Uni is new for us, WDW is not: which would you do first?

Weather_Lady

DH and I are starting to plan the kids' (boy and girl, ages 9 and 11 when we travel) first trip to Universal. We're looking at April-May 2018 (not on Easter break). We're thinking 2-3 days at Universal (that the kids will know about) and another 3 days at WDW (which will be a total surprise to them). We would stay onsite at each place, meaning we'll have to change hotels mid-way through. (For those whose knee-jerk reaction would be, "3 days is not enough time to do more than hit the highlights at WDW!", I know you're right, but this will be the kids' fourth trip, and they can make well-informed decisions about what to do and what to skip during our limited available time.)

I'd like to structure our time so that the most exciting part of the trip is at the end. Please give me your thoughts on these questions:

(1) Should I assume that the most exciting part of the trip will be the visit to the Universal Parks, since that will be all-new, or is there some difference in the quality of the experience between Universal and Disney that would lead you to do Universal first and finish with WDW?

(2) While we're on that subject, is 2-3 days sufficient for a first visit to Universal? If we have, say, 5 full days at our disposal, is 2 Uni days and 3 Disney days (skipping HS) a good way to apportion things?

(3) Is there some way to end a Universal trip with a culinary-and-entertainment "bang" similar to how we might end a WDW trip (e.g., something comparable to a meal at the Contemporary and watching fireworks from the observation deck)?

Thank you in advance for your opinions!

Figgy1

Premium Member
We did our first trip to UNI last summer and ended at UNI. That was one of the best planning decisions we made. As far a something like Wishes from the park, that's something UNI lacks. We managed to find enough to do for about a week but you can do almost everything in 3 days with the express pass which you'll get at either Hard Rock. Portofino or Royal Pacific. One of the best things about UNI is how little planning it takes but do check out the restaurant reviews at touring plans. If you like water parks Volcano bay will be open and that will take up some time if you wish to also do that. The only restaurant that needs an ADR is Mythos which can be busy at times. You need a park to park pass to ride Hogwarts Express between the parks. If you're kids are into Potter plan on doing the morning EMH and get that done before the crowds.

Upvote 0

MomofPrincessGrace

One tip I can tell you from our last visit to Uni is to check park hours. We scheduled everything at WDW so meticulously and went into Uni as if it were just a park like the average Six Flags. Didnt even think to look at the dates and one of the parks closed early for a private event. We were pretty disappointed that we had to leave early and didnt get to experience as much as we would have liked because of our poor planning. Loved Harry Potter World, it was awesome, as was the Hogwarts Express.

Upvote 0

contrariwise

Full disclosure: We have done many Disney trips, and have spent just one day at Universal.

However, this is my 2 cents. Factor in an extra fatigue factor for NOT knowing your way around the Universal parks. Of course, any theme park can take the wind out of you, but I think knowing the Disney parks like the back of your hands gives you an edge that you will not have at Universal. You can still have fun, for sure, but factor in that fatigue factor. For me, I think that would mean tackling it first.

On the other hand, other than the Harry Potter areas, we found Universal to be less crowded and lines were not really an issue (not like Disney, anyway). THAT made it somewhat easier. Even so, I still think I'd do Universal first. If the kids are wishing they were at Disney for the first few days, they'll get the payoff at the end. On the other hand, if you go to Disney first, and then the kids are disappointed in Universal, then you end a trip with a big letdown.

Upvote 0

dm11

My kids are the same age as yours (boy 9, girl 11) although they were a year younger when they visited Universal the first time (been to WDW before). We did Disney first and finished with Uni. Stayed on property at both places. We did 3 days at Uni, counting the day we changed hotels and that was more than enough time for us (we did have Express Pass though).

I think our schedule worked well for us - kids love Disney but they've already seen it before so ending the trip with new stuff was nice. They also loved Universal, there was no let down. I find Uni parks smaller than Disney's. Attractions are top notch (especially Harry Potter stuff) but overall there aren't that many as in MK, or even Epcot (if you count countries). That might be my personal preference though; it probably also depends on what kind of rides you and your family like.

The next time we go (probably this summer) I will most likely have the same setup: 4-5 days at Disney, followed up with 2-3 days at Uni.

Upvote 0

Herdman

I think this all depends on your personal preference. On our last two trips we've stayed our entire trip on Disney property and then arranged transportation to UNI for two days in the middle of the trip. While UNI is great, in my opinion it feels more like an amusement park, similar to Six Flags, Cedar Point, Kings Island or any other park that you might live near. It just lacks that "feel" that you get from Disney. We always plan our last day to be our second day at MK because we want to end our trip with that Disney magic feel.

Again, you'll love UNI because they have some great rides and the Harry Potter stuff is phenomenal. It just depends if you have a particular way you want to end your trip..

Upvote 0

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
I would start with Universal. We've done the double dip twice, and starting at USO feels right.

1. It's exciting to do something new. So starting off the trip that way is very fun.

2. Leaving Disney, even to switch to USO, feels like a bummer. Would hate to feel that only halfway through my trip.

3. If USO leaves you underwhelmed, you still have 3 days at WDW to make up for it.

Upvote 0

chrisbarry

Could never leave Disney for Universal. We've done Universal twice. Both times we spent a few days over there first and then ended our trip at Disney. Universal is a great place to spend a few days, especially Harry Potter - it's amazing. Both times we stayed at The Royal Pacific. I highly recommend it. Great hotel. Big pool. Nice and easy access to parks by boat or on foot. Plus, Universal Express will change your life! Skipping every line - except Potter's big rides - is a real pleasure. Get to either Potter land early - right away each day and then get back there late at night - it's awesome at night. Make sure you have a park to park ticket because the Hogwart's Express shouldn't be missed.

But, as Disney fanatics, ending our trip at Disney is essential to us.

Upvote 0

Disney Stine

In less than a week I'll be doing a split Uni/WDW trip. We have five full park days with two days of driving (10 hr trip). We decided it best to start with Uni and end with WDW. Why? Because Uni is also new to us (first time as an adult for me....) and we know the key rides and elements we want at Disney. We left three days in Uni because we don't know the rides as much, because we don't know the park as well, and because we bought their buy 2 days get 2 days free pass. This gives us a chance to use our 4th day before we drive back home if we want...
Because all of my days IOA and Uni close at either 7 or 8, we decided this would be our prime time to go resort hopping in Disney and check out the (new for us) Disney Springs. This gives a taste of Disney before the parks.

Finally, I specifically left Magic Kingdom for our very last day because if we decide to not use our 4th Uni day, then we are leaving our vacation with the freshest and fondest memories of our last time watching Wishes. To the best of my knowledge and googling, I have not found any evidence that Uni has fireworks (besides what seems to be a water show?). I enjoy watching fireworks as a last send off before planning my next trip.

Upvote 0

DisneyDaver

DH and I are starting to plan the kids' (boy and girl, ages 9 and 11 when we travel) first trip to Universal. We're looking at April-May 2018 (not on Easter break). We're thinking 2-3 days at Universal (that the kids will know about) and another 3 days at WDW (which will be a total surprise to them). We would stay onsite at each place, meaning we'll have to change hotels mid-way through. (For those whose knee-jerk reaction would be, "3 days is not enough time to do more than hit the highlights at WDW!", I know you're right, but this will be the kids' fourth trip, and they can make well-informed decisions about what to do and what to skip during our limited available time.)

I'd like to structure our time so that the most exciting part of the trip is at the end. Please give me your thoughts on these questions:

(1) Should I assume that the most exciting part of the trip will be the visit to the Universal Parks, since that will be all-new, or is there some difference in the quality of the experience between Universal and Disney that would lead you to do Universal first and finish with WDW?

(2) While we're on that subject, is 2-3 days sufficient for a first visit to Universal? If we have, say, 5 full days at our disposal, is 2 Uni days and 3 Disney days (skipping HS) a good way to apportion things?

(3) Is there some way to end a Universal trip with a culinary-and-entertainment "bang" similar to how we might end a WDW trip (e.g., something comparable to a meal at the Contemporary and watching fireworks from the observation deck)?

Thank you in advance for your opinions!

These days I find Universal to be more exciting in a fun way, but WDW to be more exciting in a magical way. I love Universal, but it doesn't give me that immersive magical feeling that WDW does. I have done trips in both orders and have a slight preference for doing Universal first and WDW last ... the reason ties into your last question. Universal doesn't have a comparable "culinary-and-entertainment bang" to WDW. I like to end my Orlando visits with that bang so I prefer to end at WDW. The Universal Cinematic Spectacular is great (and I recommend it), but it's not as great as Wishes or even Illuminations. I also don't think the food at Universal is universally (pun intended) as good as WDW, but there are some exceptions. Cowfish is a can't miss for both adults and kids (try the shakes for dessert). Emeril has two restaurants at Universal ... both are good but not at the level of California Grill at WDW.

In terms of the number of days at each location, 2 days at Universal should be sufficient to see most of Universal Orlando and Islands of Adventure if you plan well. If you also want to go to the new waterpark Volcano Bay, then you likely need to add another 1/2 day. If it fits in the budget, I would suggest staying at Portofino, Hard Rock or Royal Pacific to get the express passes. The Hard Rock is the closet to the parks (about a 5-10 minute walk). I stayed there with my 6 and 8 year old nephews and 11 year old niece and it was perfect. They loved the pool and it was easy to go back and forth to the parks.

Upvote 0

BigRedDad

Staying onsite at US is key. Make sure you are at one of the hotels that gets you in an hour early to Harry Potter and the included front-of-line pass. Its completely up to you, but you can do US/IoA in 2 days and only stay at their hotel 1 night. You will have more than enough time in both parks to do everything and multiple times on each attraction.

Upvote 0

DisneyDaver

To the best of my knowledge and googling, I have not found any evidence that Uni has fireworks (besides what seems to be a water show?). I enjoy watching fireworks as a last send off before planning my next trip.

No fireworks, but a pretty cool show called Universal Cinematic Spectacular in the Studios park. It's no where near as great as Wishes, but still worth seeing.

Upvote 0

DiSnEyF@n

I would say UNI at the beginning of your trip... Just bc I love WDW that much more... I wouldn't want to leave Disney for UNI, but I could totally see going there first and then heading over to Disney to finish out our vacation! Happy planning!

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom