Unofficial Guide Questions

Mukta

Original Poster
I recently saw the 2004 version in the $1 bookstore. I was thinking of picking it up just to read about things that don't exist in the world. Is that weird or would you do the same?

Do you buy a new one every year or so? I have 2005's version and I am going to buy 2011's.

Do you have a favorite cover picture?

rainfully

I have a few old ones and I enjoy going back and reading about what used to be. :) It can be kind of a fun journey through time!

JohnLocke

I tend to get them in years when I go, but I don't always get them every year I go. I don't think it's weird for you to pick one up, especially since it's only a dollar, but I would say if it was more I wouldn't pick one up, especially since you have 2005. I don't think too much changed between those two years.

djpoore94

I have 2007 through 2010 and will be ordering 2011. I know they don't usually change much year to year, but I plan on collecting them every year just the same. They're not that expensive and it's easy to control myself since they're only updated once a year (unlike the pins that we started collecting in 2007 and can't seem to control at all).

powlessfamily4

I just picked 2 up from a yard sale last week. I love to page through them. Has anyone read this one:

The Hidden Magic of Walt Disney World: Over 600 Secrets of the Magic Kingdom, Epcot, Disney's Hollywood Studios, and Animal Kingdom

I was thinking about buying it.

NORMNB8S

I've read it. It was a fun read. As a Disney fan, you'll probably already know about a lot of it and some of it is outdated but it was still worth reading.

I just picked 2 up from a yard sale last week. I love to page through them. Has anyone read this one:

The Hidden Magic of Walt Disney World: Over 600 Secrets of the Magic Kingdom, Epcot, Disney's Hollywood Studios, and Animal Kingdom

I was thinking about buying it.

I have that one. It's a good read. Lots of interesting trivia that, while you may already know most of it, can be fun to share with less-informed disney fans. I brought mine to the park once and managed to draw about 12 people into a huddle with me to read it while in line once. They were on their second trip or something, and were utterly fascinated. It was good times.

dreamfinder

I have bought some old ones. Initially to give my DW something to read that would explain what everything was (before I got her hooked). Definitely not something I do on a regular basis.

Zummi Gummi

Pioneering the Universe Within!
I have that one. It's a good read. Lots of interesting trivia that, while you may already know most of it, can be fun to share with less-informed disney fans. I brought mine to the park once and managed to draw about 12 people into a huddle with me to read it while in line once. They were on their second trip or something, and were utterly fascinated. It was good times.

This often happens to me when I pull out a Hidden Mickey book somewhere and start examining a mural or wall. Inevitably, I end up with a group of people assisting. It's kind of fun, and a neat way to meet and talk with new people.

CAPTAIN HOOK

As a reference book, The Unofficial Guide is THE best Disney guide book out there. Unfortunately, with technology advancing at the rate it does, the book is out of date before it hits the book shops. Websites (like this) are up to the minute.

I ALWAYS buy a copy of The Unoffficial Guide Book in the year of our next planned trip - a hard copy is an indispensible tool when away (esp as we don't take a lap top) and a great read to kill 9 hours on a plane

lentesta

Premium Member
You can occasionally find Unofficial Guides from the late 80's on eBay - those are a lot of fun to read, especially if they pre-date the Studios opening.

FWIW, the Guide is updated twice yearly: an August edition is the first printing of the following year's guide, and an update is published in February of the following year. Thus, the 2011 Guide will first be available in August, 2010, with an update in February 2011.

Somewhere between 10 and 20% of the Guide changes every year, including hotel, attraction and restaurant ratings, plus reader comments. The chapter titles and book layout are fairly stable at this time, which is why (I think) people think it doesn't change much. The actual content, however, does change.

For the 2011 edition, for example, I submitted close to 100 pages of updates out of 800 pages of text. And I'm one of several people who work on the book.

Thanks for reading the book!

Len

Epcotian

About a year or two back, I picked up a pre-Studios UG off eBay. It was very interesting reading! A bit thinner than current versions! :animwink:

NORMNB8S

Thanks for reading the book!

Len

No, thank you! We bought our first book in 2005 when my girlfriend/now wife and I were taking our first trip together. We were both Disney veterans but we bought it anyway just to have something to read and get excited about the trip. We were surprised to actually learn some new things and it was definitely entertaining. We bought one in 2006 and 2007 even though we weren't going to Disney. I read all of them cover to cover. They're a lot of fun. I'll be purchasing 2011 at some point since that's our next trip. Thanks for the absolute best Disney book on the shelves.

scoobygirl39541

Since we book every trip through our AAA travel agent, we get a free copy every year. So I have every book 2001-2010 lol Its quite convenient.

I say buy it! Why not, its just a dollar.

zurgandfriend

I buy a copy every year. It makes great bathroom reading, so I leave it there.
If you have a spouse like mine who says "I not going back again soon" this works wonders. She'll read the Unofficial guide while in the bathroom and sooner or later say "let's go back."
Being the office "Disney know it all" I will lend out an old copy to someone planning a trip. They usually return my copy in a few days and say thanks, this book is so great I went and bought my own copy.

Uncle Lupe

Bump.

I found the 2010 guides for $3 at a buyout store . Bought the one for doing WDW with kids. It has been a fun read and filled tons of info on restaurants, special events and things to do other then just rides. Gives some tips I never thought of. Like water proofing your shoes or using a large trash bag as a poncho on rides. :ROFLOL:

SFMarine

I have the '11 guide and it has been my bible over the last few months. What a great source for all things Disney and then some! It covers everythng and was the best $10 I ever spent.

lentesta

Premium Member
Thanks! I'm working on the first 2012 edition now. I haven't got to the part yet where we compile reader ratings of the restaurants or hotels. When I do, I'll post results here. Should be interesting.

Len

Thorpyness

The "problem" I have is that the new version comes out in late August, and I travel in late August. Last year I had it on order with amazon, and it was released in the Us before we left, but in the uk it was a bit later, and was waiting when I got back home. I also have started a collection. I can't compare it to other guide books, because when you have this you don't need other guide books.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom