Tower of Terror 10 Mile Race--I suggest you take the stairs

fmingo36

Original Poster
Sorry everyone. I had the report done days ago but have been having a heck of the time getting the photos included.​
I decided to just start a new thread with my pre-race report included, so if you already read just skip to the next post.​
PART 1-PRE-RACE
First thing I LOVED meeting my cyberWDWMagic.com friends. I really feel that the runner's board is a good group of people. YES there are hundred of thousands Disney fans but how many of them are willing to throw on a pair of sneakers and spend months of training to run at 10:00 at night in 80 degree weather. Yes, we are crazy bunch and I love you for it!!!
I am disappointed with the pre-race info. Starting with lack of communication from RUNDisney and the lack of/misinformation given to on-property cast members. I got such mixed info regarding the busing from our resort to the expo. I called the front desk at our resort to ask about the wheres and whens on the buses and I was patched into the General Disney HelpDesk. What???:confused: The person then read off the standard script.
The expo itself was kind of sad compared to other Disney races. There wasn't as many vendors and the overall energy was BLAH. Even the speakers were uninspiring.
The highlight light for me was meeting Jeff Galloway. He's a really great guy.
IMG_0745.jpg
PRE-RACE:
We got on the first bus to the race and had a really cool bus driver. We were the first bus to arrive at the race and they wouldn’t let us off the bus. Had to wait about 10 minutes. Our bus driver offered to take pictures of us and kept trying to pump us up. We spent some time on the bus talking with other runners. I enjoy hearing about why people run at Disney. I was surprised at the amount of cars still in the DHS parking lot when we arrived. This area should have been closed off hours ago.
The Meet & Greet.--- Like I said it was great meeting you. I loved sensing the excitement in those that were running their first Disney event, discussing training, and hearing about everyone’s families especially those that were there to cheer you on (Tim, I think it’s great that your parents were there). It might have been a little bit away from the official pre-race activities but I think it gave us a good place to stretch out and talk before the race…plus I think if I had to hear "Call Me Maybe" one more time I’d probably haul off and hit someone. (And Melissa-we could so do the AMAZING RACE together!)
Once back at the official Pre-Race activites, there was the usual DJ trying to get the crowd pumped up but honestly I couldn’t even think about wasting one ounce of my energy to woot-and-holler and I'm usually the loudest WOO-HOO girl around. The humidity was draining and that was even before we made it to the starting corral. People watching was fun. I give people a lot of credit for running in costumes! There were some fun background settings for photo-ops but I didn’t see any characters.
IMG_1073.jpg
Off to the corrals, my hubby and I were in Corral B. They had us start off in a starting corral. And they were definitely checking bibs and making sure you were in your correct corral. I heard quite a few people being told they could move back to run with a friend that had a lower corral letter but the friend could not move up. There were port-o-potties in each starting corral. We hung out there for bit before they starting moving us to the official starting line-corral by-corral. I have to say this was the shortest walk to the starting line for any Disney race I’ve attend. But then MORE waiting with the DJ counting us down. ONLY 15 more minutes …Are you ready? Only 10 more minutes…Are you ready? Only 8 more minutes…Are you ready? Augh!!! I was ready to run an hour ago…LET’S DO THIS THING!!!
An NO characters at the countdown. :(

fmingo36

Original Poster
Tower of Terror 10 Mile Race Report Mile by Mile

So at this time there is a gorgeous full moon out (nice touch Disney) and the temp is about 80 degrees with 80% humidity. Blinking is causing me to sweat at this point.

9:58 The first of two wheel chair starts. Fireworks and off they go

10:00PM Corral A is off and running. Fireworks –Hazah! GOOD LUCK JOEL!

10:05—Finally time for Corral B to start. YIPPIE! I am feeling a little nervous not because of the race I know I can do this but because I have been having some serious hip pain for about a week. Crazy flaring up pain like I have never experienced before. I’m nervous that the pain is going to hit me hard and I’ll be more focused on the pain and not be able to enjoy the race. I did drug myself up with some Tylenol before the race and hoped for the best.
We were at the very front of the corral. So when the firework went off so did we. I forgot to mention that as we were waiting for the race to start the DJ/MC repeatedly warned us that as we got through the starting line there was a small speed bump to look out for; guess who has two thumbs and tripped over the speed bump-yup, this girl right here!
IMG_1079.jpg

So we are off. And I was surprised that I was zig-zagging around people even at the start of the race. (Where these walkers from A corral?)About 1000 yards or so out we could see some funky lighting projected onto a concrete overpass and the could hear the theme song to the twighlight zone TV show. You are now entering (duhn-duhn-duhn) the twilight zone. A little further was a lovely hairpin turn to the on-ramp to the infamous Osceola Highway.
But wait what is this? A lonely crocodile on the side of the road. Just remember …NEVER smile at a crocodile.
IMG_1084.jpg

On our way to the Animal Kingdom, well the Animal Kingdom parking lot actually
Mile 1 was here before we knew it. Hello Evil Queen. So nice of you to join us tonight.
IMG_1088.jpg

I LOVED the mile markers. Each evil villain in the TOT service elevator. I looked forward to seeing who would be greeting us each mile.
On our way to mile 2 there was an old van (not sure if it was the one from Disney’s Cars or not) on the side of the road and someone on top of it with a mike cheering us on
Mile 2 –just outside the Animal Kingdom and the Yeti was greeting us on the mile marker.
IMG_1090.jpg

Through the parking tolls at AK and there on the side of the road were a puppet or two from the Mickey’s Jammin’ Jungle parade.
IMG_1091.jpg

We hit the turnaround in the parking lot and back onto Osceola Parkway and wait what do I hear? Is that “Be Prepared” blasting. YES! My first character encounter and it was a good one! Scar lounging on the top of an elephant skull with Shenzi, Bonai, and Ed. I am a happy girl! And before we knew it Scar was greeting us on the 3 mile marker.

IMG_1092.jpg

IMG_1093.jpg
Mile 4 and we are feeling great. Hot and sweaty but great! Dr. Falcilier is on the mile marker.

IMG_1094.jpg

And not much further was the real deal. So along with Dr. Facilier , there were some very large Tiki Gods and giant friends from the other side puppets floating around. (One spirit photo bombed us!)
IMG_1096.jpg

Next up--Miles 5 to 10 :D

fmingo36

Original Poster
Mile 5-halfway there! Capt. Hook is coming out of the elevator this time around.
IMG_1097.jpg

And here is where we turn towards the WWoS. There is an elephant skeleton to run through and then a dark, narrow dirt/gravel road. This was tough. Too many runners and it was dark! But I also loved this part of the race. It was spooky! They had some pirate skeletons hanging in cages from the trees and I did see a pirate ship on the side of the course. Not sure if there was a character for pictures there or not.
And then we are in the ESPN WWoS Complex. My eyes had to adjust from the darkness of the trail to the blaring lights of the stadiums. We ran through the complex including the running track and the baseball field. This was a fun area to run through. Great energy from the spectators and voluntEARS. (Yes, someone in the stands at the baseball field had a sign that said “Worse Parade Ever”). They also had the runners projected on the jumbo tron in the stadium and it looked like we were running out of the TOT elevator.
IMG_1102.jpg

Somewhere on the way out of the complex was a graveyard scene and some grave diggers out for a photo op. I did not stop. I should have but I was on the opposite side of the coarse and honestly I didn’t want to zig-zag across the course and wait for what seemed like the longest line of the night. I was feeling good and just wanted to keep on running!
And before we hit Osceola Blvd. we hit Mile Marker 7 and the Big Bad Wolf or the BBW as I like to call him.
IMG_1105.jpg

But wait not only is he on the mile marker, he’s there in person to huff and puff with. A rare character sighting. I was in heaven!
IMG_1104.jpg

Back on Osceola Parkway and at Mile Marker 8, the Queen of Hearts and some of her Wonderland friends (Does the Queen have friends?)
IMG_1107.jpg

IMG_1108.jpg

Down the ramp way and the past the crocodile, hit the hairpin turn and heading towards Disney Hollywood Studios. I was a little disappointed in the run through the park-no characters, no Osbourne Light spectacular, not even a run up Hollywood Blvd. Just through the stunt show, the tunnel that is used in the backlot studio tour, and then backstage to end at the backside of the Tower of Terror.
Race finished. Official time 2:03:58
IMG_1119.jpg

Post-race and Villian's Bash thoughts coming soon!

Ariel484

Love your report so far! You guys are great at coming up with creative poses for your pictures :) Really love your rare character pictures, very cool. Congrats on completing another Disney race!

Kristia

Great report and pics! Hope I can run this someday although I will be hoping that the heat and humidity aren't as bad! Can't wait to see the rest.

joel_maxwell

Permanent Resident of EPCOT
Love the report Coryna. Im glad people take pictures like this because when Sam asks me what the course looked like, I really cant tell her. I enjoy every second Im on it and I "see" everything, but like I told Brad, I shut down mentally as much as I can so everything is a blur. I told her, "Well, there was a bone yard, and the grave diggers were out.... and I met Cruella Deville". :D

JillC LI

That's a great report Coryna. Seems like a lot of fun. I'm glad your hip held up. The course sounds very similar to the TOT 13K course (8.1 miles) - I'm not exactly sure where the extra 2 miles were added though. But there were no cool character sightings on the 13K though. It must have been great to run this race with your hubby on your anniversary.

As a complete aside, how exactly do you post the photos in the report? I've never been able to do that, and I'm sure it's quite easy, but I just don't know how. With our upcoming trip in December, I'd love to be able to do a trip report with photos. Thanks!

JillC LI

LOL, I was just trying to figure out why your thread was entitled "I suggest you take the stairs" because I hadn't seen any reference to steps although I assumed it had something to do with quad pain after the race, but it just dawned on me that you must be making a reference to the ToT ride - - - which I have never gone on! Am I correct? Yes, I'm a little slow! LOL.

joel_maxwell

Permanent Resident of EPCOT
LOL, I was just trying to figure out why your thread was entitled "I suggest you take the stairs" because I hadn't seen any reference to steps although I assumed it had something to do with quad pain after the race, but it just dawned on me that you must be making a reference to the ToT ride - - - which I have never gone on! Am I correct? Yes, I'm a little slow! LOL.
When I first read it, i thought about the bag check area and how we had to walk into Indy and back out. I hadnt stretched out yet, so I was tight as a rubber band.

I think she is referring to the ToT elevator vs. the stairs. :D

DisneyRunner

I post my pictures using photobucket. I passed on the hyenas shot. I thought the line was too long. Early on, I was worried about the split times my sister and I were laying down. Also, passed on the mile markers. I didn't see the BBW. The gravedigger line wasn't too bad, so we stopped. Brightroom was there to take pictures. I think that was another reason I stopped. I think their picture is better, but here is the one from my camera.
tot10miler101.jpg

fmingo36

Original Poster

I have a TOT t-shirt with Mickey looking into an empty elevator shaft and on the back of the shirt it says "I suggest you take the stairs" and everytime I ride the TOT and I'm dropping 13 stories and always think about that saying.

fmingo36

Original Poster
That's a great report Coryna. Seems like a lot of fun. I'm glad your hip held up. The course sounds very similar to the TOT 13K course (8.1 miles) - I'm not exactly sure where the extra 2 miles were added though. But there were no cool character sightings on the 13K though. It must have been great to run this race with your hubby on your anniversary.

As a complete aside, how exactly do you post the photos in the report? I've never been able to do that, and I'm sure it's quite easy, but I just don't know how. With our upcoming trip in December, I'd love to be able to do a trip report with photos. Thanks!

It was wonderful running with my husband. It was our first event together. We did the W&D together 2 years ago bit we did the relay so that doesn't count. And he was supposed to run the Disneyland 1/2 Marathon with me last year but he had surgery on his foot.
We have two more events coming up this month. Hopefully we'll have cooler temps.

I bet they made up the 2 miles in the WWoS complex. I believe this is the first race that used that as part of the course.
As for the photo posting after numerous tries and swearing like Yosemite Sam, I finally figured it out.
First you need to sign up with photo sharing site. I use Photo Bucket.
Once you download the pictures
IGoto the image on PhotoBucket.
  1. Click on "Share" above the image.
  2. Click "Get Link Code"
  3. Got to the section for "IMG for bulletin boards & forums".
  4. In the "Full size" box, click on the code to highlight, then right click and "Copy".
  5. Goto the post on WDWMAGIC where you wish to put the image, and then right click and "Paste".
If you use a different phot sharing site , there are directions under the help area on the main board.

fmingo36

Original Poster
Love the report Coryna. Im glad people take pictures like this because when Sam asks me what the course looked like, I really cant tell her. I enjoy every second Im on it and I "see" everything, but like I told Brad, I shut down mentally as much as I can so everything is a blur. I told her, "Well, there was a bone yard, and the grave diggers were out.... and I met Cruella Deville". :D

I run at Disney for the photo ops. :D

Texas84

Epic post is epic. We walked right past Jeff Galloway but the line was too long. It was like seeing Elvis for me. :D Looked like he was having fun.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom