Two News Stories from The Orlando Sentinel

rob0519

Original Poster
Here are two news stories from the Orlando Sentinel. Some interesting reading. They both make mention of the "Next Generation Experience"

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/the-...rld-40th-anniversary-20110929,0,4975004.story

"Similarly, a centerpiece of Disney's $1 billion "Next Generation Experience" technology imitative is a new reservation system in which guests will be able to book ride times for popular attractions even before they leave home on their vacations"

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/the-...y-world-40th-followup-20110930,0,801470.story

Alison1975

Interesting, but unfortunately I fear the possibility of being spontaneous at WDW is going away even more.

yep..honestly if the whole Next Gen things takes place we won't be back. I don't like having to make my dinner plans 180 days out..no way I want to plan what rides and when before I leave either.

mickeysaver

The possibility of knowing what ride that I want to ride 180 days in advance was not a foreign concept to me before I moved to FL and visited WDW for vacations. I could pretty much plan out an entire trip knowing the way each day would go down to the bathroom breaks and with alternate scenarios based on weather and other potential factors. Now, not so much. lol

Since moving down here, I am lucky if I get an ADR before we go and usually I don't even plan those unless it's a day like tomorrow will be with the crowds at the MK.

I am now, and I guess forever, a go with the flow WDW park visitor. There is nothing wrong with it, especially with so many years of vacation tourist practice. I just don't see ever really finding the need to get ride appointments sooner than the day of and even then, I can't tell you how many sets of FP's we have handed off since moving down here. I can see a lot of appointment rides being wasted/shared too.

NoChesterHester

I will never understand the negative reaction towards the Next Gen initiatives. They haven't even announced yet how it will work.

If you got a perk as part of staying on Disney property of three use anytime fastpasses for your three favorite rides wouldnt you be pleased?

We have already seen a major shift in the reservation system in Disney finally disallowing multiple ADR's. We have heard rumblings of a SLIGHTLY more strict fastpass return policy. They are tweaking the system.

My point is that very intelligent people are working diligently on trying to make it so the guest spends less time in line, doesn't miss what they want to see, and still has the flexibility to vacation at their leisure. Hold on and give it a chance.

I would love to know what the vast internet fan outcry would have been if fastpass were first introduced tomorrow.

rob0519

Original Poster
yep..honestly if the whole Next Gen things takes place we won't be back. I don't like having to make my dinner plans 180 days out..no way I want to plan what rides and when before I leave either.

I agree. Our situation is such that we cannot plan a vacation 180 days in advance. We were just in the World during the first week of August and our reservations were made in the 2nd week of July. We were fortunate to get a few ADRs, but not all the ones we wanted. I have no interest in fighting people online to ride Splash Mountain.

The "business managers" and accountants are taking the magic and soul out of the experience slowly, but surely. Maybe it's time to bring back Michael Eisner?

NoChesterHester

I agree. Our situation is such that we cannot plan a vacation 180 days in advance. We were just in the World during the first week of August and our reservations were made in the 2nd week of July. We were fortunate to get a few ADRs, but not all the ones we wanted. I have no interest in fighting people online to ride Splash Mountain.

The "business managers" and accountants are taking the magic and soul out of the experience slowly, but surely. Maybe it's time to bring back Michael Eisner?

I've been hearing that lately there is a LOT more walk-up availability lately. It isn't scientific but multiple sources that were recently there have told me of a noticeable change.

Disney knows of our issues with the lack of availability. Every time I book a trip I make it a point to complain about it to guest services. I want them to fix it.

I believe that smart use of technology is the best way. Up until this point the use of technology has been anything but intelligent.

captainkidd

And you know that is what they are planning?

No.

Do you know they are planning to give 3 fastpasses at a time to resort guests?

It's all speculation, but all the speculation appears to say they are going the way of advanced fastpasses:

Similarly, a centerpiece of Disney's $1 billion "Next Generation Experience" technology imitative is a new reservation system in which guests will be able to book ride times for popular attractions even before they leave home on their vacations.

"What we continue to see from a guest expectation is, 'I need you to help me to be able to spend more of the time that's so precious to me with my family [and] not problem-solving, not figuring out where my luggage is, not waiting,' " said Phil Holmes, vice president in charge of the Magic Kingdom, who was collecting now-defunct "E tickets" from guests at the entrance to the Haunted Mansion attraction when the park opened in 1971.

"So I think that's clearly going to be a focus, has always been a focus and, going forward, will be where you see a lot of our … continued breakthroughs."

NoChesterHester

No.

Do you know they are planning to give 3 fastpasses at a time to resort guests?

It's all speculation, but all the speculation appears to say they are going the way of advanced fastpasses:

Similarly, a centerpiece of Disney's $1 billion "Next Generation Experience" technology imitative is a new reservation system in which guests will be able to book ride times for popular attractions even before they leave home on their vacations.

"What we continue to see from a guest expectation is, 'I need you to help me to be able to spend more of the time that's so precious to me with my family [and] not problem-solving, not figuring out where my luggage is, not waiting,' " said Phil Holmes, vice president in charge of the Magic Kingdom, who was collecting now-defunct "E tickets" from guests at the entrance to the Haunted Mansion attraction when the park opened in 1971.

"So I think that's clearly going to be a focus, has always been a focus and, going forward, will be where you see a lot of our … continued breakthroughs."

Just pointing out, doesn't list 180 days. Doesn't really give any specifics. Nothing really.

It is all speculation, you are completely right.

I am just totally unwilling to jump to some negative conclusion until I actually see it in action.

captainkidd

Just pointing out, doesn't list 180 days. Doesn't really give any specifics. Nothing really.

It is all speculation, you are completely right.

I am just totally unwilling to jump to some negative conclusion until I actually see it in action.

I should be more specific. I wouldn't want to book ride reservations at ANY TIME before leaving home.

Glasgow

As a society, we have completely lost or forgotten the concept of patience - it just doesn't exist anymore. We have to be engaged in something at all times. Next time you are in a line, instead of looking down at your phone, take a look around at your fellow line companions .. it's actually pretty funny. Or if you're waiting at the airport bar or something like that - it's almost impossible to strike up a conversation! lol .. sad really

NoChesterHester

I should be more specific. I wouldn't want to book ride reservations at ANY TIME before leaving home.

Since we are speculating...

Alright how about this scenario:

You can get advance fast passes and they can be modified freely up until you scan your ticket that day. That way if you decide to head to the MK rather then ride Everest you can still change it up. Additionally the moment you scan your ticket at the MK it frees up the additional fastpasses you had for Everest that morning for someone else.

The fastpass system was originally devised to take your place in line virtually, allowing you to be elsewhere.

How about an even more flexible system where an active online reservation system allows for immediate and rapid change to these "reservations." You decide mid day to head to another park and check what fastpass times are available on your phone. Viola Disney knows that Epcot's attendance is a little low today and a Soarin fast pass is available for an hour from now. You click ok and grab the bus.

If done right, new tech can be very flexible and can make life easier.

djkidkaz

Giving away 3 fastpasses is pointless cause everyone will choose the same three: TSMM, Soarin and Test Track. The three worst wait time rides. Thus you now have backed up the fastpass for these.

NoChesterHester

Giving away 3 fastpasses is pointless cause everyone will choose the same three: TSMM, Soarin and Test Track. The three worst wait time rides. Thus you now have backed up the fastpass for these.

Everyone that comes to Disney gets fast passes for these attractions anyway. Perhaps it could more properly distribute the crowds and allow for more realistic standby times.

piglet66

My isssue is, the article stated having the advanced systems will allow for more quality family time. When we first started going to Disney in the 70's, we have had good quality family time while waiting in line for a ride. We had to talk while waiting to get on a ride. If you get on and off all of the E-tickets quickly, where are they wanting you to spend your quality family time - in stores, restaurants, jumping from park to park. I agree, I am not so sure I like the loss of spontaneity throughout my day.

koryadams

If the fastpass thing is part of the 1 billion dollar Next Generation thing, then what else is included in this huge money project? Does anyone know?

PhilharMagician

I am interested in seeing how this ride scheduling thing is going to work, but I can say I will not be happy trying to scheduke exactly what I want to do on a specific day. I already find it to be tough to really book ADR's @ 6 months out. Many days we want to change them, but cannot unless we want to eat counter service. Is that what will hapen with rides? If I do not book my rides 6 months out that I will have to ride Imagination my entire vacation or wait in a 3 hour line?:brick: I sometimes find it difficult with todays fastpass system. If I go to get a FP at 11:00 AM for Soarin' and the FP return time is 8:30 PM, I do not always know what we will want to do nearly 10 hours later.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom