Universal Puts Disney's Reopening on Defensive

ElvisMickey

Did you guys get the email at 1AM this morning stating that Disney is going to resume monthly pass payments as soon as the parks reopen? Love the timing on that announcement...sneak it in there while most people are sleeping.

Attachments

• 72C99EEC-F7E2-46CE-B016-9E5BBD5FD679.jpeg
    72C99EEC-F7E2-46CE-B016-9E5BBD5FD679.jpeg
    116.2 KB · Views: 121

pdude81

Did you guys get the email at 1AM this morning stating that Disney is going to resume monthly pass payments as soon as the parks reopen? Love the timing on that announcement...sneak it in there while most people are sleeping.

That looks like an email that would habe gone out 2 months ago

ElvisMickey

That looks like an email that would habe gone out 2 months ago

They sent out one just a couple of days ago that didn’t include any info on when monthly payments would resume. This one was the update. I’ve literally never gotten an email from Disney at 1AM prior to this. I’m sure they know that this isn’t going to go over well. Nothing like paying full price for a Premiere pass when I can’t get full Premiere benefits. I believe someone posted last night that Shanghai isn’t resuming pass payments until the resort is operating 100% with no restrictions. Obviously that’s not happening at WDW.

Unbanshee

That is not new information. That has been the published plan since at least April 2nd

ElvisMickey

That is not new information. That has been the published plan since at least April 2nd

Yeah I get that and believe me, I’ve been paying plenty of attention. But on April 2, it didn’t include all the information that it now does. That’s why they sent the email UPDATE. I don’t think anyone was expecting to go back to paying full price for an AP, especially when your tier is no blackout dates, when it’s not guaranteed that you can get into the parks.

Last edited:

_ZJ

I think the point is more that if an outbreak is tied to Universal while Disney has held back and remained closed, Disney will look sensible and responsible while Universal will look like it opened too early and risked people's lives in the process.

Honestly, I hope Disney doesn't rush reopening plans just to catch up to Uni.
Why wasn’t there an outbreak in March? Stop believing the fear mongers.

Unbanshee

I don’t think anyone was expecting to go back to paying full price for an AP, especially when your tier is no blackout dates, when it’s not guaranteed that you can get into the parks.

I can't possibly think that people would assume Disney would discount their existing AP contract at all though, right?

I get that there is the looming fear that people won't be able to get into the parks, but we don't know what the reservation restrictions will be. Disney has painted a picture of the worse case scenario that an AP won't be able to get into the parks, but who knows what demand will look like a week after opening.

If you're unable to get into the parks on the day that you want to, I'm sure Disney will refund the $2.74/per day that you're paying. Other than that, why would they discount APs because of a new reservation system?

lazyboy97o

I can't possibly think that people would assume Disney would discount their existing AP contract at all though, right?

I get that there is the looming fear that people won't be able to get into the parks, but we don't know what the reservation restrictions will be. Disney has painted a picture of the worse case scenario that an AP won't be able to get into the parks, but who knows what demand will look like a week after opening.

If you're unable to get into the parks on the day that you want to, I'm sure Disney will refund the $2.74/per day that you're paying. Other than that, why would they discount APs because of a new reservation system?
In Shanghai the extension of Annual Passes includes the period of reduced capacity.

Unbanshee

In Shanghai the extension of Annual Passes includes the period of reduced capacity.

Yeah, it'll be interesting to see if Disney does the same domestically or not. The current wording says that guests will be charged once the parks reopen with no mention about reduced capacity

ElvisMickey

A discount isn’t the question. Shanghai isn’t starting AP payments until the parks are open at 100% with no restrictions. That’s what WDW needs to do. Honestly, I’m not going because I have no desire to wear a mask in the Florida heat/humidity. So for me it’s not a question as to whether I can get in the parks or not.

Rich Brownn

A discount isn’t the question. Shanghai isn’t starting AP payments until the parks are open at 100% with no restrictions. That’s what WDW needs to do. Honestly, I’m not going because I have no desire to wear a mask in the Florida heat/humidity. So for me it’s not a question as to whether I can get in the parks or not.
Shanghai isn't started AP payments because right now the AP cannot be used at all. You need to purchase a separate day-stamped ticket regardless if reservations are available or not.

pdude81

So they are going to tell Platinum Plus pass holders that for their $1,300 they can only come in a couple of days this summer if they register and do so before anybody else who might have gotten in line ahead of them? But not extend further?

Disney Dad 3000

Yeah, it'll be interesting to see if Disney does the same domestically or not. The current wording says that guests will be charged once the parks reopen with no mention about reduced capacity
Yeah, I'll be keeping an eye on that. Our passes expire 7/18 and had been holding off on deciding for partial refund or taking the extension if we thought we wanted to keep a late July or Aug trip. Had no intention of renewing this summer even before Covid since probably wouldn't be back til next summer. If they don't run the clock during reservation period, may actually consider renewing. Wont be making any decision though til as late as possible to see what's going on. Makes no sense to renew now without more info.

zengoth

We re-upped our annual in April to avoid expiration and have yet to be charged anything. Waiting to see what the final hoops to jump through will be before investigating ways to possibly cancel the whole thing.

robhedin

Shanghai isn't started AP payments because right now the AP cannot be used at all. You need to purchase a separate day-stamped ticket regardless if reservations are available or not.
This isn't true. From The Shanghai Disney Web Site:

"Guests are required to purchase dated admission tickets prior to their arrival, and Annual Pass holders must make a reservation for their visit date and time through the resort’s official online channels before their visit to the park."

and..

"Annual Pass holders who purchase an Annual Pass during the Advanced Reservation Period are required to redeem the pass and get the Annual Pass number before making a reservation at https://shdr.cn/df. The Advanced Reservation Period will not be counted as part of the Annual Pass validity period."

Shanghai Annual Passholders do not have to buy a ticket to get into Shanghai Disneyland; they just have to make a (free) reservation. And the their pass is being extended until the reservation system is no longer required.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom