Unfortunate timing of events

laynalee07

Original Poster
My husband just found out that he has to fly back home for a very important audit at work right in the middle of our trip
He will fly in with me on May 6th and leave on May 8th at 5:40 the morning!
He's not sure how long the audit will last (could be 3-5 days) so he will have to book a flight back to Disney on a same day notice.
Then we are set to leave to come back home on Saturday May 13th.
Fortunately my family was flying in for part of the trip so I won't have to be there by myself the whole time.
Talk about horrible timing I feel sooo bad that his vacation is ruined for the most part.
(Side note-my birthday is May 7th )

I am Timmy

I am so sorry! That happened to my family once when my boys were 8,5. We went to California, there one day, he had to leave! I was left there with my boys and his brother (wife and three kids, seperate rooms). We went to Disneyland, Seaworld, the beach, hit Las Vegas on the way home - walked the strip, Circus Circus, the Pirate show, Star Trek Experience..... all for the first time. My husband missed it all. I cried every night on the phone with him after the kids fell asleep, he always made me feel better for the next day, so I could enjoy the time with the boys, make it special for them. They have a load of great memories from that trip, and we've been on lots more since then all together, but some apart. That trip taught us all that we can do things apart and still have a memorable blast. That may have been the first time it happened, but my DH's job proved it would not be the last over the years. He came with us when he could, and when he couldn't he encouraged us to go anyway and not miss all the fun! So, even though there will be a gap in your time with him, you are going to enjoy the trip with him in the beginning, have fun with your family in the middle, and wind up the last part of the trip with a bang! Plus, sounds like he'll be there on your b-day, a blessing in disguise. Not exactly the trip you had planned, but maybe it can still be a trip you can cherish. I wish you all the best!

rob0519

Well it's certainly unfortunate that your husband's company cannot be without him for several days while he is on vacation. I wook for a large corporation that emphasizes time off for family. Pulling someone off vacation is a last resort move. The thought process is, if the person were to quit, wind up in the hospital or in the worst case die, the process (in this case an audit) would still have to go on without him. His company obviously does not have that kind of redundant talent available.

Hopefully, the company will be paying for his airfare home and if the audit lasts only 3 days, his airfare to rejoin you for the rest of the trip.

DuckTalesWooHoo1987

What if he said no? I'm not meaning this to be snarky or anything. I'm asking what would happen if he just straight up told them to deal with it? I don't know that there's any job that is as important as companies make them out to be. I do know that on 9/11 the NYPD and NYFD forced all workers to come in that day but that was a complete catastrophe that had taken place. Most of the time companies make much ado about nothing. I work at UPS and have for 16 years and there are times when mgmt acts like it's the end of the world when certain things happen but it's allllllways an overreaction in the grand scheme of things. UPS has been in business for over 100 years and a day without a certain driver or loader or unloader or supervisor even is not gonna put them in the poor house. I feel really bad for you guys that this is having to happen. Also we will be there from the 4th through the 13th so if you see a short, dorky, looking dude in a Ducktales shirt then say hey because it's probably me. LOL!

JIMINYCR

Ohhhh, what a rotten thing to do to someone. I can't imagine his frustration and anger with them springing this on him. I'd be looking for some alternative and if there isn't any, there should be some major compensation. Having to fly back after arriving so soon and the unknown return time, how can he or you have any enjoyment. When it comes time for employee evaluation, bonus or promotion, I'd remind them of what he gave up for them.

DfromATX

That's terrible! One time we were at Disney and my husband had to take a conference call to find out if they were shutting down or not - and they did shut down. Talk about putting a damper on your vacation! (But it all ended up working out just fine.)

Chef Mickey

An audit? That's not a big deal. Just tell them to deal with it and he'll see them when he's back from vacation. Unless you're a heart surgeon and your patient is dying, someone else can deal with a silly audit.

I learned a long time ago that work isn't worth missing a vacation.

I wouldn't even consider flying home from a vacation to do work crap.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom