Universal Orlando Getting Bigger, Better, Wetter, Wilder

LeRaposa

Can you give the figures on that? Seemingly Disney's attendance has been growing just as fast if not faster.

Here's the 2008 figures (do a ctrl+f search and you'll find Islands' attendance figures) for Islands and here's 2013's. From 2008-2013, Universal built Harry Potter (as well as Transformers) and attendance went up by nearly three million. If Universal keeps up with building new attractions then attendance should keep going up. They've built more Harry Potter now, are building a mini King Kong land, Fast and Furious opens this summer, and Despicable Me the ride was built. Meanwhile Disney has built the Mine Train and New Fantasy Land.

Pieter

2014 was a Universal year for my family. My daughter turned 10 so we thought she was the right age for their offerings. Being South Floridians we spent a lot of time this past year in UNI and had a blast. UNI has definitely stepped up their game. While we were enjoying our time in UNI as a family we couldn't help but miss Disney. The more we went to UNI the more we missed Disney. This year we are planning on not renewing our UNI passes and instead getting Disney passes again. Maybe we'll switch back and forth every other year.

Both companies do a great job, but they are very different. Competition is great for both companies. Keep pushing each other to make my annual pass decision harder and harder.

sshindel

The Epcot Manifesto
It's why the two parks have seemingly been on different trajectories. Universal is building like mad to capitalize on the success they had with Potter. Disney is building for a few years down the road, because for now, while Universal's growth has been skyrocketing, Disney's attendance is not dropping, the rising sea is raising all boats.

Now, I'm not defending Disney for playing the long game per se, but I understand why the urgency is not there. Can you imagine if New Fantasyland contained a massive, crowd drawing E-ticket? The crowds are getting unmanageable there already. They needed to add some capacity to that overstretched park, and they did so. Now they need to invest in their other parks, which is in progress at DAK, and look to be ready to do with DHS. My beloved Epcot is a smoldering wasteland, and if Disney does not start work on major improvements there before it's 40th, it will be writing it's one-way ticket to the bottom of the attendance line with or without it's guest-spending-fueled festivals.

Universal on the other hand is drawing new visitors to Florida, new visitors to Uni, stealing days from Disney, and making a major play in the "Resort" game. This makes sense for them because they either were going to remain fairly level at the place that they were, far behind Disney, or they were going to make a major play at cutting into the lead. With the reputation that they are getting by build-build-build, they are going to need to continue to invest in their parks at their current rate from here on out. Any break in building is going to feel like stagnation, and IMO the screen based attractions are going to age quicker than physical sets.

twebber55

Haven't really heard any negative backlash to this. If it increased the number of people buying two park tickets then it is a win for Uni. If it truely had been a mistake, they would have changed the policy by now.
I believe 80% of the people who attend universal get park to park and this number seemingly has went up since DA has opened....I think this was addressed at the last conference call a few days ago

DisneyJayL

In the Parks
No
Here's the 2008 figures (do a ctrl+f search and you'll find Islands' attendance figures) for Islands and here's 2013's. From 2008-2013, Universal built Harry Potter (as well as Transformers) and attendance went up by nearly three million. If Universal keeps up with building new attractions then attendance should keep going up. They've built more Harry Potter now, are building a mini King Kong land, Fast and Furious opens this summer, and Despicable Me the ride was built. Meanwhile Disney has built the Mine Train and New Fantasy Land.
Thanks

CTXRover

The one issue with Universal to me is that many of their rides have very similar plotlines. Of their new additions to USF, Gringotts, transformers, Simpsons and despicable me are all very similar in that they are (or feel like) simulator type rides in front of screens. In fact, Gringotts, Simpsons and Transformers all have a part where something "pulls" your ride vehicle.

They are all great additions and Universal is delivering a great experience, but a bit more diversity in their attraction line up may be a good idea.

Slowjack

Ugh...define overtake. This is not a game of RISK. Every penny that is spent on Universal property is a penny not spent on Disney property. Every penny Universal gains IS overtaking a penny from Disney.
That's not really true. On a literal level, yes, the specific dollar spent in one place isn't spent somewhere else, but the increased attendance at one park doesn't have to be cannibalized from another. If that were the case, it wouldn't make sense for WDW to have four parks. Some people, of course, will just say they have X days in Orlando and each day they choose to be at one resort is a loss for another. But new attractions also drive increased Orlando-area tourism which ultimately benefits everyone. For example, a family that likes both resorts may have not been thinking of coming to WDW next year, but who comes to Orlando to visit something new at Universal, may decide to put in a couple of days at their WDW favorites. More people visiting Orlando for whatever reason puts more money in local pockets, some of which will get spent at WDW. And so on. Economics is not a zero-sum game.

In short, Universal upping their game is both a benefit and a concern for WDW, and the long-term impact isn't easy to predict.

BryceM

I think a big Universal misstep was not allowing 1 park guests ride the Hogwarts Express.
Which would practically defeat the purpose of the attraction and just generate capacity issues to the point that you would most likely be complaining about how their biggest misstep was allowing one park guests to ride.

halltd

Those same folks said that Gringotts was going to be the most amazing E-ticket ever built, and it was a huge letdown.

Gringotts was a huge letdown? Seriously? Not to get into a debate about Universal attractions on a Disney site, but wow. I'm a MASSIVE Disney fan and have been since basically birth. I boycotted Universal forever because they were the "evil competition" and didn't really have anything worthwhile to see...or so I thought. I went for the first time about a month ago and Gringotts blew me away...as did all of the Harry Potter areas. I have huge expectations for themed areas, rides, and experiences, too. Besides the elevator effect in the queue, I thought that ride was amazing and arguably the best E-ticket ever built. It makes Soarin' look like a kiddie ride from 1994. The only ride at Disney I would say is equally immersive as Gringotts is Tower of Terror...and I'm talking when all the effects are actually working. I'm a bit stunned as to how anyone would say that Gringotts was a huge letdown.

Universal has upped their game a LOT and I'm super excited to see what they keep producing.

sshindel

The Epcot Manifesto
Gringotts was a huge letdown? Seriously? Not to get into a debate about Universal attractions on a Disney site, but wow. I'm a MASSIVE Disney fan and have been since basically birth. I boycotted Universal forever because they were the "evil competition" and didn't really have anything worthwhile to see...or so I thought. I went for the first time about a month ago and Gringotts blew me away...as did all of the Harry Potter areas. I have huge expectations for themed areas, rides, and experiences, too. Besides the elevator effect in the queue, I thought that ride was amazing and arguably the best E-ticket ever built. It makes Soarin' look like a kiddie ride from 1994. The only ride at Disney I would say is more immersive than Gringotts is Tower of Terror...and I'm talking when all the effects are actually working. I'm a bit stunned as to how anyone would say that Gringotts was a huge letdown.
I won't say huge letdown, but I'll say I expected more. That is strictly based on how good FJ was.
Soarin sucks too though, so you have a point there.

sshindel

The Epcot Manifesto
I believe one of the differences between the camps of fanbois is the fact that a lot of Universal Fanbois were Disney Fanbois first.
Most of the straight up Disney Fanbois hated Uni before Uni started making their home team look bad.
Correction. Most Disney Fanbois didn't even think about Uni until they started investing heavily into their parks. Hate would be way too strong of a word for something you thought nothing of.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom