Universal Website now has Disney comparison chart!!

captainbuzzy

No one that I have ever talked to has said that they were going to Orlando (from Michigan) with the explicit purpose of seeing Universal Studios.

It may make me want to see what the "competition" offers but to me Universal is not a destination resort like Disney World. I think of it more like a Cedar Point that operates all year long.

shoppingnut

I like both too and both have some excellent restaurants. Emeril's on Citywalk and Emeril's TChop are top notch restaurants and I have eaten at both of them and they are right up there with the Yachtman Steakhouse. And, from what I understand Emeril's on Citywalk and The Palm restaurant you need to plan way ahead if you want to eat there.

Each place has its own pluses and minuses. I happen to like Disney better because I get sick on many thrill rides and there are even rides at disney that I can't go on like Mission Space. But USF has some fun things too, like Grinchmas is lots of fun and the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade. I live in NY and have seen the parade many times in person, but it was so cool that they had a separate area for some of the larger balloons and you could walk up touch them and take photos with them. They had the infamous Cat in the Hat that knocked the lamp post down one year. I've been to Halloween Horror Nights and while I think it was well done, it really wasn't for me, but for a different crowd. They had some fun things like fortune tellers, a blood bar for drinks and haunted houses that were really wild, some of which scared me and I grew up watching horror movies.

As far as their comparison, like has been said before it's marketing to make yourself look good, not the other guy and in no way meant to be a comprehensive listing. Just look at some TV commercials for other products when they do comparisons, of course they leave out good stuff about their competition because it doesn't help sell their products. As far as the comparison chart, who knows what the person's familiarity with disney might even be, probably was done from research materials.

One thing is certain, competition is good and without it, Disney probably would not have added quite as many new and exciting rides.

NemoRocks78

Seized
Premium Member
WDWShawn said:
NBC didn't even want the piece of garbage here in Orlando, though they have decided to stay on for another year in order to increase the visibility of its now faltering network.

If NBC didn't want them, why are they putting so much money into them now? IMO, the parks look fantastic and I am seeing more painting and cleaning going on then before, so I do not believe you can call these two fine parks "garbage." Not only that, but the parks actually GAINED money for GE last year, so I'm sure they won't be looking into dumping them in the near future.

BTW, I would like to thank TennisPlayer519 for calling me a traitor and sending negative rep my way. :wave:

slappy magoo

This is in response to people saying "Why compare?" Looking at the "competition" from a marketing standpoint, it's apparent that Universal Studios' aggressive tactic was geared towards people who are more into the thrill-ride aspect of the parks as opposed to the "magic" of the surrounding areas. By focusing on the type of parkgoer who wants thrills and action first and foremost-you know, those hip trendy Gen X/Yers that the world revolves around?-Universal is using comparision as a way to claim that they're edgier than WDW. Plus, while you can't exactly call Universal a "little guy," there is a type of personality that responds to taking a shot at the biggest fish in the pond. It makes certain people want to check it out and see if their boasting is justified. Maybe it's NOT justified, but it's all about getting crowds there. Universal's got to crow to be heard above the din of rental cars heading down the road to WDW. The "sticking it to the man" style of ad often plays well to teens and early-20s, and Universal (rightly) is trying to change their mindset NOW before they get older. If they can convince that generation that Universal is cooler than WDW, that will help keep them ahead of the rest of the non-Disney pack for quote a while.

And that's the other thing-if Universal tried to compare themselves to all the other non-Disney attractions and parks, lots of people are just going to tune out, because all they care about is going to Disney. After all, Disney is so expensive for the average family (albiet with perks and lots of add-ons), there's often no time or money to go anywhere else. If Universal tried to compare their parks to Busch Garden or Sea World, who cares? By swiping at the big guy, they get people's attention (as the number of responses to this thread can attest).

Do I think the comparision chart is misleading? Sure. Most comparision charts are. Do I think a lot of people will be fooled by it? I'm sure a few will. Not everybody wants to do homework when it comes to a vacation, and some people will stumble upon the website and be convinced. They're the same type of people who will be convinced by a travel agent hyping the virtues of USF over WDW without asking "Hey, wait a minute...is your commission bigger on a USF vacation?"

But what it all bois down to is this: USF will probably ALWAYS be number two to WDW, but they can't ever be complacent about it either. Even when they're not pumping much into new rides or attractions, they have to pump money into the illusion that theyre gunning for Disney. Disneyphiles, don't take it personally. It's actually a compliment. You can't make the claim that youre "better then the best"...unless you AREN'T the best.

Lynx04

captainbuzzy said:
No one that I have ever talked to has said that they were going to Orlando (from Michigan) with the explicit purpose of seeing Universal Studios.

It may make me want to see what the "competition" offers but to me Universal is not a destination resort like Disney World. I think of it more like a Cedar Point that operates all year long.

Depending on how long my vacation is depends on where I go. When I go down for my 10 day vacation I stay at Disney, but when I go down for a 3 or 4 day vacation I stay at Universal. I couldn't go down for 10 days and stay at a Universal Resort. That is why I love Disney, their is so much to do their. But the edgy products at Universal is more appealing to me when it comes to attractions. Length of stay is the only thing that makes me visit one park over the other. I am also fortunate enough to get the opportunity to go to Orlando a few times a year. I go for one long vacation and two or three short vacations.

Pumbas Nakasak

Heading for the great escape.
Haven’t wasted my time reading all the inane drivel posted on this thread as Ive long since given up expecting a mature discussion and know we can only ever return to a my dads bigger than your dad nonsense.

The worrying thing overall is that many feel qualified to comment but have neither visited Universal or stayed at the resorts.

Besides I cant get too excited arguing about the merits of the most number of short arsed hairy blokes in a gimp suits pretending to be an animated character. :rolleyes:

tk421-sw

Eeyore said:
Actually that is not the way the reputation system is intended to work. If you disagree with someone you can post to the fact or you can send them a PM. The reputation system is intended to let new members know who they can and can't trust information from. If someone is constantly rude or posts bad information then they should have a poor reputation. If someone posts good information and is kind and courteous to others then they should have a good reputation. Agreeing or disagreeing with people's opinions should have nothing to do with it.

except that's what you did to me!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom