Universal has made me a believer

SiriusBlack

Original Poster
Hello All,
I rarely post here, and I almost never post new topics... but I thought I'd share my past week with everyone.

I had been to the Universal parks a few times in the past (twice to the studios, once to the IOA). These trips were always one day breaks from a Disney Vacation. Disney has always been king, but as you can see from my alias here I am also a HUGE Harry Potter Nerd so when I heard about the WWOHP I wanted to check out Universal Orlando again.

Last week was my last college spring break. Very Last minute, I was able to book a very reasonable vacation package on the Universal website.

My hotel was within 2 miles of the parks (a 25 minute walk). And the Parks BLEW my expectations out of the water. Part of the package included early admission to wizarding world of harry potter. After going there first thing, the rest of each park was very uncrowded. I basically walked on rides on Wednesday and Thursday. The theming of nearly every ride was on par with any Disney attraction. Four have broken into my top 10 orlando attractions (The Mummy, Spider-Man, Jurassic Park, and The Simpsons Ride).

Surprisingly the only ride that did not live up to my lofty expectations was Harry Potter and the Forbidden Journey. Hogwarts was AMAZING and the que area was perfect, but the ride itself was too fast paced and jerky. I honestly wish it was more like a Hogwarts version of the Haunted Mansion where you ride around slowly seeing the Castle. But, Universal wanted a thrill ride and it is cool but too jerky. I'd give it a 6.5, though the effects were cool.

Hogsmeade was amazing! Throughout the day, this part of the park did get very crowded. But by 8 PM you could freely walk around and check everything (but Olivander's) out. Universal did a great job including a ton of minor details true HP fans will check out. Also, Frozen Butterbeer is a Godsend.

The main reason for me posting this is that I feel Disney should be a tiny bit worried. In the past, Universal trips had always been far too crowded and I never realized how great the parks was. Due to WWOHP, I went on a Universal only vacation for the first time ever (3 days in the parks). And even though the ride wasn't my favorite, the World did its job. I am definitely thinking about planning another vacation there in the near future. The cost was very low, especially if you room with multiple people and especially compared to staying at a Disney resort.

I LOVE Disney world. And I can't wait for the FantasyLand expansion, but Universal parks are just as good. If you haven't been in a while, I strongly recommend it. Just try to avoid peak crowd levels, and you will love the Parks and the Rides. Final Word of Caution: The rides are directed towards a younger audience and can be pretty intense overall. That being said, the Studios have great shows that parents can take in while their kids do the intense stuff.

SiriusBlack

Original Poster
Also, the only Problem I found with the parks was the Universal Express offering (their version of the FastPass that you have to pay for). If they were to switch this with something more similar to the FastPass the parks would be even better. I had little problems because of the low crowds, but on a peak day I am sure it is hard to ride certain rides without the Express Pass. This was literally my only complaint about the parks.

jimscafs

Universal has already surpassed Disney world in my book. I am planning my second consecutive trip to Orlando without stepping foot onto Disney's Property. The plan is to do Universal Studios, IOA, Seaworld, Aquatica, and Busch Gardens. It will be my first visit to Aquatica and Busch gardens. I find that that Universal parks compliment the Busch parks very nicely.

I think personally the only thing Universal is missing is a top flight waterpark to compete with Disney's Tyhpoon lagoon and Blizzard beach, and a more affordable hotel option.

SiriusBlack

Original Poster
Universal has already surpassed Disney world in my book. I am planning my second consecutive trip to Orlando without stepping foot onto Disney's Property. The plan is to do Universal Studios, IOA, Seaworld, Aquatica, and Busch Gardens. It will be my first visit to Aquatica and Busch gardens.

I think personally the only thing Universal is missing is a top flight waterpark to compete with Disney's Tyhpoon lagoon and Blizzard beach, and a more affordable hotel option.

While my hotel was not a universal hotel, it was closer to the Parks than most Disney hotels are to their Parks. My hotel was also across the street from wet n wild. It isn't a Disney water park, but it's still big and has good slides.

wizards8507

Do-not-feed-the-troll.png

jimscafs

While my hotel was not a universal hotel, it was closer to the Parks than most Disney hotels are to their Parks. My hotel was also across the street from wet n wild. It isn't a Disney water park, but it's still big and has good slides.

I've stayed at the hyatt Place that was about a mile away. It was about a 30 minute walk, so i was reasonable close. I just think it'd be nice to have a more affordable hotel option that was themed by universal, and provided transportation to the parks. I've also stayed at the royal pacific and Portofino before. They were great, but are rather expensive.

I'm not a big fan of wet & wild. I did it once, and was a bit underwhelmed. I don't feel like its much competition for Typhoon Lagoon or Blizzard beach.

wizards8507

What trolls? The people with a different opinion than your own?
In Internet slang, a troll is someone who posts inflammatory, extraneous, or off-topic messages in an online community, such as an online discussion forum... with the primary intent of provoking other users into a desired emotional response or of otherwise disrupting normal on-topic discussion.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Troll_(Internet)#cite_note-IUKB_def-1

The whole point of these posts was to irritate the fanboys and revive the Harry Potter discussion that has been butchered to death on countless other threads.

jimscafs

In Internet slang, a troll is someone who posts inflammatory, extraneous, or off-topic messages in an online community, such as an online discussion forum... with the primary intent of provoking other users into a desired emotional response or of otherwise disrupting normal on-topic discussion.

The whole point of these posts was to irritate the fanboys and revive the Harry Potter discussion that has been butchered to death on countless other threads.

I know I didn't mention Harry potter once in my posts. I'm not even a harry potter fan, but will be excited to just see a new addition to a park that I already feel is the best in Orlando.

wizards8507

I know I didn't mention Harry potter once in my posts. I'm not even a harry potter fan, but will be excited to just see a new addition to a park that I already feel is the best in Orlando.

Those were the OP's intentions. You seem to have ulterior motives, as you've only made three posts in the forum and the very first one is about how you're planning your second consecutive trip to Orlando "without stepping foot onto Disney property." Which begs the question: Why would he/she join a WALT DISNEY WORLD fan community in the first place, if not to irritate its members?

And that's not to say I'm personally irritated. I could care less about what you say, but why you say it is a perfectly valid reason to flag someone for trolling.

jimscafs

Those were the OP's intentions. You seem to have ulterior motives, as you've only made three posts in the forum and the very first one is about how you're planning your second consecutive trip to Orlando "without stepping foot onto Disney property." Which begs the question: Why would he/she join a WALT DISNEY WORLD fan community in the first place, if not to irritate its members?

And that's not to say I'm personally irritated. I could care less about what you say, but why you say it is a perfectly valid reason to flag someone for trolling.

Because I've been to Disney world 6 times since the mid 90's, and see my self visiting it again eventually. I've been reading the forum for months, but haven't really felt a need to add any input until I saw this post.

SiriusBlack

Original Poster
I posted in the universal Orlando section of this website so I don't understand what the problem is. Sorry you don't like seeing outside opinions

Mr Bill

You've got some spectacular mind-reading powers, knowing what the OPs intentions were.

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult

He posted in the appropriate sub-forum. He has 123 posts - NOT 3.

How do you know what his motives are?

Sorry, this doesn't not reek of trolldom.

I, also, will call a troll a troll, but I think you have miscalled this one.

jimscafs

He posted in the appropriate sub-forum. He has 123 posts - NOT 3.

How do you know what his motives are?

Sorry, this doesn't not reek of trolldom.

I, also, will call a troll a troll, but I think you have miscalled this one.

I believe he was referring to me when he mentioned 3 posts, and not the thread's creator.

unkadug

I believe he was referring to me when he mentioned 3 posts, and not the thread's creator.

Oh...OK....soooo.....Are you a troll? Or merely someone stating their opinion in the appropriate sub-forum that deals with Universal Studios?

wizards8507

You've got some spectacular mind-reading powers, knowing what the OPs intentions were.

I don't claim omnicience. The OP stated his intentions explicitly.

SiriusBlack said:
The main reason for me posting this is that I feel Disney should be a tiny bit worried.

Anyone who has been "reading this forum for months" knows that this conversation has been had. If the OP wanted to continue said conversation, there are venues to do so.

But I see I stand alone, so I'll back out of the conversation.

Carry on.

jimscafs

Oh...OK....soooo.....Are you a troll? Or merely someone stating their opinion in the appropriate sub-forum that deals with Universal Studios?

I like to think I'm the ladder. I was really hoping to get some conversation going with other universal enthusiasts. I have to imagine their are other people who feel the same way I do.

unkadug

I like to think I'm the ladder. I was really hoping to get some conversation going with other universal enthusiasts. I have to imagine their are other people who feel the same way I do.

The latter.

"The ladder" will bring out a lot of funny pictures around here. :lol:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom