Treasure Planet

Magenta Panther

Even though it didn't do well when it came out, it's a very good movie. I recently re watched it and enjoyed it very much.

It's on instant for Netflix if you have it. You can watch it there and decide for yourself.

I agree. It's one of those unfortunate films that failed, but didn't deserve to. It's beautifully animated, and has a very clever take on the old "Treasure Island" story. I love Long John Silver as a cyborg. Well worth a watch.

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
And why Disney hasn't used it more forits boy target market I don't know.

Maybe they might bring it back in 3D. It would be an awesome 3D re-release.

I really like this movie, but with one exception. The robot....can't stand it and it was totally un-neccessary. It was there basically for comic-relief.. o_O

stevehousse

It was a great movie tht should have done better at te box office. My boys and myself love watching it! If u or your kids like pirates, its worth a watch!

Figments Friend

I agree. It's one of those unfortunate films that failed, but didn't deserve to. It's beautifully animated, and has a very clever take on the old "Treasure Island" story. I love Long John Silver as a cyborg. Well worth a watch.
Agree.
If this film was released just a couple of years after it was, it would have done far better at the box office...what with the pirates craze the original POTC movie created.

If it was released post-*Curse of The Black Pearl*, i always thought *Treasure Planet* would have been a smash hit. It was just poor timing.

A excellent film..stunning visuals, a exciting story with some cool futuristic twists...and a great musical score.
Well worth purchasing.
The bonus features are also a plus on the DVD.

Kirk88

Our family really enjoys this one. I feel like Disney had a string of what I would consider underrated animated films (like Hercules & Atlantis) and Treasure Planet was one of them. We still need to pick it up on Blu-Ray.

Darth Tater

Great characters, great animation, great music, great story...HORRIBLE idea adapting it into a sci-fi/outer space film. In my opinion, they should've made it just Treasure Island, and left the outer space, cyborg, sci-fi nonsense outta it. Mixing sci-fi with a family animated film is just like mixing peanut butter with ketchup...two great things individually, but awful when combined together.

While this film does a great job telling the classic Treasure Island story, I personally found the sci-fi elements to be too distracting & unnecessary. The idea may have seemed good on paper, but Disney should've looked at what happened to previous sci-fi/animated films such as Titan A.E. and Atlantis to easily predict the disaster which awaited them.

Nothing wrong with making an animated feature called Treasure Island and keeping true to the time & location of that classic beloved story. Why Disney did not do this is beyond me.

stevehousse

Great characters, great animation, great music, great story...HORRIBLE idea adapting it into a sci-fi/outer space film. In my opinion, they should've made it just Treasure Island, and left the outer space, cyborg, sci-fi nonsense outta it. Mixing sci-fi with a family animated film is just like mixing peanut butter with ketchup...two great things individually, but awful when combined together.

While this film does a great job telling the classic Treasure Island story, I personally found the sci-fi elements to be too distracting & unnecessary. The idea may have seemed good on paper, but Disney should've looked at what happened to previous sci-fi/animated films such as Titan A.E. and Atlantis to easily predict the disaster which awaited them.

Nothing wrong with making an animated feature called Treasure Island and keeping true to the time & location of that classic beloved story. Why Disney did not do this is beyond me.

I hope I'm not the only one out there who enjoyed Titan AE!

Animaniac93-98

The idea may have seemed good on paper, but Disney should've looked at what happened to previous sci-fi/animated films such as Titan A.E. and Atlantis to easily predict the disaster which awaited them.

How? Atlantis was released about a year prior and Titan A.E. a year before that. It takes years to make an animated feature so how would they know to stop or that their movie would fail too?

Disney already had two period Treasure Island movies in their catalogue, and it was Ron and John's long time dream project that they were finally allowed to make.

Also, The Iron Giant, Lilo and Stitch and Wall-E disagree about family animated sci-fi sucking.

Darth Tater

Also, The Iron Giant, Lilo and Stitch and Wall-E disagree about family animated sci-fi sucking.
Lilo & Stitch became a hit due to being marketed as cute little girl meets cute blue alien. Sci-fi? Sure. But it wasn't the outer space rocket chases & intergalactic scenes which drew children & families to this film. This film looked like a clever E.T. meets Disney tale, and it worked. The same cannot be said for spinoff Tomorrowland attractions...but the film certainly worked.

Wall-E did well because it was stamped with the Pixar name. Of course it's going to be a hit.

The Iron Giant, I gotta agree is one of the best animated films in a long time, if not all time. I love this story, and was disappointed it did not receive the box office numbers it deserved. It was smart, funny, had character, developed characters, GREAT climax...it just did everything right. I hope anyone who has not seen this film will give it a try. You probably won't be disappointed.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom