Universal Epic Universe (South Expansion Complex) - Opens 2025

trr1

THIS JUST IN: Universal Orlando Resort has just revealed what’s coming to one of Epic Universe’s five worlds, How to Train Your Dragon - Isle of Berk! Here are the major attractions:

🎢 Hiccup's Wing Gliders – soar around Berk on Hiccup’s newest invention
🐉 Dragon Racer's Rally – practice aerobatic maneuvers on this Viking-made trainer
🎯 Fyre Drill – compete with other Vikings in a boat battle
🛝 Viking Training Camp – little Vikings can explore and play in this interactive area
🔥 The Untrainable Dragon – take in a breathtaking stage show where Hiccup and pals encounter a new dragon
📷 Haddock Paddock – meet Hiccup and Toothless, as well as other familiar friends
20240328_085858.jpg
20240328_085855.jpg
20240328_085852.jpg
20240328_085841.jpg

Earlie the Pearlie

Ok, so I watched the 3D flythrough a few times and I’ve got to say…
Wow. The KINETIC ENERGY of this land is going to be OFF THE CHARTS. A central lagoon, a coaster winding throughout, two flat rides (I know there’s a good amount of people in this community who hate flat rides, period, but they’re necessary to beef up capacity, and done well they add a lot to an area), and a boat ride, not to mention animatronics, water features, torches, and potentially drones. I have to say, even without a dark ride, I feel like this is going to be one of the best lands of the last twenty years, and that’s really saying something. For those who might complain about the exposed roller coaster supports, well, Universal has always done things differently than Disney. Personally, I love that for this park, instead of doing exactly what Disney does, they are incorporating a lot of their own style throughout. Overall, I didn’t think I could get any more excited, but I guess I can.
Not to rub this in, but you can eat your heart out, Galaxy’s Edge.
Kinetics is where it’s at 😎

monothingie

❤️Bob4Eva❤️
Premium Member
Wow. The KINETIC ENERGY of this land is going to be OFF THE CHARTS. A central lagoon, a coaster winding throughout, two flat rides (I know there’s a good amount of people in this community who hate flat rides, period, but they’re necessary to beef up capacity, and done well they add a lot to an area), and a boat ride, not to mention animatronics, water features, torches, and potentially drones. I have to say, even without a dark ride, I feel like this is going to be one of the best lands of the last twenty years, and that’s really saying something. For those who might complain about the exposed roller coaster supports, well, Universal has always done things differently than Disney. Personally, I love that for this park, instead of doing exactly what Disney does, they are incorporating a lot of their own style throughout. Overall, I didn’t think I could get any more excited, but I guess I can.
I agree. If what they actually do matches the concepts, it will be amazing.

If this is successful, with a B or C tier IP like "How to Train Your Dragon", it should also serve as a warning to Disney that quality attractions and NOT IP alone will drive guests to you.

wannabeBelle

This. Marie

etc98

The thing that really drives me crazy about this land is that Berk in the movies is on a mountainous island, but the land is so flat. I realize Universal doesn’t really do rock work the way that Disney does, but imagine if this had a Disney style mountain range in the background, with forced perspective huts and buildings to make the village seem larger and more real

Earlie the Pearlie

The thing that really drives me crazy about this land is that Berk in the movies is on a mountainous island, but the land is so flat. I realize Universal doesn’t really do rock work the way that Disney does, but imagine if this had a Disney style mountain range in the background, with forced perspective huts and buildings to make the village seem larger and more real
I am slightly worried that Starfall is going to be literally right next to this and will loom over it. A mountain range could definitely block it. As well as one around the show building for the theater, instead of just painting it with clouds.

Andrew25

I am slightly worried that Starfall is going to be literally right next to this and will loom over it. A mountain range could definitely block it. As well as one around the show building for the theater, instead of just painting it with clouds.
Starfall will be very "obvious" within the land. Video/art just exclude it. With that said, Starfall's color choices are "in-theme" with HTTYD... so it'll blend in to the rest of HTTYD's color palette.

Universal still struggles with hiding showbuildings a bit (then again new Disney does as well), the HTTYD theater is rather obvious with its flat forest mural.

Rich Brownn

I would actually identify myself almost as a bigger fan of Harry Potter and Nintendo than 'insert Disney IP' - Disney just is so vast and contains many things I love.

Gringotts and Mario Kart both fail to properly capture the source material. I don't think failing to capture the source material makes the attraction empirically bad (that wasn't actually my criticism to begin with, it was the poster I was responding to).

I think Radiator Springs Racers captures Mario Kart and Mummy captures Gringotts expected experiences far more successfully. Those a half step away from the source material don't tend to be so harsh on these experiences. Fast and Furious is just a straight bad attraction, no matter if you align with the source material or do not (and I don't).
If they had done a SR version of Mario people would have complained it didn't have any game elements and was just a dark ride version of Racers. Plus Nintendo wanted it to be more family friendly.

DKampy

It seems I am in the minority here…I like the Kinetic energy, but as someone who is childless and has a bit of fear of heights…HTTYD does not move the needle much for me… as even the boat ride is not that exciting to me…doesn’t Lego land have a similar attraction….as someone said there should be some mountainous rock work

People are comparing this to Pandora…but in my mind there will be no comparison… obviously the land is beautiful… but I also think the rides are great… as some who is not crazy about heights Flight of Passage is thrilling to me… plus I disagree with those that complain about Navi River Journey… it was never meant to be an E ticket… but it is a solid D… nice relaxing boat ride with a great final animatronic… I also think the screens work well in the ride as oppose to rides that park you in front of a screen for the simulation… I even feel I will like Galaxy’s Edge over this

The one aspect of this land I am excited for is the show… if it is truly broadway level and the possibility of life size dragons

The 2 lands I am excited for most is Monsters Universe(about time Universal) and Harry Potter… even though I am not a potter head… I feel the other lands are top notch… excited to hear what those entail

WDWFREAK53

It seems I am in the minority here…I like the Kinetic energy, but as someone who is childless and has a bit of fear of heights…HTTYD does not move the needle much for me… as even the boat ride is not that exciting to me…doesn’t Lego land have a similar attraction….as someone said there should be some mountainous rock work

People are comparing this to Pandora…but in my mind there will be no comparison… obviously the land is beautiful… but I also think the rides are great… as some who is not crazy about heights Flight of Passage is thrilling to me… plus I disagree with those that complain about Navi River Journey… it was never meant to be an E ticket… but it is a solid D… nice relaxing boat ride with a great final animatronic… I also think the screens work well in the ride as oppose to rides that park you in front of a screen for the simulation… I even feel I will like Galaxy’s Edge over this

The one aspect of this land I am excited for is the show… if it is truly broadway level and the possibility of life size dragons

The 2 lands I am excited for most is Monsters Universe(about time Universal) and Harry Potter… even though I am not a potter head… I feel the other lands are top notch… excited to hear what those entail
The rollercoaster doesn't look like it goes high at all. Seems to be a really low terrain coaster.

Also, that Toothless meet and greet is hopefully like the Raptor encounter. Not to mention the walkaround dragons and the possibility of the flying dragon drones...should be incredible.

wannabeBelle

The rollercoaster doesn't look like it goes high at all. Seems to be a really low terrain coaster.

Also, that Toothless meet and greet is hopefully like the Raptor encounter. Not to mention the walkaround dragons and the possibility of the flying dragon drones...should be incredible.
Hopefully a less intense version of the Raptor encounter. The coaster looks great and as you said doesnt look terribly high off the ground, a good introduction type of coaster. A little thrilling but not too intense, great for family fun!! Marie

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Small amount????

Then why does Disney and others replicate so often?
Because they only clone successful attractions (not counting clones built at the same time as the original). Sometimes an attraction isn't well-liked by the public. So, cloning a well-liked attraction takes away that uncertainty.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom