Universal Orlando accelerates hiring, increases pay

trr1

Original Poster
Universal Orlando is hiring more than 2,500 new team members and continuing their plan to increase base hourly pay to $10, Resort officials shared today.

New team members are being hired for full-time, part-time, and seasonal positions across all of Universal Orlando this summer. The accelerated hiring includes areas such as Culinary, Food Services, Security, Custodial, Parking & Transportation, Warehouse, and more.
for full article go here

No Name

I applaud any company for raising their base pay in any situation.

Though it must be noted that Disney is also paying cast members a minimum of $10 an hour this year. They've gradually increased the pay, going from $8.03 in 2013 to $9.00 in 2014, $9.50 in 2015, and $10 this year.

Universal has done the exact same Disney. $9.00 in 2014, $9.50 in 2015, and $10 this year.

It's great to see the cast members' and Universal folks' pay increase, and they truly deserve it. I like and fully agree with this line from a professor named Duncan Dickson, "If you're a merchandise person at one of the new merchandise shops in Diagon Alley, there's a lot more expected of you in terms of entertainment value than if you're a clerk at Target or a clerk at Walmart."

And I'm glad the pay is becoming more reflective of that.

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/business/os-disney-10-hour-20140725-story.html
http://www.orlandosentinel.com/business/os-universal-starting-pay-20150415-story.html

Tom Morrow

To be honest, this kind of seems like a PR news piece and nothing more. They always hire a boatload of people multiple times a year, and now there are new venues opening up as well.

I've said all along that many frontline jobs at Disney and Universal are easily worth 11 or 12 bucks an hour based on what is expected of employees and what they go through compared to similar jobs.

FWIW, SeaWorld's base rate is also $10 now as well.

raven

I've said all along that many frontline jobs at Disney and Universal are easily worth 11 or 12 bucks an hour based on what is expected of employees and what they go through compared to similar jobs.

Louder, please. LOUDER!

Theme parks follow each other in pay scale and one isn't going to pay much higher than the other if they can get away with it. I did a role at Disney that started at $7.80/hour several yeas back even though the union said that the same job elsewhere pair $15/hour. But Disney holds it over your head implying that there are 30 people in line at Casting who would do that same job for that wage. :rolleyes: This was a manual labor job in the heat yet paid the same as CMS trading pins in the park walking around with a pan and broom.

TubaGeek

God bless the "Ignore" button.
The good ol' days certainly are put into perspective when I'm reminded how little I was paid...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom