Trip Report Readers Chick Chat and Guy Gabbing Thread!

amjt660

Premium Member
The land of the rising sun - but not the rise of resistance - A Max Trip Report:

So Tricia and I went on a trip of a lifetime.
It was great for the most part - a few hiccups along the way - but a trip we will remember for a long time.

To put this trip in perspective we were going to visit Tricia's brother Tom and his wife Mariko and to tour the country that I have been to many times for work. They married in 2002 and live in Australia (Sydney) for many years before returning to her home in Fukuoka , Japan.
We were invited to the wedding but were not able to go ( work/kids/etc). So Tricia has been wanting to visit her brother ever since he moved to Japan.

Tom and Mariko had visited us in Canada in May for my daughters wedding - and her parents came one week later and stayed with us for a week (see my trip report from May/June). We planned our trip to Japan earlier in the spring and we all discussed the plans when they were visiting us.

Unfortunately Mariko received not good news later in the summer. We were not sure if we were going to go to Japan based on her going through extensive rounds of treatment. The thought of going and trying to have fun while she was going through treatments was a difficult decision. After much deliberation it was rationalized that if we scaled back the activity while with Tom and Mariko then our trip may help and provide a boost.

Travel Day - Nov 7
Ok - so first off I have been spoiled - Toyota always flew us business class and on direct flights.
So when the time came to book I told T that I wanted to do business class on at least one of the flights.
After much debate we decided to do the lie flat beds on the way over to try to arrive as rested as possible.
She kept telling me I was "bougie" but as the pictures show she enjoyed her time in the first class lounge in the Toronto airport and we both enjoyed the nice seats and service on the way over.

IMG_5840.jpegIMG_5842.jpegIMG_5843.jpegIMG_5844.jpegIMG_5845.jpegIMG_5847.jpeg

We landed in Tokyo ( Haneda airport) and after customs/immigration/baggage claim and a quick walk /bus ride we were on our second flight to Fukuoka. (which is a city on the island of Kyushu- which is the large island at the bottom left of the map when you look at Japan)

1703167370010.png
IMG_5849.jpeg

We took a cab to our hotel - The Basics Fukuoka - which is a former Hyatt Regency - beautiful hotel - more pics to follow

IMG_5851.jpeg

(and let me know if this is too much info - i can scale it back and just focus on the Disney portion if that what the people want)

Max

93boomer

Premium Member
The land of the rising sun - but not the rise of resistance - A Max Trip Report:

So Tricia and I went on a trip of a lifetime.
It was great for the most part - a few hiccups along the way - but a trip we will remember for a long time.

To put this trip in perspective we were going to visit Tricia's brother Tom and his wife Mariko and to tour the country that I have been to many times for work. They married in 2002 and live in Australia (Sydney) for many years before returning to her home in Fukuoka , Japan.
We were invited to the wedding but were not able to go ( work/kids/etc). So Tricia has been wanting to visit her brother ever since he moved to Japan.

Tom and Mariko had visited us in Canada in May for my daughters wedding - and her parents came one week later and stayed with us for a week (see my trip report from May/June). We planned our trip to Japan earlier in the spring and we all discussed the plans when they were visiting us.

Unfortunately Mariko received not good news later in the summer. We were not sure if we were going to go to Japan based on her going through extensive rounds of treatment. The thought of going and trying to have fun while she was going through treatments was a difficult decision. After much deliberation it was rationalized that if we scaled back the activity while with Tom and Mariko then our trip may help and provide a boost.

Travel Day - Nov 7
Ok - so first off I have been spoiled - Toyota always flew us business class and on direct flights.
So when the time came to book I told T that I wanted to do business class on at least one of the flights.
After much debate we decided to do the lie flat beds on the way over to try to arrive as rested as possible.
She kept telling me I was "bougie" but as the pictures show she enjoyed her time in the first class lounge in the Toronto airport and we both enjoyed the nice seats and service on the way over.

View attachment 759763View attachment 759764View attachment 759765View attachment 759766View attachment 759767View attachment 759768

We landed in Tokyo ( Haneda airport) and after customs/immigration/baggage claim and a quick walk /bus ride we were on our second flight to Fukuoka. (which is a city on the island of Kyushu- which is the large island at the bottom left of the map when you look at Japan)

View attachment 759774
View attachment 759769

We took a cab to our hotel - The Basics Fukuoka - which is a former Hyatt Regency - beautiful hotel - more pics to follow

View attachment 759770

(and let me know if this is too much info - i can scale it back and just focus on the Disney portion if that what the people want)

Max
Ohh I’m so excited to hear everything!!

amjt660

Premium Member
Japan - Fukuoka
The Basics Hotel
The theme was that you were entering a story - each level of room is a chapter - we splurged on a Chapter 3 room to gain a little more space and to be in the central circle portion of the hotel.

Huge cases full of all types of books that you were encouraged to borrow during your stay - I do not have a picture but our room number was written on a book mark! - The tree was stunning and made the lobby pop.
IMG_5854.jpegIMG_5855.jpegIMG_5856.jpegIMG_5857.jpegIMG_5866.jpegIMG_5867.jpegIMG_5868.jpeg

I had to take a pic of the layout placard that showed where the emergency exits were.

I did not realize that I was staying in the saucer section of the USS Enterprise!!!

IMG_5875.jpeg

Just to the right of the layout are two magnets
You simply moved it to the outside of the door to notify the staff
We found this approach is few of the hotels we visited during out stay.

Max

LSV

Animated GIF

please

amjt660

Premium Member
Fukuoka contd
The breakfast in the hotel was a buffet - we enjoyed the breakfast buffets because of the variety of food - T was always on the lookout for healthy foods (salad, non breaded or deep fried food) and the breaksfast did not disappoint.
IMG_5879.jpeg
I enjoyed the junk food and of course the sweets - the japanesse love their sweets!!
IMG_5877.jpegIMG_5876.jpeg
I found the bookmark picture
IMG_5880.jpeg
More hotel shots
IMG_5881.jpeg
The famous Japanese electric toilet/bidets
IMG_5883.jpeg

IMG_5885.jpeg
IMG_5886.jpegIMG_5887.jpeg

Max

LeighM

Looking forward to hearing everything about Japan. I've always wanted to visit Tokyo and Kyoto plus all of the theme parks while I'm already over there. But I'm not sure if I'll ever get the chance because of my issues flying. So far the 2 hour flight to Orlando still scares me despite medications :)

amjt660

Premium Member
Thanks for all the words of encouragement
Continuing onward

On what i will call the third day of the trip ( day one was a long day of of travel - 16 hours of flight + transfer time + 14 hour time change) - but we got the day back sort of - on the last day we got on a plane and landed 2 hours earlier in Canada - back in time!!)

So our 3rd day had us travelling to Nagasaki - this was Tricia's first bullet train (shinkansen) ride and she was impressed with the speed - later in the trip I used an app and determined that the train was going 280kmh ( 175mph)!!!

IMG_5919.jpeg

We rode this cute trolley to the peace park.
IMG_5921.jpeg

It rained most of the day and to be honest it felt right to be rainy and gloomy. This was a tough day - we had seen the Oppenheimer movie before the trip and going here brought it all home in a hard way.

I have been to Hiroshima during a previous trip (i did include it in a 2017 TR for those that have been on this site for awhile) so I was prepared for the memorials - this was Tricia's first time . I remember having the same thoughts as I did at Hiroshima.

All world leaders should come to these two sites on a regular basis to understand the long term effects of nuclear weapons in the hope that no one will ever use one again. I would like to believe that the Allies would not have used the weapons if they knew the long term impact on generations of Japanese people.

Sorry about that - but i feel the need to say it - hope i do not get sanctioned or worse get banned for it.

Here are the pics from the morning (don't worry - the afternoon shots will improve the mood - at least it did for us on that day)

IMG_5925.jpegIMG_5934.jpegIMG_5931.jpeg

IMG_5927.jpegIMG_5935.jpegIMG_5937.jpegIMG_5936.jpegIMG_5938.jpeg

Max

amjt660

Premium Member
Nagasaki continued
We stoped for lunch ( sorry no pics- I was hungry so that is probably why)

IMG_5940.jpegIMG_5944.jpeg
IMG_5950.jpeg
IMG_5948.jpegIMG_5952.jpeg

So Tom has always struggled with getting his picture taken - it is a challenge to get a smile - normally we get stone faced Tom.
I decided to try to get him to laugh
So I give you the many faces of Tom...
IMG_5956.jpegIMG_5960.jpegIMG_5959.jpegIMG_5958.jpeg

The Glover Gardens were our next stop

IMG_5957.jpeg

Max

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom