Universal's "Dark Universe" - Impact on Parks?

Animaniac93-98

Original Poster
Universal today announced the official name for their monster movie reboot series that starts with Tom Cruise in The Mummy

What are the chances of this influencing the parks if it's a hit? Would they remake the existing Mummy ride? Build new ones based on these movies? Or just use them as the basis for some HHN mazes?

I personally can't get too excited about this series atm. As much as I love the old monsters, these new ones don't look to have the same appeal. But I guess that's the point.

barkerbird

I was very excited upon hearing the news, because I love the classic monsters.

In my mind, it would be difficult to botch such wonderful characters, but Universal seems to have found a way. The Mummy with Tom Cruise will flop (the Brendan Fraser series looks better), and the next installments are Bride of Frankenstein and Invisible Man starring Johnny Depp...really?!? Wouldn't you need a Frankenstein in order to have his bride? I've also seen enough quirky Johnny Depp characaters.

Anyway, I'm sure they will remodel RoTM to fit the current series.

Last edited:

JoeCamel

I wasn't very excited upon hearing the news, because I love the classic monsters.

In my mind, it would be difficult to botch such wonderful characters, but Universal seems to have found a way. The Mummy with Tom Cruise will flop (the Brendan Fraser series looks better), and the next installments are Bride of Frankenstein and Invisible Man starring Johnny Depp...really?!? Wouldn't you need a Frankenstein in order to have his bride? I've also seen enough quirky Johnny Depp characaters.

I am not sure that a refurb wouldn't be a good thing. Not sure about changing the wall decor but the ride needs it.

Bairstow

After Fallon I wouldn't put anything past them. Even Kong was kind of out of left field, especially since they didn't wait and see how Skull Island would do in theaters.

AndrewsJ

Possibly, but hard to say due to the time line pairing with the Jackson movie and using the same film from there also.
True. The ride film seems very Jacksonesque to me as does Universal Hollywood's Kong 360. Was Jackson ever tied to the Skull Island movie?

ETA: I should also say that I have yet to see the Skull Island movie so my thoughts are pure conjecture and trying to recall things I read a while back.

I

AndrewsJ

I will say that watching the Dark Universe video in the OP gives me chills. Universal's Classic Monsters are masterpieces unto themselves. Sometimes cheesy and ridiculous but masterpieces just the same. I know this idea has been run into the ground but I would absolutely love a dark ride attraction along the lines of EFG featuring all of the Universal Classic Monsters. My fingers are crossed that the upcoming reboot is amazing. Personally Fallon and SIROK do not excite me, I think they are well enough done attractions just not IP that excite me but if handled with the dignity they deserve the monsters could make a big comeback. What worries me are the previously mentioned Fallon and SKROK attractions though. If Universal ever does bring their monsters into a dark ride I would want something groundbreaking.

AndrewsJ

I wasn't very excited upon hearing the news, because I love the classic monsters.

I should have read this before my last comment because you used the words I was looking for. Do we really need another Depp Dark Shadows just with an invisible man instead of a vampire? In my mind thats all I think he is capable of doing. I will gladly allow Universal to prove me wrong though. If they could harness the movie magic that I feel when I watch the OP video then I would be all in.

JT3000

I believe they originally hoped to synergize the attraction's opening with the film, when it was still at Universal, but it was always going to be based on Peter Jackson's King Kong.

As for this "dark universe," if it's going to be as crap as it looks, I want it to stay as far away from the parks as possible.

Tayoboy

In the Parks
Yes
Well from an Attractions Magazine article, one rumor is that depending on how the mummy movie does, we might see some overhaul.
"Should the release of The Mummy (2017) indeed kick start Universal’s long-troubled Cinematic Monster Universe, I’ve heard rumors that new footage will be shot with the cast and elements from the film will be placed throughout the Revenge of the Mummy ride, although the track layout will remain the same. With this will come an extensive refurbishment of the track and perhaps new trains, or at the very least they’ll be renovated. Should Universal Orlando change its mind, I’ve heard Universal Creative has alternative ride concepts to replace Revenge of the Mummy entirely with a brand new experience."

Source: http://attractionsmagazine.com/rumor-queue-top-theme-park-rumors-2017/

So this is one possibility.

BuddyThomas

Well, now that this is one of the biggest flops in recent motion picture history, I guess we can stop worrying about replacement/adjustment of current Mummy ride?

JT3000

Well, now that this is one of the biggest flops in recent motion picture history, I guess we can stop worrying about replacement/adjustment of current Mummy ride?

Unless you count the in-your-face shilling of it in the gift shop.

How ironic that a series about the undead is DOA.

seascape

Mummy may still find its way into the Florida parks even with it being a flop in North America. It is doing very well in the rest of the World and there are lots of visitors to Orlando from outside the US.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom