unable to dock

Tonka's Skipper

I wonder how that worked out. My understanding is that if the ship is flying a foreign flag, it cannot just sail from an American port to an American port, it has to stop somewhere else as well. That is the supposed reason for the lack of cruises to Hawaii, they either have to port at some out of the way island (I forget the one) or be registered in the USA, which is expensive (that is why most ships are registered with a flag of convenience). I guess if they really WANTED to dock somewhere, and they were not able to, then they get a pass (or maybe they did have to pay a fee)

=-dave

The foreign flag vessels can sail from and to the same US port. They cannot carry passengers to different US ports.

If the foreign flag vessel sails from PC to say......NYC, and discharges passengers there, there is a heavy fine............the last I remember is was $125.00 per passenger. I am not 100
% on fine, but it is heavy!

AKK

wdwstateofmind

Weather can cause some serious problems for ships coming into port. In the 80s the Sunshine Skyway Bridge went down killing a bunch of people because weather added difficulty for a ship coming into port. I know it wasn't a cruise ship that hit it, but it easily could have been. Just thank your captain for having everyone's safety in mind.

Phonedave

The foreign flag vessels can sail from and to the same US port. They cannot carry passengers to different US ports.

If the foreign flag vessel sails from PC to say......NYC, and discharges passengers there, there is a heavy fine............the last I remember is was $125.00 per passenger. I am not 100
% on fine, but it is heavy!

AKK

Ah, that makes sense, or else they would not be able to do those "cruise to nowhere" trips.

Thanks

ChuckElias

NelleBelle

I wonder how that worked out. My understanding is that if the ship is flying a foreign flag, it cannot just sail from an American port to an American port, it has to stop somewhere else as well. That is the supposed reason for the lack of cruises to Hawaii, they either have to port at some out of the way island (I forget the one) or be registered in the USA, which is expensive (that is why most ships are registered with a flag of convenience). I guess if they really WANTED to dock somewhere, and they were not able to, then they get a pass (or maybe they did have to pay a fee)

=-dave
Hmmm--interesting. What about the cruises that go along the west coast (Seattle - San Diego)?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom