Universal becoming more popular than Disney?

Status
Not open for further replies.

agent86

Original Poster
We just got back yesterday from being in Orlando about a week, and a very interesting observation we noticed was an abundance of anti-Disney/pro-Universal statements that we overheard from other guests.

Just a few examples...

We were in Pleasure Island the first night we got there and we overheard someone saying to their group, "This place blows. Let's go back to City Walk". (I have to say, I pretty much agreed with that observation :lol:)

We were at Islands of Adventure and we overheard a woman with kids tell her husband, "This place is soooooo much better than Disney."

Leaving Magic Kingdom, we overheard a father say to his little girl (My best estimate was that she was probably about 9 or 10), "Do you want to come back here tomorrow or do you want to go back to Islands of Adventure, where we were yesterday?" The little girl responded, "Islands of Adventure! Islands of Adventure!"

We were renting Sea Raycers at Fort Wilderness and there was a couple renting them also. While we were waiting on the dock, we struck up a conversation with them and found out they (like us) had also visited the Universal parks on this trip. I mentioned that I thought it was really cool Disney had these, and that I always rent them every time I go to Orlando. The wife responded and said she wished Universal rented them, and that if they did, there would be no reason for them to come to Disney because Universal's parks blew Disney's away. Her husband then piped in and said Disney just does well because of their reputation, but that Universal was superior and will probably eventually surpass Disney in attendance as more people discover Universal.

When we were in the airport checking in for our flight home, there was a lady in front of us and we struck up a conversation with her. She asked us what all we did during our trip and I said that we had done Disney and also Universal. She replied, "Oh I LOVE Universal! It's the BEST!"

There were several other comments that we heard throughout the trip that were basically the same types of opinions as the above examples. I've heard similar comments on previous trips, but it was way more noticeable this time. I'm just wondering if things are really diminishing at Disney, or if Universal is getting better, or perhaps a combination of both. I'm sure if you did a side-by-side comparison of attendance figures, one might argue that the numbers speak for themselves and that Disney is more popular. But I'm wondering if that just means that one guest was right...that Disney is basically just getting by on their reputation and eventually more people will start choosing Universal over them.

I also have to admit that on this trip I noticed more things about Disney that I found a little disappointing (i.e. cast members not as friendly as usual, things left dirty or broken, etc) where Universal tended to exceed my expectations in a lot of areas.

Anyway, just a personal observation. Thoughts?

krankenstein

I agree to a certain extent. I personally feel that Universal is an excellent facility, anyone without there "Disney is God" goggles on can agree to this. But, Disney is still #1 in my book, b/c that is what I simply prefer. Universal is a nice excursion, but it isn't the destination Disney is. Nor will it ever be b/c it is hurt by a lack of space.

That said, the addition of The Wizarding World of Harry Potter will only help Universal gain market share. All in all, Universal's future is looking pretty bright, IMO.

fargosteve

no way

We've done Universal several times, and there are a few things that are fun, but no way would I put Universal in the same league as Disney. We live in Fargo ND, and if I could we would go to DW every year, but I sure couldn't do Universal that often.

If Al Gore would have invented the internet earlier, do you think that people would have been comparing WDW & "Circus World"? In the early '80s, I remember people talking about the Ringling Bros giving WDW a run for its $.

Uni is a nice park. It will never replace WDW. But it does provide a great extra day to the trip.

maryszhi

im not going to lie, the only thing i like about universal is their thrill rides. i love disney alot more. a.more organized, people are nice, they have variety, and i cant even begin to say how much better disney is. universal charges mega dollars for something disney offers for free...fast passes. disney treats everybody who walk through those gates equally, something universal has a hard time with, at least that is what i noticed. i honestly dont think universal will ever be better than disney in anything.

bluefaery

I have been to Universal 2 times in the past 4 years and been to WDW 7 times. I prefer WDW better. I don't care for thrill rides (although I do ride Rock-n-rollar coaster 1 time each trip) so I don't enjoy IOA and IMO Universal Studios is just geared towards more to kids. If I never went to Us or IOA again in my life I would be happy. Althought I do like CityWwalk for 1 reason only....................The Rocky Horror Picture Show (every 2nd and 4th Fri at the theater).

disneytopdog

I was VERY impressed with UA/IOA. It is a beautiful landscaped park with alot of gret attractions. Citywalk IMHO has better resturants then Downtown Disney. I go to Disney every year and make a stop at UA/IOA every 2 to 3 years. To me UA/IOA is the top of the Thrill Park food chain.

DizneyPryncess

Universal has some great thrill rides, and does an excellent job on their theming, particularly in Islands of Adventure. I wouldn't drive to Florida twice a year just to visit Universal though, it's a park I like to do maybe every other year. My basis for this is that it simply lacks the magic for me.

What I love about Disney, that I feel Universal does not have, is the characters - the hidden details like hidden Mickeys - the themed/character dining experiences - and the movie background that I grew up with. I watched & loved all of Disney's movies growing up, and that's what makes WDW so much more magical for me. Yes, I like Dr. Seuss and Spiderman, but it's not the same for me.

I'd like to see some revamping of certain things, and there are areas of WDW I don't love....but overall, nothing will beat MK or Epcot for me. :)

ranDISle

In my opinion I think I'm fine with other people heading over to Universal Studios! I will always LOVE Disney World over anything, so I'm not saying that I don't like Disney World. I just think that those that like Universal Studios better so they head there instead...will free up space in the lines and cut down on crowds. Going to the parks when it's overly crowded isn't my favorite thing...so thinning out the crowds makes me excited!

Also, if Universal really IS taking from Disney's ticket sales they will have to buck up and throw some excitement into the mix...for example...lots and lots of NEW shows, rides, and excitement in general :)

HeatherK

I went to Universal twice and I loved it. I did both parks in one day. The next time I did it in 2 days and I felt 2 days was more then enough because then I got bored. I think its for an older crowd with more thrill rides. The only reason my bf likes it over Disney is for the better coasters {I do think Hulk is awesome!} Though I feel like I can go to Disney for a week and and still not finish everything because there is so much to do. I think Disney is way better then Universal in the aspect that there is a ton of more stuff to do.

wedance6

This brings me to a question.......we were thinking of maybe trying US this year, but how much different is it to the thrill rides that I go on weekly at Six Flags? I'm all for the themeing, but is it worth it for us to spend an extra $150 for just mostly thrill rides, when we have passes to six flags. I know there is Jaws and Jurassic park, is that really any different than riding Dinosaur at AK?
Also we have a 10 year old and a 3 year old. I'm just not sure it's going to be any more spectacular than Disney. Any ideas?:shrug:

krankenstein

This brings me to a question.......we were thinking of maybe trying US this year, but how much different is it to the thrill rides that I go on weekly at Six Flags? I'm all for the themeing, but is it worth it for us to spend an extra $150 for just mostly thrill rides, when we have passes to six flags. I know there is Jaws and Jurassic park, is that really any different than riding Dinosaur at AK?
Also we have a 10 year old and a 3 year old. I'm just not sure it's going to be any more spectacular than Disney. Any ideas?:shrug:

It is worth it!!! Universal is not like Six Flags, they are a theme park, not an amusement park. Universal goes above and beyond with theming and atmosphere. I can honestly say that, IMO, Islands of Adventures is the 2nd best themed park in the U.S. behind DAK. That said, it isn't Disney, but it is the closest facility to Disney you will ever experience. Go, visit, you will not be disappointed.

Btw, the resort is not all thrill rides. Do not be fooled by what you read here.

LudwigVonDrake

If Universal was indeed "better" than Disney they would lead the park attendance list every year. Disney always leads the list with room to spare. Disney had nothing to worry about.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Bring it on - competition is healthy ;)

And WDI still need to be allowed to better Spiderman :D

CinderALLIE

Please like it's a choice

IMO There's nothing to think about. I went to both places in 2006. I had 2 days at Universal (1day for each park) and did everything there (except 3 rides I was not interested in). At WDW I was there for 2 1/2 weeks, and got everything done except a few character meets.

The difference was at WDW I wanted to go on the rides again and at Universal they had a few good rides and that was it. The shows were good though, but it's No Beauty and the Beast or Lion King.
Also when I went both Universal themeparks would close at 6, which meant no Fireworks. I don't know if it was just when I went but there were also no parades.

When I went to Orlando I stayed at Orlando hotel and went to Universal and SeaWorld. Then I hotel-hopped to Disney. I'm glad I saved Disney til last cuz if I had to do Disney then go to Universal and SeaWorld, they would have been a let down. Now I'm not saying the other parks weren't enjoyable I did have fun, and when I go back I do plan on going to them but the Highlight of the trip is and Always will be Disney!!!

Agent1964fem

We went in the middle of May..some of the attractions were awesome ...but
better then Disney ? I personally didn't think so. Alot of the attractions at Universal are geared towards older kids.
My kids loved the new Simpson ride my husband and myself rode The Mummy .
We also noted that alot of the rides promised your doom.

captainkidd

I go to Disney at least twice a year. I went to Universal for a long weekend earlier this year. I was very surprised at just how nice the parks, hotels, resorts were. I thought Universal Studios was better than DHS. However, I didn't care much for IOA. I'm not a huge thrill ride junkie, so it didn't do much for me. There's so much talk about Spiderman, and yeah, it was cool, but I didn't find it in the same league as ToT, Splash Mountain or Everest. The Jurassic Park ride was a real letdown as well.

I don't think either park at Universal is as good as MK, Epcot or AK.
I like City Walk better than PI, but prefer DTD on a whole to City Walk.
Hard Rock Hotel was nice, but didn't compare to WL.

I see Universal as a weekend diversion. No way could I spend more than that there. Disney I can spend 2 weeks easily at.

sublimesting

If Disney added a thrill park as a 5th gate, I could see them trampling Universal. Then Disney would truly have it all. I really wish they had gotten Harry Potter, though. i didn't care at first but have just read all of the books and I really love HP now, it is such a great yarn.

ChrisFL

Premium Member
There are several things that IMO Universal does better than Disney, location between Citywalk, the resorts and the parks can't be beat, the CS food is IMO much better. They also have Mythos, the best theme park restaurant in the world.

Spiderman not in the same league as Disney's thrill rides? Sorry I just can't see that, it has been rated time and time again as the best dark ride in the world, except for one recent survey when it came in second to ToT (which I love as well)

I'd spend a day at IOA over AK any time, and I'd spend a day at US over DHS most of the time, although DHS is finally adding some good attractions.

Yes, Universal is geared toward older kids, they even said it when IOA opened that they wanted kids who were about 8 years and up.

As far as being different than Six Flags...they aren't comparable, not in the least. Universal is completely different, the only thing they have in common is rollercoasters that are outdoors. That is all.

jsdratm

I enjoyed IoA and US a great deal in October. The themes are great, the attractions are great, Halloween Horror Nights is amazing, but the complaint I have is that there aren't enough attractions at Universal Studios and IoA. It took me only a few hours to go through each of them. I loved the rides that they did have, but they need more more more. It looks like they are working on that, so I will be interested to see what it is like after the Harry Potter rides and new arm coaster are built.

Also, I don't like their system where you have to pay more to get the premium pass or you will wait in standby forever. Luckily in October the Universal Parks had very few lines so I didn't experience this, but I have heard that in the summer it is terrible. Disney's FastPass system is much better IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom