Trip Check/Experiences?

Okayy sooo... as always, my planning is in full effect. We were just in the world in february as a super (I'm talking less that 45 days out) last minute trip. Unfortunately for the first time ever we experienced a pretty bad trip. Disney's always fun of course, but at the time of year we went + resort we stayed in we just didn't feel our experience was as magical as it was in the past.

So we're going in full steam ahead as far as saving cash goes, and we're waiting for those fall offers to come out ;) Once we have those.. we will be booked! I wanted to get a trip check + listen to some experiences at some of the restaurants listed!

DETAILS: 6 night, 5 day at AKL. Regular DDP, 3 day PH, 1 Adult, 2 Teens, 1 Senior
Savanna View Bunk for Family, Savanna Standard for Senior.

D1: Fly Out + Dinner at The Mara @ AKL
D2: Breakfast @ Chef Mickeys then back to the resort to relax/explore.. or... day to explore the resort with a dinner @ Boma. Maybe some DTD in there ;)
D3: AK w/ Lunch @ Tusker House. Then park hop over to HS for Dinner @ Mama Melrose's + EMH.
D4: EP for 1st half, then park hop over to MK for dinner at CRT + EMH.
D5: Breakfast @ Boma + day of exploring other disney resorts then head over to Beach Club for dinner @ Beaches & Cream.
D6: MK w/ Dinner @ BOG.

Suggestions? Tweaks? Experiences to share?

belledream

Boma dinner was the highlight of our trip last fall, so I'd put my vote there. We enjoyed our experience at Tusker House, but it is kind of like Boma-lite...something to consider. I suppose if you do Chef Mickey's breakfast, you could have plenty of time to explore MK resorts instead of spending so much time exploring AKL. Good to see you got a BOG reservation! It's a must-do for us. :D No EPCOT dining?

Upvote 0

chanchanchannie13

Original Poster
Boma dinner was the highlight of our trip last fall, so I'd put my vote there. We enjoyed our experience at Tusker House, but it is kind of like Boma-lite...something to consider. I suppose if you do Chef Mickey's breakfast, you could have plenty of time to explore MK resorts instead of spending so much time exploring AKL. Good to see you got a BOG reservation! It's a must-do for us. :D No EPCOT dining?

okay awesome! thank you for the insight. we we're not sure if tusker house should be a must do.. we've heard great reviews which is why we'd be willing to pay out of pocket because we've never had it before! is it worth it? & as for epcot dining, we we're going to book le cellier .. but wanted to experience wishes in the cinderella castle! haha we usually eat around the world anyway so I guess we wouldn't be missing out right? what would you suggest at epcot for a possible lunch? maybe even QS?

Upvote 0

belledream

okay awesome! thank you for the insight. we we're not sure if tusker house should be a must do.. we've heard great reviews which is why we'd be willing to pay out of pocket because we've never had it before! is it worth it? & as for epcot dining, we we're going to book le cellier .. but wanted to experience wishes in the cinderella castle! haha we usually eat around the world anyway so I guess we wouldn't be missing out right? what would you suggest at epcot for a possible lunch? maybe even QS?
I wouldn't do Tusker House if you're doing Boma dinner. They're similar, and in my book, Boma did it better. It's a great place to be if you're in AK all day and not hopping or anything, otherwise, I'd just eat QS there.

And true about EPCOT. Are you catching the beginning of F&W? That's definitely an option. As for QS places, my favorites are Tangierine Café, Katsura Grill, and Sunshine Seasons for sure! All very different cuisines, but very tasty. :hungry:

Upvote 0

chanchanchannie13

Original Poster
I wouldn't do Tusker House if you're doing Boma dinner. They're similar, and in my book, Boma did it better. It's a great place to be if you're in AK all day and not hopping or anything, otherwise, I'd just eat QS there.

And true about EPCOT. Are you catching the beginning of F&W? That's definitely an option. As for QS places, my favorites are Tangierine Café, Katsura Grill, and Sunshine Seasons for sure! All very different cuisines, but very tasty. :hungry:

okay sounds good to me! would be an out of pocket meal, so if they're practically the same then I'll just forget about that one! also-- we've done mama melrose multiple times--love it--but is there anything at HS you would suggest to try out?
as for epcot, I am not too sure. we go sept 5-11...so if its out I'm sure we will be all over it haha! & ouh, sounds great! we went to sunshine in feb, was pretty decent! I think katsura was one we wanted to try, but then again tangerine sounds good right now lol :')

Upvote 0

CaptainAmerica

That's a crazy ton of food. Chef Mickey's and Boma on the same day is going to strain your waistline, same with Tusker and Melrose. I also really hope you have a car. It's a pain in the butt getting from one resort to another and it looks like you have at least a couple "back and forth" from one resort to another. If I'm relying on Disney transportation, I personally won't go to any resort other than my own unless I'm coming from an adjacent park.

Also, you can book a trip now and then tack on any offers or discounts that come out after the fact if you want to lock it down.

Upvote 0

chanchanchannie13

Original Poster
That's a crazy ton of food. Chef Mickey's and Boma on the same day is going to strain your waistline, same with Tusker and Melrose. I also really hope you have a car. It's a pain in the butt getting from one resort to another and it looks like you have at least a couple "back and forth" from one resort to another. If I'm relying on Disney transportation, I personally won't go to any resort other than my own unless I'm coming from an adjacent park.

haha nooooo! we were thinking either bomb dinner OR chef mickeys breakfast! just not sure if we should do a full day at the resort and finish it off with Boma--or-- go to chef mickeys in the morning and then relax at the resort for the rest of the day! & we will be using Disney transport.. haha as strange as it sounds thats my favourite/ most comforting part of the trip (I know, I'm the odd one out LOL).

Upvote 0

Weather_Lady

Your mention of "Wishes" while in Cinderella Castle caught my eye. Keep in mind that the windows of Cinderella Castle are bubbly stained glass. Although they'll dim the lights and pipe in the music, your view of the fireworks may not be as great as you expect. I'd plan on seeing Wishes from outside the Castle at least once, as well.

Also, I couldn't help but notice that you listed very little time at any of the parks. (For example, no park on day 2? Or was that just because you weren't looking for a critique of that part of your plan?) If you want to see most of the attractions in each park, rope drop arrivals are an invaluable tool (meaning you'll want to make your breakfast ADRs for times well in advance of park opening, or do brunch instead after you've already visited a park for the first hour or two after rope drop).

Upvote 0

chanchanchannie13

Original Poster
Your mention of "Wishes" while in Cinderella Castle caught my eye. Keep in mind that the windows of Cinderella Castle are bubbly stained glass. Although they'll dim the lights and pipe in the music, your view of the fireworks may not be as great as you expect. I'd plan on seeing Wishes from outside the Castle at least once, as well.

ahhh! well I've always wondered what it would be like! just to change things up a little bit! is CRT worth it??

& I just seen the last part oops! this trip since we're staying at a deluxe for the first time ever, we wanted to take 2/5 days off to just relax + explore the resort(s). Something we've never really done before--I know, again, not typical for a disney nut like myself haha.(we've been 18+ times to the world)

Last edited:
Upvote 0

belledream

okay sounds good to me! would be an out of pocket meal, so if they're practically the same then I'll just forget about that one! also-- we've done mama melrose multiple times--love it--but is there anything at HS you would suggest to try out?
as for epcot, I am not too sure. we go sept 5-11...so if its out I'm sure we will be all over it haha! & ouh, sounds great! we went to sunshine in feb, was pretty decent! I think katsura was one we wanted to try, but then again tangerine sounds good right now lol :')
Mama Melrose is good, but my favorite in HS is actually 50's Prime Time lol. The menu seems so simple, but the food is laced with something illegal. ;) We personally like switching things up and try not eat at the same places over and over, but it's up to you. Haven't been to Brown Derby in years, but if you want to go there, I'd pay OOP for that one since I don't think it's worth two credits, and Sci Fi's food is nothing special, but the atmosphere is pretty cool. Sorry if I didn't help make the choice any easier!

Edit: And answering the 2nd half of your question, F&W starts on 9/25 so you won't be there during the event. That's fine though. Should help with crowd levels, and EPCOT's dining (both QS and TS) are the best (IMO again), so you won't go hungry. :p

Upvote 0

Weather_Lady

ahhh! well I've always wondered what it would be like! just to change things up a little bit! is CRT worth it??

I'm afraid that's a very subjective question. I know that some folks argue that there is priceless magic in the location alone, and that a meal at CRT is an absolute "must-do" for any WDW visitor.

In my experience, it's not worth it. We ate there on our last visit at my daughter's insistence -- we were visiting on her birthday and she asked to eat at CRT in lieu of any presents!, so it became a "must-do" by virtue of that fact. All things considered, we had a very nice dinner in a very lovely setting and the princesses we met interacted with us in ways that were entertaining and not rushed. That being said, we had far better table service meals (in terms of quality and quantity of food, attentiveness of service and ambiance) at other WDW restaurants that cost half as much. It was nice to do it once, and to check some princesses off the M&G list, but I didn't think it came close to providing fair value for what we spent (whether viewed as 2 TS credits on the DDP or in terms of cash value), even taking into account the usual "Disney inflation" over real-world pricing.

Upvote 0

chanchanchannie13

Original Poster
Mama Melrose is good, but my favorite in HS is actually 50's Prime Time lol. The menu seems so simple, but the food is laced with something illegal. ;) We personally like switching things up and try not eat at the same places over and over, but it's up to you. Haven't been to Brown Derby in years, but if you want to go there, I'd pay OOP for that one since I don't think it's worth two credits, and Sci Fi's food is nothing special, but the atmosphere is pretty cool. Sorry if I didn't help make the choice any easier!

Edit: And answering the 2nd half of your question, F&W starts on 9/25 so you won't be there during the event. That's fine though. Should help with crowd levels, and EPCOT's dining (both QS and TS) are the best (IMO again), so you won't go hungry. :p

we've always wanted to eat there! one family member has had a weight loss surgery, so he is unable to eat to much..(now he doesn't care going to buffets, etc..) however he is just worried about being called out because he 'didn't finish his plate' haha. that's the only reason we didn't choose that, however I'm sure we could probably leave a special note when booking the reservation for it correct? its something we would love to have the pleasure of experiencing!

& okay! thats no problem. I guess that is a good thing haha! it was extremely crowded in feb, every where you turned you bumped into someone, and we've never experienced that before! so I guess it might be easier and less taxing on our senior without the high crowds!

Upvote 0

chanchanchannie13

Original Poster
I'm afraid that's a very subjective question. I know that some folks argue that there is priceless magic in the location alone, and that a meal at CRT is an absolute "must-do" for any WDW visitor.

In my experience, it's not worth it. We ate there on our last visit at my daughter's insistence -- we were visiting on her birthday and she asked to eat at CRT in lieu of any presents!, so it became a "must-do" by virtue of that fact. All things considered, we had a very nice dinner in a very lovely setting and the princesses we met interacted with us in ways that were entertaining and not rushed. That being said, we had far better table service meals (in terms of quality and quantity of food, attentiveness of service and ambiance) at other WDW restaurants that cost half as much. It was nice to do it once, and to check some princesses off the M&G list, but I didn't think it came close to providing fair value for what we spent (whether viewed as 2 TS credits on the DDP or in terms of cash value), even taking into account the usual "Disney inflation" over real-world pricing.

ahhh okay... this would make sense then. I honestly would just be going for the experience, but it would be eating up two table service credits. what would you suggest in replacement of CRT? we're open to try as many new things as possible. this trip we're focused on trying new things outside our comfort zones!

Upvote 0

belledream

we've always wanted to eat there! one family member has had a weight loss surgery, so he is unable to eat to much..(now he doesn't care going to buffets, etc..) however he is just worried about being called out because he 'didn't finish his plate' haha. that's the only reason we didn't choose that, however I'm sure we could probably leave a special note when booking the reservation for it correct? its something we would love to have the pleasure of experiencing!

& okay! thats no problem. I guess that is a good thing haha! it was extremely crowded in feb, every where you turned you bumped into someone, and we've never experienced that before! so I guess it might be easier and less taxing on our senior without the high crowds!
You can definitely note that you're not into the antics, don't know if the message will help, but it can't hurt. The CMs are probably very aware of what tables are 'into' the whole experience, and those aren't digging it so much. Also, I think it's a little exaggerated, to be honest. Nothing to be scared of! It's all in good fun. And believe me, I would lick my plate - it was that good haha!

Upvote 0

belledream

This exactly. You're paying for the experience. Even when I was a teen, I remember not being impressed with the food. We were considering making a reservation this year to celebrate our honeymoon because of the 'experience' factor, but ended up saying nay and decided we'll go once we have little ones. It's entirely up to you. Your teens may find it Instagram-worthy, and if it's a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity, go for it!

ahhh okay... this would make sense then. I honestly would just be going for the experience, but it would be eating up two table service credits. what would you suggest in replacement of CRT? we're open to try as many new things as possible. this trip we're focused on trying new things outside our comfort zones!
It's too bad Liberty Tree is closed for refurbishment, cause that'd be my recommendation since you already have BOG. Plaza Restaurant would be good for an OOP meal as well!

Upvote 0

chanchanchannie13

Original Poster
You can definitely note that you're not into the antics, don't know if the message will help, but it can't hurt. The CMs are probably very aware of what tables are 'into' the whole experience, and those aren't digging it so much. Also, I think it's a little exaggerated, to be honest. Nothing to be scared of! It's all in good fun. And believe me, I would lick my plate - it was that good haha!

haha okay! well I think I'm going to go put in a reservation for 50's Prime Time right now! thanks for the help! can't wait to try it! & gahh, okay! well maybe I can book something at epcot. any recommendations for TS?

Upvote 0

belledream

haha okay! well I think I'm going to go put in a reservation for 50's Prime Time right now! thanks for the help! can't wait to try it! & gahh, okay! well maybe I can book something at epcot. any recommendations for TS?
Oh man, where do I begin? Haha. I've been to all the restaurants except China and both of Italy's.
Depends on what cuisine you want obviously. But here is a rundown...

San Angel: food ok but ambience is my favorite in the World Showcase
Akershus: was not a fan
Biergarten: a must-do for us (biyearly or so) food, fun, and atmosphere!
Teppan Edo: good food, but indistinguishable from a Japanese steakhouse at home
Tokyo Dining: a must-do, more authentic Japanese food, quiet atmosphere, nice view of Showcase Lagoon
Marrakesh: was not a fan and Tangierine Café is our go-to here now
Chefs de France: good food, but nothing special about the restaurant itself
Rose & Crown: food is whatever (desserts were the best), atmosphere not the best. Loud and on the boring side
Le Cellier: food was good, but haven't been to many signatures at WDW so can't really compare. Not sure it's worth 2 DDP credits and there is probably better steak on the planet.

Garden Grill: looove. We had so much fun. The food was surprisingly tasty. We won't go back here until we have kids though.
Coral Reef: also love. Not the best seafood I've ever had, but you can't match the experience!

So...all in all, depends what kind of cuisine you're feeling, and whether you guys want a great food, ambience, something in between?

Upvote 0

Weather_Lady

These would be my alternate suggestions, depending on what it was you liked most about CRT (and with the understanding that you are already planning to eat at BOG, which is a real treat), of course, still totally subjective:

For princesses -- Akershus (Norway Pavilion, Epcot), Norwegian-inspired (but mostly American) buffet with several princesses in attendance, in a replica Norwegian castle/fortress (1 TS credit)

For characters in the MK -- Crystal Palace (MK, Main Street), a good-quality American buffet in Victorian greenhouse with Winnie the Pooh characters, 1 TS credit

For ambiance and good food near the MK, but without characters (check the menus before deciding) -- 'Ohana (Polynesan resort, accessible from MK by monorail), all-you-care-to-enjoy skewer meats with tasty Polynesian-inspired sides and a caramel banana bread dessert, and entertainment by a lovely "wandering" ukelele player/singer, 1 TS credit

For great food and entertainment if the location is unimportant -- Raglan Road (Downtown Disney), great steaks and huge portions of well-prepared, hearty Irish pub food with live Irish step-dancing entertainment in the evening (make your ADR with the show schedule in mind and ask for a table in the main dining room for a great view), 1 TS credit; or Biergarten (Epcot, Germany pavilion), German-American buffet in a faux outdoor Bavarian courtyard with live entertainment from a lederhosen-wearing "oompah" band, 1 TS credit

If you want a really cool location, but are okay if the food is just good instead of great -- Coral Reef (Epcot, Seas pavilion), menu emphasizing seafood, in a restaurant where one entire wall is made up of the glass wall of the aquarium, where you can watch fish swim right by (ask for a table near the tank and let them know you're willing to wait a little longer, if necessary), 1 TS credit

Best use of 2 TS credits at once -- Hoop de Doo Musical Revue (Fort Wilderness Campground, accessible from any park by bus, although the best and most direct transport is via the boat launch from MK), an Old West-themed all-you-care-to-enjoy BBQ meal (one of the only such meals that includes unlimited beer, wine and sangria in the price!!!) with a slapstick, Hee-Haw-style live musical show, 2 TS credits

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom