TTA Changes Name

Animaniac93-98

At first I thought the new title was a mouthful, but then I saw the new signs and I liked it alot better for reasons already listed (and the sign itself looks good). "Peoplemover" could refer to the system itself while "Tomorrowland Transit Authority" the fictional transportation company.

If the Skyway still existed it could have "TTA" on it too, along with the Speedway.

It certainly work's better than "Prince Charming Regal Carrousel".

gerryu21220

Well, kind of. The Ford Pavilion at the World's Fair used a Disney designed ride system that had more to do with the upcoming Omnimover than the PeopleMover, although it spawned both a few years later. It pushed a long string of cars forward, and they were literally cars, brand new Ford, Mercury or Lincoln automobiles through the Magic Skyway ride.

ford3.jpg

The loading area, a long moving belt that traveled at the same speed of the passing cars, was the direct predecessor to the Omnimover loading system.
023+-+Embarkation+Ramp.jpg

The whole thing was sponsored by Ford. When the PeopleMover debuted at Disneyland three years later in 1967 as a more literal "future transportation system" it was Presented by Goodyear and used Goodyear tires in the track to push the cars forward. The Cast Members wore blue and gold Goodyear jumpsuits, and the Go-Go-Goodyear! commercial jingle played on the speedramps up to the loading area.
PeopleMover.jpg

I think this is a good name change for the WDW PeopleMover system, especially now that it's the sole surviving member of the species!

I misunderstood after reading this on Wiki:

"The attraction used an updated WEDway system based on the WEDway used for the Ford Magic Skyway at the 1964-65 New York World's Fair.[2] When Disney asked Ford Motor Company to continue sponsorship by sponsoring Disneyland's new PeopleMover, they declined, because Ford was reluctant to support technology that appeared to replace the automobile.[citation needed] Goodyear was then approached to sponsor it, and accepted. The wheels used in the WEDway system were replaced by Goodyear's tires."

Makes it sound like the PeopleMover itself was part of the Ford pavilion, rather than a somewhat similar ride system used for the Magic Skyway show. :eek:

DABIGCHEEZ

First question is Why?

Next , I wonder if some will consider this a new attraction, I mean after all it had a minor refurb(or was it just closed because of the SM refurb) and now has a new name? :lookaroun

Figment1986

Next , I wonder if some will consider this a new attraction, I mean after all it had a minor refurb(or was it just closed because of the SM refurb) and now has a new name? :lookaroun

That's like those who debate whether a roller coaster that has been dissembled, moved, repainted, and renamed counts as the same credit or a new credit in the coaster world :lol: it's an endless debate

gerryu21220

First question is Why?

My question was always why ever was it changed from PeopleMover to Tomorrowland Transit Authority? It's always been the PeopleMover, and has continued to be called PeopleMover by most guests anyway. So why not put it back to what most everyone already calls it?

PeoplemoverTTA

Darn, my name was just a few years ahead of its time...

....and backwards...sorta :lookaroun

Seriously, though, while it's nice to see some retro spirit, TTAP is a bit much to me. Took me a long time to finally start calling it TTA....seems to me I'll probably still call it that.

Still, I like that they're paying some attention to good ole TTA...P...first the refurb, now some new signage...nice :)

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
I still called it the wedway peoplemover anyway, so no big deal!

Yeah on my first visit it wasn't there at all.

Second visit...it was under construction. I remember seeing the signs about the upcoming Wedway Peoplemover.

So it will always be the Wedway Peoplemover to me.

A rose by any other name would smell as sweet.

DABIGCHEEZ

My question was always why ever was it changed from PeopleMover to Tomorrowland Transit Authority? It's always been the PeopleMover, and has continued to be called PeopleMover by most guests anyway. So why not put it back to what most everyone already calls it?
Oh I hear you on that, believe me, I went on the WEDway Peoplemover many times. If there was a forum back then I would have probably asked the same question.

wolf359

If there had been a forum back then, I'm sure the entire 1995 Tomorrowland overhaul would have been crucified as being ugly, cheap, un-futuristic, half-finished, and filled with unwanted clones and cast-off attractions.

But now that Disney seems to be heading back to a pre-1995 look and feel they're feeling the wrath of those folks whose nostalgia doesn't go back that far.

Personally, I'm thrilled they're going back and paying tribute to the older versions of Tomorrowland, even if it's in baby steps right now.

imagineer boy

If there had been a forum back then, I'm sure the entire 1995 Tomorrowland overhaul would have been crucified as being ugly, cheap, un-futuristic, half-finished, and filled with unwanted clones and cast-off attractions.

I highlighted the only thing that would probably be true.

However, unwanted clones? Would you call Alien Encounter and Timekeeper clones?

mickey2008.1

its a cheap name change that should have been done wth the refurb and i lke it. As for the complainers about money and upkeep, what about all the paintng and work in FL, as well as all the upcoming refurbs. I see a lot of stuff being done, look at tomorrow land with SM, tta painting and lights, new bathrooms. they have four parks to take care of, two waterparks, and numerous properties. WDW should, imho, get more money than DL for the parks, but there is more thanjust that.

wolf359

I highlighted the only thing that would probably be true.

However, unwanted clones? Would you call Alien Encounter and Timekeeper clones?

Timekeeper is a clone, so um, yeah.

Alien Encounter was designed and intended for Disneyland, but it wouldn't actually fit, so it was sent to Florida. Hence the hyperbole-filled "cast-off" title.

Krack

I support this, if only for the reason that now when I continue to refer to the ride as the Peoplemover, people under 25 won't look at me like they have no idea what I'm talking about.

HMF

So, Imagineers go and change the attraction back to its rightful name, the Peoplemover, and change the narration back to the classic style that was at Disneyland and WDW for years prior to the 1994 incarnation.
Actually' It's because the new audio is terrible. The narrator is bland' the character voices are annoying and the facts are wrong. (4 families welcome you into their homes.)

mayoki

A few quick points...

-Those Ford Pavilion pics are AWESOME!

-I have always called it PeopleMover and beaten my family and friends into doing the same, so glad to see Disney has circled back to my way of thinking.

-Wasn't the PeopleMover supposed to circle Communicore in the original Epcot Center plan?

-In this new/retro trend(love it) with NASA's new focus on Mars, how long until the return of Mission to Mars? Too much to ask??

DonaldDoleWhip

I don't like that new name. What's wrong is "Tomorrowland PeopleMover" too easy to say?
You're so right. Tomorrowland 1994, the city of the future, is dead. Why even bother keeping the Transit Authority aspect? The ride used to make T-land more cohesive when it was a transport system that serviced various stops, as opposed to "the perfect vehicle for people watching" (keep your eyes peeled - you never know who you might see!!!), but now there's really no point for the name to be such a mouthful.

Captain Neo

This is GOOD news however I would love for them to take it a step foward and just call it "Peoplemover" or "Wedway Peoplemover". TTA was always such a bizare name (although it did fit the long abandoned 1994 theme).

David S.

That's like those who debate whether a roller coaster that has been dissembled, moved, repainted, and renamed counts as the same credit or a new credit in the coaster world :lol: it's an endless debate

Good point!

I count it as a new "credit", if it is moved to a different park! Like when Starliner moved from MSAP (Miracle Strip Amusement Park in Panama City) to Cypress Gardens, much of the structure was new wood and they tweaked the profile a bit in a few places The only completely common link was the Cypress version was based on the same blueprint, and while the new version brought back many memories of the MSAP ride, parts of it had a different feel. It was a slightly wilder ride at Cypress, with stronger airtime!

Now, if a park simply takes an off-the-shelf, cloned steel coaster like a Vekoma Boomerang, and moves it to another location in the same park to make room for another new attraction, I'd consider that the same credit.

If a coaster has two different tracks (like Space Mountain Alpha and Omega, Gwazi Lion and Tiger), I count them as two different credits.

If a coaster simply changes names, I consider it the same credit.

Likewise, in the case of the Peoplemover simply changing names, there is no way I would count that as a "new" attraction.

I do like the new name, though, which is more than I can say for "Prince Charming's Regal Carousel"! ;)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom