Trip report Disneyland resort 17-20th may 2012

md0u80a2

Original Poster
Hi

Here is my report from a short trip - my first to disneyland. It has been a while now, but I was sick today, so thought I would give it a go!

I have visitied WDW and DLRP multiple times before.

I was on LA for business and decided to visit for a couple of days - I was by myself!

First impressions - eh. Now, before I am flamed to death, please read my last few sentences again - I am a UK resident who has been to WDW multiple times and DLRP.

I arrived at about 5pm at the quality inn and immediately walked over to the park - that was unique - a walking distance, cheap hotel next to a disney park! Why would anyone pay for the official hotels - there further away?

Walked straight in DL and headed for Star Tours - there was only a 20 minutes standby and so went on that first. This was great - the new version is excellent. The 3D adds a lot, C3P0 is fantastic, the graphics breathtaking and immersive. This is an excellent piece of work.

Then Captain EO - missed this is paris last year as the kids screamed the pre show area to bits, but it looked a little tired. Shame really, but fun to see MJ on screen none the less.

Then, back to IHOP for great dinner and bed.

Next morning, I headed out at 8 for DL. Went straight to Indy for fastpass and then on to space mountain with 5 minute wait. This was great. I love WDW space mountain as it is exhilarating in a very safe and non-intense way. The sound was excellent.

Then I could not resist Star Tours second ride - this was great again!

Then, nemo subs - these I liked - I guess I was watching with my dad hat on. Thought kids would love actually being in real sub and the tech worked better than in the living seas in a sub IMO.

Next, Indy. This was where the magic started to crack. I was not impressed. Advice was right - no need for fastpass with single rider line. You get in and where is the story? Where is Harrison as indy? And you can see all the other cars - no illusion at all!!! Now dont get me wrong, I can see the innovation in its day, but having been on dinosaur in AK, mummy in USF, etc it just seemed to be a bit blah - I guess I had too high expectations.

Then, I headed to pirates, which was great as always and haunted mansion.

We are now 10.15 and quite a lot done in 2 hours!

I headed to mickeys toontown to get some messages for the kids - This was nice, the kids would like it - made me a little concerned that we have lost something at WDW.

I then decided to go to DCA.

First impressions - shame I wasn't four weeks later! Was this a park 3 years ago? No wonder they needed to drop a billion - worse than walt disney studios in paris, but I can see getting better now.

I headed to california screaming and got a fastpass for 12.45, so that gave me an hour. I headed to little mermaid with a 5 min wait. I was happy with it, but a little disappointed with kiss the girl scene - couldnt we have real water?? Otherwise, a real solid attraction - although how much did it cost???

Then waited 35 mins for toy story midway - I wa really encouraged by the look of the ride system, but really unimpressed with the ride. Just a computer game - no set dressing around video screen and clarity was poor. I would want it to look like star tours clarity, otherwise just like home. I wonder what people think?

Then california screaming - this was fun. Nice solid rollercoaster.

Then it was lunch time - I went for a tofu noodle dish on the otherside of the peer - was ok.

I then had time to kill until dinner at ariels grotto. I went to DTD. It was ok, but I couldnt get what I wanted - a captain america shield for my boy - not much marvel around. I then waited 30 mins for a broken monorail, so walked back.

Headed back to DCA and walked around and then before I know it, it was time for an early dinner. Nice meal, expensive, but nice. Massive portions.

I then headed to bed early.

The next day was more chilled. Essentially, small world, innoventions, jedi academy, lunch at horseshoe, DCA for bugs life, muppets, monsters inc. I then headed for DVC chat and got some fastpasses to beat huge line for rapids, but hit that - a bit short, not as fun as popeye at IOA.

Unfortunately I was too jet lagged to make it to world of colour.

My conclusions -

There is very little at DLR that is unique - most rides are cloned elsewhere, so I think the uniqueness of individual disney parks, with the exception possibly of disneysea, is non existent.

My general thoughts were as follows - small, reminds me of DLRP with the closeness of the two parks, which is good. Inside, both are very small. I was shocked walking down mainstreet at how unimpressive the castle is! Easy on the feet, but just a bit more tight - I can see why Walt wanted to do WDW the way he did.

I was unprepared for the california residents. They made up 75% of visitors and were business like about their visit. This meant that staff treated you differently. It was less magic - not like you have dropped 5k on holiday of the lifetime, but just an afternoon out. And you californian's are savey. A few minutes in town hall and everyone was getting a pass to beat the lines - I have a dud knee, I have anxiety in line - what about anxiety in the cramped box of the ride? It explained a lot to me about attitudes and the user of the parks.

Essentially, I dont think this should be a target for international residents or even east coasters for a disney holiday - stick with WDW.

I had fun, but didnt feel the magic!

Thoughts?

teacherlady19

I'm sorry you didn't feel the magic. Though I've been up there on many occasions myself (90 min drive), DL has never ceased to amaze and "magic" me.

However, about the Californians -- you're probably right. I know so many people with Annual Passes that make the drive up once a month (including some of my students who should be in school!). They do take it for granted. Such a shame. My husband and I only go up once every few years, for that reason.

Donna

Californian Elitist

I find it funny how you wouldn't reccomend DLR to other people for the holidays and you yourself have never even been.:confused:

It definitely sounds like you were expecting a whole lot from DLR. Sorry abut that. Yes, our castle is smaller but it's still impressive in my opinion. I like that's there is no stage in front of it, the drawbridge actually works and you can walk inside it. That to me is more realistic. Plus, Sleeping Beauty's Castle looks like it came out of a fairytale book, which is the point. And it's great because our park is small. A castle as tall as Cinderella's Castle just wouldn't work, not to mention it would impose on the Matterhorn.

Indy is the best ride ever. No need to say more.

DCA hasn't gotten A LOT better since opening day. Sorry you didn't like it.

I'm glad the cast members at the DLR don't igenuienely tell us to "have a magical day." That's really annoying and most of them don't mean it anyway. Like you said it's a different crowd. The cast members see regulars come in all the time, so the relationship between the cast member and the guest is different at Disneyland. It's more relaxed.

The magic of Disneyland really is the history. It's the only Disney park Walt Disney himself designed, built, lived in, completed and visited. We Californians take a lot of pride in that, and that's what keeps us coming back each time. When I worked at Disneyland, I can't tell you how many people came to just sit in front of the castle and "Partners", or came to just sit on Main Street. I saw this not only during the day but during after hours too, when the park was closed and yet people were still sitting on the benches like they had nowhere to go. Some of us don't even come to ride attractions or play in general, we just want to sit and soak it in. And it really hits when you first walk through Main Street, you look to your left, and you see Walt's apartment window lit up. That's the REAL magic and that's what we appreciate. Even the WDW vets who try Disneyland for the first time and love it will mention the history aspect. I didn't catch any of that in your report. I've always said Disneyland is for the Disney purist. A lot of people just don't understand and they don't get it, but it's okay. I'm glad you had fun at least.

Magenta Panther

I've only visited Disneyland in a very haphazard way - a bit here and then a bit there - because I only went when I was in California on business. My next visit will be THE one in which I experience the park as a whole...and I can't wait! No, it's not as big as WDW, but that could be a good thing. I've nearly walked my feet bloody at WDW, and the constant waiting in line for busses really gets me down. I'm hoping that exhaustion won't be my constant companion at DL, plus, as Raven24 has mentioned, DL is Walt's park after all. He actually walked the streets there...and that's a plus WDW will never have. Thanks for your trip report though...it was interesting and honest. :)

TakeMeThere81

I think everyone is definitely entitled to their own opinion. If you didn't feel the magic, you didn't feel the magic. It doesn't mean you are less a "Disney purist" or that you "didn't get the history aspect...". That's not very fair to say. I think we all approach the parks with positive expectations, as any true Disney fan does. It isn't that you were looking for the negative. I felt that your analysis of DLR was very fair. You saw stuff you loved, there were aspects you liked less. I feel this way about DLR as well. And I grew up on DLR!

There is an "escape factor" at WDW that DLR unfortunately cannot touch and I agree, the cheap hotels and restaurants nearby is a real downer. In fact that was one of the reasons that Walt pursued building WDW and was super secretive about buying out such a huge plot of land...so that the same would not happen again. That being said, on our next visit, I am just going to put up "blinders" and try to pretend that they aren't there ;)

There are memories for me at DLR that will always be special, and despite the things I like better about WDW, we always have a great time at DLR! To me any day at a Disney Park is a lucky day! So while we are now on the west coast, we'll be visiting DLR-yay! Lucky us!

dsollie

I find it funny how you wouldn't reccomend DLR to other people for the holidays and you yourself have never even been.:confused:

I think the poster meant "holiday" as in vacation, not as in Christmas. :)

Agree or disagree, thanks for putting in the report, and for the comments back everyone. It does help out some of us who are getting ready for our own trips! :cool:

TP2000

There is an "escape factor" at WDW that DLR unfortunately cannot touch and I agree, the cheap hotels and restaurants nearby is a real downer. In fact that was one of the reasons that Walt pursued building WDW and was super secretive about buying out such a huge plot of land...so that the same would not happen again.

The funny thing (not so funny?) is that the same tourist traps showed up in Orlando, just off Disney property. And in bigger numbers than you'll find on Harbor Blvd. or Katella Ave. in Anaheim.

International Drive Off Disney Property - Orlando, FL
I-Drive2.jpg

idrivevomit1.jpg

I wish Orlando politicians would grow a backbone and shell out some cash to create a well defined Resort District where signage has to be uniform, all utilities are put underground, and uniform landscaping and street furniture is installed along redesigned streets. It would go a long way in making the Orlando metro area look more upscale and feel safer (even if crime rates in Orlando are scary high). At the very least they could just focus on I-Drive and the urban blight there.

The Resort District design worked wonders for Anaheim in the late 20th century.

Harbor Blvd. Across From Disneyland Circa 1966
harborblvd.jpg

Nearly Exact Same Spot On Harbor Blvd. (photographer shifted to sidewalk and north 50 yards) Circa 2010
HotelsHarborBlvd.jpg

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y208/vickifunes/Anaheim Hotels/HotelsHarborBlvd.jpg

Minnie1976

Thank you for the report on Disneyland. We are planning a trip next year. I've only been once in the 80's and look forward to going back and seeing all the changes. As much as we enjoy DW there is something magical and exciting about going to Disneyland for me. Maybe it is because we watched Walt Disney on his TV show and heard him talk about Disneyland as a child. It will be interesting and exciting.

jodalovesmickey

I grew up going to WDW before I could get out of the rented stroller and learned to swim at River Country. I can't count how many trips I've had to WDW in 30 years and I absolutely love the place. I didn't make it to Disneyland until about 10 years ago. I remember how in awe I was that first trip to "Walt's Park" because I've felt it many times since we relocated to SoCal and my wife and I were able to get APs (sadly, we've been priced out for next year but that's a different discussion). If you love WDW, you'll feel home at Disneyland. DCA is a topnotch park with the Buena Vista St and Cars Land; a classic feel from the turnstiles through the Wharf and I can't begin to describe how you can't help but immersed Cars Land. I'm really sorry the OP missed out on this. Disneyland is Disneyland. Walt's apartment, his Main Street, his Jungle Cruise, New Orleans Square, Matterhorn, original Pirates (2 waterfalls!?!), Mr. Toad (my favorite childhood ride in Orlando; I'm so glad it's still alive). All this and TDA absolutely earns their reputation for maintenance and cleanliness which almost paradoxically keep it feeling authentic. Now with all that said, I can't wait to get back to Orlando and visit Epcot, DHS, and ride the People Movers while feeling that famous escape. There is something magical about crossing that pond, however you chose to do it, to get to the front gates of the Magic Kingdom. There's plenty of magic for both coasts.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom