the amount of money. I settled on Pop Century due to the convenience to WWOS and pretty good transportation. I will let you in on a secret, however: I am a deluxe resort snob. There’s such a difference with the amenities: the towels are plusher, the Kleenex softer, two-ply TP, and the world’s softest sheets. Poly and the GF are my two top resorts. Staying at a value for this trip was less than ideal, but maybe things have changed at the values? Spoiler: While the sheets weren’t bad, the “towelettes” have got to go!

Who: Myself (Emily), Mom (The one and only @Tuvalu ) , and Aunt M

Alright, enough jibber-jabber. Let’s go to Disney!

TrolleyFollower91

Original Poster
Thursday February 18: Arrival

After corralling third graders all day, Mom and Dad picked me up from school and drove us to the airport. Traffic was horrific, but Mom and I were through security and at the gate eating our dinner in plenty of time for our 6:10 flight. Our plane was a little late in taking off, but a strong tail wind allowed us to make up time and land 20 minutes early. I’ve seriously never seen flight attendants throw drinks and peanuts at people so quickly.

Since we landed at night, I did not magically tag my checked luggage. Mom and I trekked all the way to baggage claim A, only to have to drag it all the way upstairs, across the atrium and down to Magical Express on side B. We got on the Magical Express bus and departed 5 minutes later- whoo! Aunt M had landed, but we were to meet her at the resort. We dropped off at AoA first, and then went on to Pop. Mom did not do online check-in because she expected Aunt M wouldn’t have done it. However, we waited 20 minutes in the check-in line…and then Aunt M texted that she was already checked in and had her room number. Oh, well.

Mom and I grabbed some cookies and water in the food court and waited for Aunt M to arrive. There was hugging and catching up. Though we had requested rooms near each other, Aunt M was in a different building of the 50s section than Mom and me. We designated the giant Tramp as our meeting location the next morning.

Friday, February 19- Expo

I really had one goal for the day: get to the expo at opening. I wanted to be on the first bus leaving Pop at 8:30.

We met outside at Tramp at 7:45 am. We walked to the food court and grabbed breakfast. Aunt M decided to stay and wander the resort while Mom and I went to the Expo. We didn’t have to wait for a bus and got there in no time. However, runDisney clearly likes to make sure you are in shape before completing one of their races. It was quite a hefty walk from the parking lot to the HP Field House!

I had read lots of reports online of the expo being insane the day before, so Mom and I were braced for the worst. First stop was GSC bib pick-up. I was shocked to find absolutely no lines! There were plenty of volunteers directing us where to go and it was an extremely efficient process.

They take your picture with your bib to verify your GSC completion at the end of the half marathon.

Of course we had to stop at these backdrops! Everyone kept asking if Mom wanted to be in the picture- she declined because she wasn’t running!

https://flic.kr/p/EAmDgS

https://flic.kr/p/EAmDgS
Next, we walked over to the expo. I was really bracing myself for the worst here- but it was not bad at all. I didn’t really need to stop in any of the other booths- just the official merchandise booth. I’m sure there were plenty of items already sold out, however I got my sweaty band, “I did it” shirt, and car magnet that I wanted. The best part was using my AP discount and reward dollars for free merch!!

TrolleyFollower91

Original Poster
Mom and I walked the long walk back to the buses and boarded a Pop bus that was conveniently waiting for us. I dropped my stuff off in the room (shoved the “I did it” shirt still in the bag in my suitcase- not to come out until Sunday!). However, I did want to see the race shirts, and of course had to take pics.

I do not understand people who A) wear their shirts before race day or B) wear their shirts to the actual race. In my opinion, the race shirt is to be worn only after successful completion of the race. But to each his own I guess- several people broke my rules throughout the weekend!

LisaBelle

Mom and I walked the long walk back to the buses and boarded a Pop bus that was conveniently waiting for us. I dropped my stuff off in the room (shoved the “I did it” shirt still in the bag in my suitcase- not to come out until Sunday!). However, I did want to see the race shirts, and of course had to take pics.

I do not understand people who A) wear their shirts before race day or B) wear their shirts to the actual race. In my opinion, the race shirt is to be worn only after successful completion of the race. But to each his own I guess- several people broke my rules throughout the weekend!

I totally agree! I was surprised at the number of people wearing their shirts in the race! I felt like I wasn't entitled to wear the shirt until I had successfully run the race!

TrolleyFollower91

Original Poster
THIS!

So true in my opinion!
It gets me every. single. race.
Hahaha I totally agree! This is one of my biggest pet peeves :)
I'm glad I'm not the only one!!
I totally agree! I was surprised at the number of people wearing their shirts in the race! I felt like I wasn't entitled to wear the shirt until I had successfully run the race!
I feel the same way- so excited that you earned your 5k shirt!!

TrolleyFollower91

Original Poster
We met back up with Aunt M and took the bus to MK. Ahhh- I could seriously spend every morning in the MK.

First stop was Jungle Cruise for our FP+, and then we waited about 20 minutes for Pirates. I was so afraid of getting soaked, as recently the boats at Pirates have taken on water and the “bombs” in the battle scene have been a little to realistic with the water explosion. Thankfully, we did not get wet. Here’s to a permanent fix?!

We walked back to Main Street for lunch- but first a Trolley show! Except, there was no trolley…

…just the fire engine? Oh well, still good. Though I still miss the original trolley show.

We had lunch at the Plaza. True confession: we typically eat at the Plaza twice every trip. And the workers have begun to know us. John, one of our favorite servers, stopped at our table to chat. I’m pretty sure Aunt M was going to melt into her chair from embarrassment as John asked us about my dad, our plans, and the rest of the family. Mom texted my dad that it was nice to eat where they know your name, and he responded “It would be less scary if the restaurant wasn’t 450 miles away in a theme park!” o_OI just think he was sad he was not having a chocolate shake with his lunch…:D

TrolleyFollower91

Original Poster
After lunch we did Monsters, inc. Laugh Floor, rode the best ride ever (TTA) and sang our way through Carousel of Progress. Then, thanks to FP+, we skipped the 90 minute standby line for Space Mountain.

I’ve been to Disney 4 times in the last year, and it has been steadily busy no matter the time of year or day of the week. I think it’s safe to say that tourism and attendance has greatly increased in the last year.

After Space, we walked our favorite secret path to New Fantasyland, did some shopping, and rode Little Mermaid. I rode with Aunt M, who found it funny that we had a lap bar in our clamshell. I replied, “It’s not a lap bar- it’s a sand bar.” :p I’m pretty sure she just rolled her eyes at me for that one.

After that, we walked around some more and then it was time for our FP+ for 7DMT. Aunt M and I rode it together- and she was so surprised and impressed when we went in to the mine. I’ve never seen her smile so big!

It was time to head out of the MK to get to our pre-race dinner reservation. When planning the meals for this trip, I thought about which restaurants I liked that did not make my stomach hurt and would give me good race fuel for the next day. I decided I wanted my pre-10k meal to be a San Angel Inn.

We boarded the Express monorail for the TTC and then transferred to the Epcot line. It was so exciting seeing the star line for the race from the monorail! It was getting real! On our way to Mexico, we stopped and road Spaceship Earth, which had no wait.

We made it to Mexico and had a terrific meal. I had the vegetable tacos off of the appetizer, as I was still really full from lunch. While eating, Aunt M and I noticed the line for the boat ride getting longer and longer. When we were done with dinner, the queue was full! It was still only a 5 minute wait before loading our boat.

I LOVE the animatronics!

After that, we took the looooonnnngggg walk to the Pop bus stop. The Epcot bus stops are just so stinking far away! It was only 6:30 when we got on the bus, but we all remarked at how tired we were! When we got back to the room, I laid out my race gear, triple checked my alarm was set, and relaxed in bed.

3:15 wake-up call was coming!! :confused:

TheMouseFan

Yay!! Can't wait to hear about the races! I keep saying I have to make it down for at least a 5k, but I just can't seem to make the timing work for me, so I have to get by with enjoying everyone's race TRs. I REALLY wish I could have made it work this year, as The Little Mermaid is my favorite!

TrolleyFollower91

Original Poster
Yay!! Can't wait to hear about the races! I keep saying I have to make it down for at least a 5k, but I just can't seem to make the timing work for me, so I have to get by with enjoying everyone's race TRs. I REALLY wish I could have made it work this year, as The Little Mermaid is my favorite!
Thanks! The races are definitely at difficult times for scheduling, at least for me. It's definitely worth planning a trip around, however! Thanks for following along!

TrolleyFollower91

Original Poster
Saturday, February 20- Enchanted 10k

My alarm went off at 3:15, and both Mom and I were awake. I got ready, Mom grabbed my picture, and then I headed off to the bus line with my power bar and juice.

I arrived at the bus depot at 3:30ish- Oh. My. Word. It was the craziest, yet most efficient thing I have ever seen. The line of runners stretched the entire length of the Pop bus stops. Disney charters motor coaches for the race, and they would pull up two at a time, load runners, drive away, and two more would be waiting to pull up. For some reason, I just did not expect the race to have as many people as it did. I’m not sure why, as I know it was sold out. Maybe because it was so ridiculously early, yet all these people were ready to run?

Anyways, I got on the bus and got off at the Epcot parking lot about 4. The volunteers did a great job of getting you to the race area. I didn’t have any gear to check, so I wandered around for a while. Then, somehow, I ended up in a character line. It worked out well, since I really didn’t have anyone to talk to anyways. I think I waited about 45 minutes for Belle or Tiana. I had hoped for Belle, but as I got closer I realized I would meet Tiana. I was a little bummed until she mentioned my outfit.

You see, I had thought a lot about my race outfit. I really didn’t want to wear a costume, as I never run a race in anything I hadn’t done a trial run wearing. And I was NOT doing a trial run in a costume. No way. I did what every girl does and researched outfits on interest, and I came across a shirt I immediately knew would be my 10k outfit. All I needed to add was a hat and a patch and I became…

… a Wilderness Explorer! Tiana made such a big deal out of it that it made my wait worth it. After meeting with Tiana, it was a run to the bathroom and then into my corral.

The Proof-of-Time I submitted for this race was not very good. Long story short, I got incredibly sick this summer after suffering with heat exhaustion. Then, when I started running again, I got shin splints in both legs. I was able to tape myself up enough for my 10 miler POT and it was decent enough to submit. Due to my shin splints, I took the month of December off to heal. Then I was hit with a three-week sinus infection. I didn’t start training for the GSC until January. The longest distance I had done while training was 10 miles. I had never done a training run back-to-back. I wasn’t even sure I would be able to finish both races.

All that being said, I ended up in Corral B for the 10k. It was the farthest forward I have ever started in a race. I was excited because it would mean potentially shorter character lines and less of a possibility of being swept. My plan for the 10k was to take it easy. I set intervals on my watch, and only planned to stop for characters if it was someone or a combination of characters that I couldn’t meet in the parks.

They opened my corral and walked to the starting line. They were doing each corral 9 minutes apart- which seemed a bit of overkill, but I assume they were doing it for a reason. Anyways, the fireworks shot off, and the next thing I knew I was crossing the start line! (I’ll spare you my crummy blurry starting line pics)

TrolleyFollower91

Original Poster
The first part of the course was out of the Epcot parking lot. Else and Anna were waiting at about the half mile marker on the overpass above. Elsa was saying something cheesy, and it was snoaping over the course. Kind of fun, but I really didn’t want to get snoaped all over, so I sped through that part of the course. Then, we went through the Epcot parking structure (Caution runners: speed bumps ahead!), and quickly got to mile 1, where I heard some interesting music- must be a character stop! Mile 1 took me about 11 minutes. I waited 12 minutes for this character stop, but she fit the stipulations I had going into the race:

The Old Hag from Snow White!

I left her and started running again. I had some time to make up! The next character stop was Tink and her fairy friends, but I passed those up. I’m just not a Tinkerbell fan. I kept trucking around the outside of Epcot. The first 3 miles of the 10k are pretty boring- just highway. I sped up a little bit and had a 10:30 mile. I passed Meeko and Pocahontas somewhere around Mile 3, and then we entered the backside of Epcot! We passed the 5k split, which was 46:59, estimated finish in 1:33:57. Definitely my slowest 5k ever, but I didn’t care!

We passed through the backside of Test Track, and then came out in World Showcase! All of the countries were lit up, the torches were on, and pumping music was playing! It was so cool.

We entered between Norway and China, and ran clockwise around World Showcase. Jiminy Cricket and Pinocchio were in Italy, but I passed them up. I was hoping for Chip and Dale in Japan, but they weren’t out. Finally, I saw a line forming in France- another winner!

According to my watch, I waited 11 minutes for these two favorites:

Lumiere and Cogsworth! In France!

At this point I was feeling really good. I was really only running 2 miles at a time and then stopping. I knew I would have no trouble finishing, but you definitely get caught up in the race aspect of it. Having people run by you while you wait for characters makes you question your decision to stop, but what other race would you possible have this opportunity?!

From France, we ran over the bridge and out the International Gateway. We took a left towards to Boardwalk. From previous TRs, I know there is a character outside ESPN Zone. I was hoping for one of the classics in sports gear, but it ended up being someone better:

Vacation Genie! I only waited 3 minutes for him.

After that, I continued to the bridge that connects Boardwalk with the Swan and Dolphin. It was hear that I heard someone complaining about the hills. I think I may have laughed out loud at them. I come from Atlanta, which is known for its incredibly hilly courses (we have a hill that is called Cardiac Hill). This tiny little elevation over a bridge is nothing. Florida is flat- perfect race conditions!

We complete the circle around Yacht & Beach club and headed back into Epcot. We came out next to Imagination, circled by Nemo and Friends, and went around Spaceship Earth and out. Then, it was across the finish line! 10k complete in 1:33:57. Incredibly slow, but so worth it for the character stops. Grabbed my medal, box o’ food, and took this nice selfie:

6.2 miles down, 13.1 to go!

Last edited:

TrolleyFollower91

Original Poster
Then, I walked to the bus stop. The bus that pulled up had seen better days. It reeked of cigarette smoke and looked like it was from the 1970s. Definitely not a motor coach, but it got me back to Pop in one piece. Barely.

I did not take a Mylar blanket at the end of the race. I had too much to carry, and I wasn’t cold. However, the walk back to my room at Pop was quite cold as the breeze whipped through my [gross] sweaty shirt. I tore open my box o’ food when I got back the room and was incredibly disappointed. Where are my cheese and crackers? Popcorn? Potato chips? Nope. Just a box full of the world’s tiniest Luna bar, coconut puffed corn, and fruit snacks. There was a tiny bag of Goldfish which I devoured in .2 seconds before showering and settling in for a nap.

Aunt M and Mom had spent the morning at Animal Kingdom. When I awoke from my nap, we met at the Studios for lunch.

On the way, we saw some people handing out free advice.

We got the BBQ wedge salad from Fairfax Fare. I was starving at this point, and needed a bit of fuel. I also go the Darth Vader cupcake- SO excited it’s offered year round now, but I’m pretty sure they have made them smaller and charge the same amount. It was a beautiful lunch dining al fresco and talking about our mornings. Of course, I was reppin’ my t-shirt and bling!

After lunch, we did Muppets and then Voyage of the Little Mermaid. I wanted Mom to take my pic outside since it was an Ariel themed race and medal, and of course some family was standing right in the way. And wouldn’t move. Sigh. I think the picture turned out alright.

After that, we hit up Great Movie Ride (Aunt M loves her some TCM), ToT, and RnR. Though she may be older than my parents, Aunt M loves a good roller coaster. When our train came to a stop in the tunnel of RnR, she turned to me and shouted “That’s IT?” I guess it was too short for her! She then proceeded to announce she could have ridden it all day long.

I was starting to drag a little bit at this point, so we decided to take the boat from the Studios to Epcot.

We had about an hour before our dinner reservation, so we decided on watching Impressions de France. My plan was to rest my eyes for a bit, but I always forget how much I enjoy that movie! No napping for me…

We had dinner reservations at Via Napoli. Mom and I split a margharita pizza and Aunt M had some sort of pasta. Everyone enjoyed their meals!

We broke up the long walk to the bus by riding Living with the Land on the way out. The Land Pavilion was empty with Soarin’ being closed!

We got a seat on the bus and waddled our way back to our room. I set out my race gear for the next morning. I had just climbed into bed when these started:

We could see the Star Wars fireworks from our room! Mom is a fireworks junkie- It’s like the Disney gods were smiling on us!!

After the fireworks, I had no trouble falling asleep for another 3:15 morning!

Tuvalu

Premium Member
My alarm went off at 3:15, and both Mom and I were awake. I got ready, Mom grabbed my picture,
Thought your readers might want to see the 3:25 am pic :)
image.jpeg

TrolleyFollower91

Original Poster
February 21- Disney Princess Half Marathon!

I’ll be honest; I was really worried about the half marathon. I always forget how long 13.1 miles is. Somehow I just keep signing myself up for these…

Anyways, as I’ve stated before, I will not dress up like a princess. However, as a Disney addict, I had to match the theme. I settled on a Raw Threads “Live Run 19.3” shirt and a tiara SweatyBand.

I arrived at the super crowded bus stop and quickly got on a bus. I was much more mellow this morning. I really was in the mood to just run through this race. After arriving at the Epcot parking lot, I killed some time by walking around and going to the bathroom.

It was around this time that I ran into @brifraz and @MeffysMom ! I introduced myself and we chatted a bit about the races. It was so cool to meet a fellow WDWmagic friend!

I decided to go ahead and walk to the start line. I was under the impression that the start line was in the same place as the 10k, which I don’t really know why. Boy, was I wrong. It is a good .5 mile walk to the start line from the Epcot parking lot! Disney really wants to make sure you’re in shape before running these races!!

I arrived at the start line and found my corral (F). Disney has some race announcers that help pass the time. It was then that they played a 5 minute promotion for Snow White. Disney is planning a rerelease of the movie. It was then that I started thinking Snow White may be the theme for next year’s PHM. (This has since been mentioned on other rumor threads- Snow White was mile marker 13, as was Ariel last year (this year’s theme) and Anna and Elsa 2 year’s ago)

Miss America sang the National Anthem, and the Fairy Godmother started off the wheelchairs and corrals A,B, and C. There were only 4 minutes between corrals, and people were running to the start line to get in their corrals. When the runDisney volunteers wouldn’t let them in to their corrals (either they already were on the course or they were next in line), these people got so upset! Disney makes it very clear that you need to allow plenty of time to get to the start.

I digress. Soon enough, my corral was next!

Before I knew it, the fireworks shot off and I had crossed the start line! According to the tracking alert, I started at exactly at 5:45. I was just in the mood to run this morning. I set my watch and paid pretty close attention to my intervals. The first mile or so was very crowded, so I didn’t stop, but as soon as we merged onto World Drive I took 1 minute walk breaks every 4 minutes.

I will applaud Disney for the on-course entertainment. It was nice to run by marching bands, DJs, and other community acts. I believe the first character stop was the heroes, which I passed up due to the really long line.

I liked this part of the course because it was really wide, and there was plenty of room. The monorail would run by and honk at us, which was so cool to me.

Before I knew it, we were at the Magic Kingdom toll booth!

Somewhere after that was the 5k split. I completed the 5k in 36:33 with an 11:43 pace. Estimated finish time: 2:33:28. Can I maintain this pace?!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom