Travel Documents for Nephew

Tinkerfan4ever

Original Poster
Hello all,

We are very excited for our upcoming family trip. My daugher and her boyfriend are coming and we are bringing the boyfriends nephew, age 5. What kind of travel documents do we have to have for the nephew since neither parent will be with him? Just his birth certificate? Something more? We don't leave until October, but want to figure it out now!
Thanks so much!

Back!Elbow!Shoulders!

Omnia mutantur, nihil interit
Hello all,

We are very excited for our upcoming family trip. My daugher and her boyfriend are coming and we are bringing the boyfriends nephew, age 5. What kind of travel documents do we have to have for the nephew since neither parent will be with him? Just his birth certificate? Something more? We don't leave until October, but want to figure it out now!
Thanks so much!

When I’ve traveled with children that weren’t my own (and their parents weren’t present) we made a travel consent letter that the parents signed and had it notarized.

I don’t know if there’s any official letter but I think ours was simple and in addition to giving permission for the child to travel with me, it gave permission for me to make medical decisions for them in limited situations.

I would also bring a copy of the kid’s insurance (perhaps just a pic on your phone)

No one ever asked to see the letter but it made all involved feel better to have it.

kimberlymautz

When I’ve traveled with children that weren’t my own (and their parents weren’t present) we made a travel consent letter that the parents signed and had it notarized.

I don’t know if there’s any official letter but I think ours was simple and in addition to giving permission for the child to travel with me, it gave permission for me to make medical decisions for them in limited situations.

I would also bring a copy of the kid’s insurance (perhaps just a pic on your phone)

No one ever asked to see the letter but it made all involved feel better to have it.
This is exactly what I did when we brought my niece to Disney. We also didn't need any of it, but better to have it then wish we did.

Swissmiss

Premium Member
I second the idea about having a letter for authorizing medical decisions. I broke my toe when I was 15 or 16 (pre cell phone era) and my mother was not at home. I had to sit in the ER for several hours because my 25 year old brother wasn’t allowed to authorize treatment. Granted, today people are more reachable but it would be a good thing to have just in case.

You don’t mention how you are traveling - but if by plane I would check with the airlines what they require.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom