Transportation Poll

Is the current WDW Transportation System effective?

• Yes - 100 % effective

Votes: 16 23.5%
  • Yes - But could be improved

Votes: 50 73.5%
  • No - It is not effective

Votes: 2 2.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Invero

Okay... Yes, our transportation system could be improved... But when you consider that we move hundreds of thousands of people per day... we do a pretty decent job. Sure, nothing is perfect, and there's bound to be a few kinks here and there... but, all things considered... not bad. :)

tinkrbel

ok last time I was pro disney I got told off by a castmember on this forum .. but I just have to say something :lookaroun I think the buses, monorails and boats at the World are great .. I love the buses drivers .. yes I love the monorail but with the bus driver more people get to hear funny things and interesting info .. I cant count the enjoyment we have had going back to the resort totally tired but laughing all the way because of the bus driver. I think disney does a wonderful job of getting you where you wanna go. I dont think its reasonable right now to expect Disney to expand the monorail system .. WDW is still growing ..and hopefully it will never stop growing.

foxfire

Original Poster
I'm certainly not saying that it's 100% bad, but I think it could stand to be improved. Of course, I realize that it's difficult to do so with the current budget problems, but some work is definitely needed.

Pumbas Nakasak

Heading for the great escape.
I have nothing but respect for the individuals who control and organise the Disney bus fleet, they do an amazing job. The fleet itself could do with some major improvements including more ECO friendly engines and exhaust systems. The Boats are great, as well as expanding the Mono rail How about extending the waterways?
The best thing about the buses is that I can visit the Germany pavillion and enjoy a few "hello cheekys" .:slurp: and not have to worry about driving.

belara

Bus transport

Last time I went to Disney (Jan 02) with my boyfriend was the first time we really took advantage of Disney's transportation service the entire time we were there. And other than the one time that we had to wait about 35 minutes or so for a bus from the All Star Movies to the Magic Kingdom we never had more than a 10 minute wait for a ride *anywhere*. It was the first time I ever went to Disney and didn't even ride a monorail! and the only reason we had the one long wait was because a bus on the route broke down. And even though Disney seems like a magical fantasy land sometimes the real world intrudes and buses break down. It was still faster and easier than driving.

foxfire

Original Poster
I'd have to agree, driving can be a nightmare on the WDW roads. It's great when you can take the Osceola pkwy, but lately I've been staying on 192 so I'm stuck on I-4. But when I park hop, I park @ the TTC and don't come back to my car for the rest of the day. Well, usually anyhow, I drove once from MGM to Epcot b/c I had planned to leave @ 2 (wound up staying till 6:30).

Of course, one thing I do like about the monorail is riding up front w/ the drive. At least, when they're friendly...

monorail256

I agree that disney transport is great... yeah you people complain about it while your there... but what if they took it all away? youd be really ticked off! and... i plan on driving a monorail when i get a bit older.. so maybe someday ill be driving all of you around.. until then.. tyler can:sohappy:

goofyfan13

I personally love the transportation in WDW. Its, effecient and like just about every one has said the bus drivers are great. I do think, however that the system could be improved. I been caught waiting for a bus for just about 30 minutes. I do understand how many busses disney does have and the effort they put forth to get people to the parks as fast as possible so I'll stop complaining about the wait. I really don't mind waiting a 1/2 hour to get to a park. I'd say the wait is worth it.

Disney Maniac

I think that all things considered, Disney Transport does a phenomenal job. Walt Disney World is larger than some cities here in the U.S., and has a matrix of roads, destinations and departure points, all of which need to be carefully monitored and serviced regularly. Needless to day, the infrastructure is huge! The fleets of buses, boats, monorails, and trams all work together to move hundreds of thousands of people a day to all corners of the property. And it does so with minimal delays and expeditiously; you don't spend hours on the bus going from the BoardWalk Inn & Villas to the Magic Kingdom.

When you think about it, every single one of it's modes of transportation are NOT outright profit-makers; Guests don't pay each time they board the bus or a tram (granted, this is offset in ticket prices and room rates). In fact, I would be willing to bet that Disney Transport has some of the largest amounts of red ink to be found in the lairs of Walt Disney World Accounting. This just goes to show how dedicated Walt Disney World is to getting people to and fro in a timely, happy fashion. And we all know that that's because happy guests with lots of time will spend money!

However, just because everything runs smoothly and efficiently most of the time (it would be crass to say that perfection is demanded, if not expected) does not mean there is not room for any improvement. First of all, I definitely would like to see the new Nova buses in use throughout the world to replace the prehistoric fleet. Keep a few as trainers and CM transports, but that's it. Next, I would replace/upgrade the ferries and Friendships as needed. Finally, when and only when the above conditions have been satisfactorily met, I would begin construction on a new monorail loop and perhaps also a new and much larger TTC that I'd locate somewhere in between Epcot and Animal Kingdom. Those are my ideas, nay, dreams. But who knows, maybe Disney will surprise us and follow through with some nice new Transport.

Lance

I think the WDW transportation does a great job, I remember when we stayed in FW in 1990, we got to know every bus driver and knew them by their first names. We all wanted to be WDW bus Driver's when we grew up(my cousin, brother and I).

But now, we usually drive down anyway, so we have the rental from MASS to drive around WDW. I love driving the WDW roads, never really mobbed, and I know my way around the whole world.

Nowadays, everytime I ride a bus in WDW, it's always very crowded, and I have to squeeze in, then I end up giving my seat up because I am a Gentleman of course. And you just stand there on a crowded bus and it really takes away the WDW experience. SO, I don't take busses anymore, I drive and park.

The boats and monorail are the only way to go for me.

Invero

Originally posted by Disney Maniac
However, just because everything runs smoothly and efficiently most of the time (it would be crass to say that perfection is demanded, if not expected) does not mean there is not room for any improvement. First of all, I definitely would like to see the new Nova buses in use throughout the world to replace the prehistoric fleet. Keep a few as trainers and CM transports, but that's it. Next, I would replace/upgrade the ferries and Friendships as needed.

Of course there's room for improvement everywhere, and Disney Transport is no exception. We've been working hard for the past year now to improve service with Magic On Demand... and while that system isn't perfect either, it has improved dramatically.

As for replacing the busses, yes, our goal is to replace all the "prehistoric" :lol: RTS busses with the new Nova's. We just decommissioned a bunch of 2600 series busses, and made some of the older 2700 series ones into Training busses. Some of the newer 4700 series RTS busses are still in excellent condition, and are getting a few modifications. The most noticable is the exterior Marquee's are now all being converted to the highly visable amber LED lights, just like the Nova's. A whole bunch of other busses just received new Detroit Desiel engines.

Within the next few months, a whole bunch more Nova busses will be showing up on property. YAY :)

As for the watercraft... not sure about Friendship, but the MK Ferry boats and the Cruisers all underwent rehab within the past 5 years... the most recent being the General Joe Potter... it got new pilot houses among other technical things. :)

kal1484

Overall, I think it is great. I would like to see more monorails though. I really haven't had any problems with the buses, except last time (jan 02) when we waited over and hour twice for a bus. I do however, LOVE the new buses!

2much2do

Hi,
I voted for 100% effective, and here's why:
I used to live in Manhattan. Actually, I was born and raised there, went to school there and only just moved for the first time out of Manhattan a year ago. (I'm 29) So, I have spent plenty of time on public transportation and let me tell you this: Those of you who complain about the WDW transport obviously have never waitied over an hour for a hot, UNairconditioned, smelly, subway train with 347 other people packed into it like a can of sardines, standing because the only seats have some unidentifiable brown gunk on them and the guy next to you is standing so close you can smell his bad breath only to have the train conductor say something about a delay and shut the train down while you are 30 min late for work and no idea when the train will be up again! Or standing in the rain as bus after bus pass you and don't stop but make sure to splash you on the curb. Or when you are waiting for an M15 local at a local stop and only express ones goes by.....for two hours!! Now THAT is sucky transportation!!!!! I understand everyone expects perfection from Disney, but if WDW is twice the size of Manhattan, and they transport so many thousands of people per day, then they are doing EXCELLENT in my book!!!

PS For Foxfire:
You said: I'd have to agree, driving can be a nightmare on the WDW roads. It's great when you can take the Osceola pkwy, but lately I've been staying on 192 so I'm stuck on I-4.
You mean to tell me you are complaining about the Disney transport and you don't even stay on site? No wonder things are harder for you! The buses from the resorts to the parks and back, especially at night are AWESOME!

Davis224

THe buses are awesome especially compared to some of the other systems around the property like the main gate bus system from that hotel chain.
They do a fantasmic job considering the amount of places, people to go.
Bravo Buses!

Invero

Originally posted by tinkrbel
does anyone have a picture of these new buses??

Here ya go!

Disney has been operating the RTS bus since the early 80's... In fact, we still have some of the originals, although they're mostly used for Cast Member shuttles, and training. (26XX-2744) A lot of them have been decommissioned, and were replaced with 2745-2799, and 4700-4804. The newest busses we have are 4805-4814... these are all late model RTS busses... they're only a few years old actually.

The new Nova LFS busses are 4815+... they are all low floor busses, with easy entry, and are quite spacious inside, to allow for more standing room. They are very nice busses.

Invero

D'oh! I forgot to attatch the image! Silly me!

Attachments

• newvsold.jpg
    newvsold.jpg
    73.8 KB · Views: 63

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom