Tropical Storm Hilary - Possible Disneyland Impacts?

donaldtoo

Thank you. :)

It's incredibly rare. The last one to come ashore in SoCal was back in 1939, when a powerful and very destructive Tropical Storm made landfall in Long Beach. (But that was before the National Weather Service started naming these storms, so it had no name or marketable branding for Etsy.)

Prior to that, a Tropical Storm with a similarly rare track went over what is now downtown Los Angeles in 1858.

So these rare Tropical Storms only show up in SoCal every 80 years or so. We were actually overdue by a few years.

We likely won't see another one like this until the early 22nd Century. So I think a dedicated thread is in order, don't you? ;)

You’re welcome, no problem…!!! :)

I had heard the last one was in 1939 a few days ago. That’s the year my Mom was born, and she’s still with us in good health, as is my Pop at age 90.
1939 was also a heckuva’ good year for Hollywood movies…!!!

Anyhoo, yea, like the Great Storm of 1900 (which is the same year my grandfather on my Pops side was born) down here in Galveston…no cute, marketable Etsy name…!!!!! :hilarious:

We rarely get any major effects here in Austin from a hurricane that makes landfall on the Texas coast, other than maybe some appreciable rainfall.
We could use some of that rain now, as we’re on our 43rd consecutive day of 100+ degree heat, and 14th consecutive day of 105+ degree heat, and no rain in sight…!!!!! 🤪:hilarious:

And yes, a dedicated thread is appropriate, but, I hope it amounts to nothing.
Again, stay safe…!!! :)

Last edited:

MoonRakerSCM

Hillary provided us with a stunning sunset down in San Diego tonight...

20230819_193741.jpg

TP2000

Original Poster
And there it is....

Weird, because the storm will already be there by that time.

Weird is one word for it. Because the brunt of the storm will be passing over OC by around 3pm, and moving out by 6pm. So what's the point of closing early at 9pm???

It's fairly obvious they are just reacting to dramatically reduced crowds on Sunday, and are thus saving a few bucks by operating the parks for the attendance of an average winter weekday, which is all they'll get tomorrow.

But closing "early" at 9pm, hours after the storm subsides? And when the storm will have already left LA metro area?

We see you TDA. ;)

Hillary provided us with a stunning sunset down in San Diego tonight...

View attachment 738445

Wasn't it gorgeous? It was otherworldly, like a bad painting in a cheap motel room, except it was real.

Not that I've ever been in a cheap motel room, or anything. 😇

TP2000

Original Poster
And just like that, as if on cue, the first rain drops are now landing on the patio at the stroke of Midnight. In August??? In San Diego???

Epcot81Fan

Weird is one word for it. Because the brunt of the storm will be passing over OC by around 3pm, and moving out by 6pm. So what's the point of closing early at 9pm???

It's fairly obvious they are just reacting to dramatically reduced crowds on Sunday, and are thus saving a few bucks by operating the parks for the attendance of an average winter weekday, which is all they'll get tomorrow.

But closing "early" at 9pm, hours after the storm subsides? And when the storm will have already left LA metro area?

We see you TDA. ;)

Wasn't it gorgeous? It was otherworldly, like a bad painting in a cheap motel room, except it was real.

Not that I've ever been in a cheap motel room, or anything. 😇
Nothing says “stay indoors and prepare for potentially catastrophic floods” more than encouraging tens of thousands of parents to take their children out to a theme park and be out on the roads.

Incredible.

Last edited:

Lilofan

Nothing says “stay indoors and prepare for potentially catastrophic floods” more than encouraging tens of thousands of parents to take their children out to a theme park and be out on the roads.

Incredible.
No doubt some on a death wish will be surfing during the storm.

celluloid

Incredible.

Not to mention all of the employees who are left with no time to prepare.

Even in FL this is a challenge with the major theme parks. Sometimes they really hold off until hours that I wish they would give more. Those people, even if prepared for the season always need time to get home and families settled. I was one of them during some of the biggest the state has gotten since 2004.

Last time I was just visiting and was shocked with how long they waited for Ian.

Den Carter

Weird, because the storm will already be there by that time.
I should think the early closure is more about giving themselves more time overnight to clean up ahead of normal operation on Monday. Which I'm delighted about as we're hitting DLR tomorrow and Tuesday

Slpy3270

I should think the early closure is more about giving themselves more time overnight to clean up ahead of normal operation on Monday. Which I'm delighted about as we're hitting DLR tomorrow and Tuesday
Even so nobody would even think about going on the LA roads for at least that day given the mess Hilary will make. Floods will likely last through Monday afternoon or later. And that's not getting into the humanitarian disaster that awaits the Inland Empire...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom