Trip Report Turning 30 - A two week birthday celebration!

Hi, everybody! Well, here we are. Two weeks after returning from the World and I’ve had a serious case of the Disney blues. Probably more so than after any other Disney trip we've been on. So, it took me a bit to gather the strength to start a trip report. But, I'm ready to tell you all about our amazing two week trip!

If you didn't read my pre-trip report, let me introduce you to the cast:
From left to right: My mom, My sister Katie, and myself (Crystal)
photo 1.JPG

When: January 10-24
Where: 2 nights at DoubleTree Hilton by Universal; 12 nights at Disney's Boardwalk Villas
Celebrating: My 30th birthday!

So, here we go; let’s just dive right in! (This is my first trip report by the way. Hope you enjoy it :))

Day One - Saturday, Jan. 10 - Arrival Day and Universal Studios!

Saturday morning started off pretty smoothly for Katie and me, considering we only got about two hours of sleep. We were packed. Luggage was by the door. We woke up on time and were ready to go by 4:30 am, which was ahead of schedule! Go us! My dad would be so proud.....

And then, I decided I wanted to double check the weight of my bag. I had been very proud of myself for fitting two weeks worth of clothing and necessities in my suitcase. With room to spare. The mistake I made, however, was thinking the required weight was 50 lbs. But that's for international flights, not domestic. and I remembered that little tidbit at the last minute. I weighed my bag and it was 55 lbs! So, I scrambled upstairs for another suitcase and threw half of my previously, neatly packed stuff into the 2nd suitcase. And at this point, it was closer to 5am, which was still on schedule, but I was now a little frazzled and frustrated that I would have to pay for another bag. But, on the plus side, I'd have room to bring souvenirs back and not have to ship them!

So, we said bye to our fur babies (my dad and uncle would be taking turns taking care of them while we were gone),headed to my parents' house to meet my mom, transferred our luggage to my dad's truck, and were on our way! I made sure to add my extra checked bag online on the way to the airport, and listened to my dad make fun of me for being such a girl with so much stuff :rolleyes:

I don't really have any airport pics. Things went very smoothly. We got through security check, had some breakfast, and then next thing we knew, we were boarding our flight!

Bye Houston!
photo (7).JPG

acrab3t

Loving your TR! Thank you for sharing your Universal time. I am toying with the idea of going just to Universal but it seems like I would be cheating on my first love DW. Harry Potter is just too tempting.

Disneygrl

Original Poster
Loving your TR! Thank you for sharing your Universal time. I am toying with the idea of going just to Universal but it seems like I would be cheating on my first love DW. Harry Potter is just too tempting.
Thanks for following! We LOVED it. That would be a tough decision for me, though. Choosing just one.

Disneygrl

Original Poster
Day 3 Continued...

With our trip around the world complete, we headed to The Seas to visit our ocean friends. This was mom's must do for the day. She's an avid scuba diver and Finding Nemo is her favorite Disney movie.

epcot-0018.jpg

epcot-0020.jpg

epcot-0022.jpg

The ride was basically a walk on, which is always great. After our adventure with Nemo, we decided to stay for Turtle Talk with Crush, which is probably Katie's favorite thing at EPCOT. We had about 15 minutes before the next show, so we decided we'd let mom tell us everything she knows about her ocean friends. Again. lol.

epcot-0028.jpg

epcot.jpg

epcot1.jpg

My mom and dad always ask me to get certified to dive, but why do I need to when I can see all these beautiful ocean creatures while standing on land, breathing unlimited oxygen?
epcot-0032.jpg

Did you know that male seahorses carry and give birth to their young?

epcot2.jpg

Look at this handsome guy.
epcot-0039.jpg

epcot3.jpg

lostpro9het

...This was mom's must do for the day. She's an avid scuba diver and Finding Nemo is her favorite Disney movie...
If this is the case I HIGHLY recommend either DiveQuest or EPCOT Aqua Seas Tour as something she should try. We've done EAST twice and its our FAVORITE tour in the bubble.

Disneygrl

Original Poster
epcot-0041.jpg

I found Nemo!
epcot-0042.jpg

And Dory :)
epcot4.jpg

I could have stayed in that area for hours, but Crush was ready for us. I know it's a kid thing, but that show is just so funny. The question time with the little kids is the best. I really wish I could remember the question one little girl asked that was so funny and probably embarrassed her parents big time. Crush just kinda stared with his mouth open. It was hilarious. Even when we don't have kids with us, we make a point to see the show.

After that we made our way to The Land.
epcot-0045.jpg

You can't go to EPCOT without going on LWTL. At least, I can't.
epcot-0046.jpg

Obviously a walk on, even though the stand-by is posted at 10 minutes lol.

AND we had the boat to ourselves.
epcot-0048.jpg

epcot-0052.jpg

epcot-0053.jpg

epcot-0054.jpg

Disneygrl

Original Poster
epcot-0056.jpg

epcot-0058.jpg

We still had some time before our fastpass for Soarin', and we were getting pretty hungry. So, we decided to grab some food at Season's. I'm pretty sure Katie got some sort of chili, and my mom and I split the grilled chicken. It was ok, but nothing special.

And then for dessert, the 3 of us shared the strawberry shortcake and the candied apple cupcake.
photo 1.JPG

photo 2.JPG

Omg. The dessert is the only reason we tolerate Season's. SO good! :hungry: I honestly didn't expect to like the cupcake as much as I did, but I think I actually liked it more than the shortcake. Disney definitely knows how to dessert.

While we were eating, I got the text letting us know that our room was ready. Our fastpass window had just opened up, so we hit up Soarin' before heading out.
DSC_0060.JPG

Believe it or not, this was my mom's first time on Soarin'. I blame myself, really. Because she gets motion sickness so easily, I've always told her that it might make her sick. Well, she decided to risk it, and guess what... She LOVED it. So, all these years, I've deprived her of the joy that is Soarin'. :oops::facepalm:

We had another fp for TT, but it was currently down, so we headed back to BWV to check out our room and get unpacked. As we were walking into the lobby, the sky opened and it started POURING. It was like it waited for us finish our day in the park. Talk about great timing:happy:

epcot-0062.jpg

photo 3.JPG

These are the only 2 pictures I have of our room. I think I was too eager to get unpacked. Living directly out of my suitcase the last couple of days was really stressing me out.

The rain wasn't letting up any time soon. The weather channel was issuing flash flood warnings and what not, so we decided it would be the perfect time to take a nap. Naps are something I really don't get back home, so it was a welcome luxury. In fact, we took a lot of naps on this trip. Maybe that's why I've been so sleepy in the afternoons lately...

After we woke up and spent some time doing nothing, Katie and I started to get a little stir crazy. Hollywood Studios had EMH that night, and we knew that because of the weather, it would be a low crowd night. So, we put our rain boots on, left the camera behind, and took a boat over to DHS.

We went to TOT first and walked right on. We were seated next to a girl who had run the marathon that weekend and she was hitting up every ride and showing her medals for the ride photo to make a scrapbook when she got home. I thought that was a pretty cool idea.
TOT.jpg

I was pretty impressed with that little girl in the back. She had no fear.

After TOT, we headed straight for RnRC. We rode 4 times in a row with no wait. It was awesome.
RNRC1.jpg

We almost went for a 5th time, but the wait had gone up to 20 min, so we went back to TOT. We had to wait a little longer that time, but no more than 10 min.

From there, we stopped to grab a burger from the Sunset Ranch Market area. We split a burger and fries and then headed to TSMM. I think the stand-by was like 15 minutes, but we didn't even wait that long. We ended up going a second time! I don't think we'd ever done TSMM more than twice during an entire trip! So, that was exciting. At this point, I think we may have watched the Voyage of the Little Mermaid, but I don't remember for sure. We left the park a few minutes before closing and were able to get on a boat almost right away.

I wish my mom would have joined us that night. We had such a great time. I don't even think it rained on us while we were there. It was the perfect end to our first day at Disney.

Up next... Day 3 at Magic Kingdom!

mrdrift

What an incredible finish to the day RnRC and ToT so many times in a row, love it. Great pictures from the ride and all the other attractions from the day. Sorry to hear the food was nothing special but the deserts looked awesome. Following along.

Disneygrl

Original Poster
What an incredible finish to the day RnRC and ToT so many times in a row, love it. Great pictures from the ride and all the other attractions from the day. Sorry to hear the food was nothing special but the deserts looked awesome. Following along.
Thank you!

Disneygrl

Original Poster
Ok, I have some time before my meeting tonight, so let me tell you about day 3 :)

Day 3 Magic Kingdom!!!
The plan was to hit Magic Kingdom at rope drop and let everyone else go to SDMT while we hit the rest of the rides.

We were all up early and ready to leave in record time! That's a big deal for us, especially considering I am NOT a morning person. But, I was only slightly grumpy that morning, and after a very large cup of coffee, I was good to go!

We drove instead of taking the bus, because we didn't want to take any chances. Within no time, we were through bag check and ready for the opening ceremony!

Day2-0066.jpg

Day2-0068.jpg

I was definitely having that magical "We're really here" feeling right about now.

Day2-0070.jpg

Day2-0074.jpg

The perfect beginning to our day. :happy: And soon, we were making our way into MK.

I see Mickey!
Day2-0076.jpg

Day2-0077.jpg

Day2-0082.jpg

Katie and I looked at each other with huge smiles on our faces. We were about to see the castle for the first time in a year, and we had to take in the moment. Deeeeep breath, and...

Day2-0080.jpg

My, what a beautiful crane.... and plastic covered construction walls... I was expecting construction, but I didn't realize exactly how much was going on. It took me awhile to get used to the new look

Day2-0083.jpg

Day2-0084.jpg

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom