[Tough choices] What would cause you to cancel your WDW trip?

FettFan

Original Poster
Long story short...I'm working on my MA in history, and was planning a trip for mid-July.

The problem is...I have a class scheduled for the summer semester. Typically the summer courses start the first week June and are finished by the second week of July. However, the University has changed the dates this year...starting in mid-June and running though the end of July.

The dilemma lays in the fact that it's not MY trip...it's a big family thing. Me, my girl, my sister and brother-in-law, parents, grandparents and a few of my cousins. So switching dates is not really an option.

PRO: It would not be the end of the world should I drop the class. Worse case scenario is that I just have to take an extra semester before graduating.

CON: I've already been working for three years for my degree. The proverbial race is almost finished...I can practically feel my diploma in my hands, and the thought of an extra semester does not appeal to me.

PRO: Disney is the cheaper option. :p I already have my five-day hopper pass (Christmas!), so I'd just have to pay for my share of the gasoline and the hotel.With the number of us going, that should only come to about $200-300 or so. One class at University? $1100.

CON: I don't like promoting the image of being some kind of slacker. If I don't take the class, despite being approved, I do have to face questioning from my adviser. If that happens, I don't think "Disney World" would be an appropriate answer...I'll just have to "Lie without lying" and simply explain that I needed a break and felt that the faster pace of the coursework would have bogged me down. (4 months worth of material shoved into one and a half. People go crazy from that)

Do I take a much needed WDW break? (seriously, July will be over two years since I took any kind of break from work....May 2011 was my last WDW trip)
Or should I be "responsible" and finish my coursework?

mousehockey37

I think the question to ask in this scenario is....

What do YOU want to do?

You're going for an MA, you're mostly educated ;) Do you need a break?

The aforementioned cons do apply though that yes, you will have people looking at you from different angles, but hey, there are people that can only afford 1 class at a time for ANY degree anymore, so it's not a matter of "lie about lying".

Are there possible job offers in the balance? Are you being actively pursued by companies/employers? If so, I'd urge you to finish up and go make the money so you can go to WDW when you want. If the employment after graduation isn't a big deal (aka, nothing's lined up yet) and you don't mind the break, then yeah, head for WDW and enjoy the family time.

Figgy1

Premium Member
I don't envy your dilema. I always tell my children education above all but they are younger. One thing I can tell you once you have graduated there will be many more trips tp the world. Good luck!

Goofyernmost

As much as I love Disney, I would say that if you compare the two in relation to your life in total. Completing your education as soon as possible would be a 10 and going to WDW would be somewhere around a 1, if that high. (10 equals the highest - 0 equals lowest)

After you have achieved your important goal, you can reward yourself by going to Disney. It will still be there and you will go a different person. You will be able to actually start your career earlier thus eliminating the competition that may be close behind you currently. Don't give them another semester to possibly get out there before you. Think of it as a Fastpass to life. ;) Maybe a Magic Band that opens the door to the future. :D

It doesn't seem like a tough choice to me!:)

draybook

We've cancelled once. September of 2010. Our daughter was cheerleading(competitive) and they knew before hand that we had the trip planned. Well, about 2 months before we were supposed to leave they got a new choreographer and routine. Suddenly they weren't sure about us going. Then, with a little under a month to go my wife tells me that they said if we went she would be off of the team. Well, of course we're not going to let her lose her spot after all of her hard work and the money spent. Cheering is very expensive! So we cancelled and lost half of the deposit. Also, I had purchased the Halloween tickets for both parties that we planned on attending, so I lost those too, since I wasn't aware that I could sell them on auction sites. So, this guy wasn't too happy about losing out on $400ish bucks, but life happens.

Skibum1970

I spent two and a half years finishing my Bachelor's program (originally just had my Associates) and I was working full time. I took classes in the summer to shorten things as I could only take two to three classes in the evening while also working. Thus, I would say that you have the rest of your life to enjoy stuff like WDW and you should finish your education. Plus, I would bet that your family would understand.

I have cancelled two trips and both for emergencies. One was a house repair that depleted the vacation fund and the second was a dental emergency that did the same thing. Rather than hit savings to pay stuff off, we cancelled the trip and used the money saved to pay for the emergencies. Both times, while I missed going, I felt much better with having done the responsible thing.

While your family may not be able to make it, is there a way that you can set up a trip to celebrate your graduation?

Poofiesdream

Unlike most I say go to Disney. You never know what will happen to those family members down the road. At 16 we almost lost our son in a bad car accident. After brain surgery and a lot of rehab we have him back. Thinking we almost loss him we thought back to all the memories we could have had with him but didn't because of other things we put first. If you can postpone your class and take it later do it! It will be there later. Can you say that for all the people who you are going with for sure? Family first!:)

ThankstoMOM

I would only ever cancel a trip if some one had passed away!
Every one makes a good point and to each there own but, I say go to Disney. Family first,school will always be there!!!!! Your family and friends will not, plain and simple. Lifes way too short and the memories we create with our families and friends will out last us, and are PRICELESS. There are so many things I should have done/experienced with loved ones that are gone,and now I never can. It's my lifes only true regret. Memories are every thing to me,they are more valuable then anything!!!!!. Sorry your in the situation you are, and good luck on your decision.

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
Is it a class that meets everyday? If you would only be gone for 1 or 2 classes perhaps you could work something out with the professor and make up the work beforehand. I went to Disney while I was getting my master's degree and I had to miss two classes (we were allowed to miss up to 2 without it impacting our grade). I made up all the work ahead of time.

luv

That's a tough one! If it would mean ing off the whole family, I'd probably suck it up and go. But if they would be understanding about it, I'd stick with school. You never know what is going to come up in the future. Always best to do these things sooner rather than later.

If you do go, a trip with the family is a fine "excuse." I'm not sure why you need an excuses, lol, but the truth is almost always the easiest way to go. And it is the best way, honestly, even when it isn't the easiest. People are always so quick to assume that their good reasons aren't good enough for others, lol. No reason to lie that I can see.

Me, I'd bow out of the trip and finish my classes. I took two summer classes (five or six weeks each) one summer and never felt more over-worked in my life. They really cram a LOT of work in! I spent my entire summer doing nothing but freaking Chemistry. Be prepared for the fact that you may end up spending ALL of your time on school crap. And I hated the second Chem class...but I did it, got it over with and moved on. :)

I was glad later that I'd given up that summer!!! :) But it did suck while I did it, especially with people calling about cookouts and beach parties and all manner of fun things. :(

Good luck with your decision.

JIMINYCR

Agree totally with Goofyernmost's post. Use Disney as an incentive to get you through the last classes to earn your diploma. You're so close to completing that goal. Get it behind you. I don't really see this as a family vs school dilemma. It's play or make a career making move. After you get that degree, life is going to continue hitting you with many tough choices, where you have to choose between career moves, business opportunities, work responsibilities or play. Play always comes after hard work. Play doesnt pay the bills or get you further ahead in this world.

bethymouse

Are you able to do some assignments online? Most professors will allow you to do the work as a "self study" if you ask. I guess what I'm saying is I wouldn't cancel, but it's up to you. The option of waiting until you graduate and give yourself the best graduation present ever also sounds like a good one! Good luck!:D

draybook

Are you able to do some assignments online? Most professors will allow you to do the work as a "self study" if you ask. I guess what I'm saying is I wouldn't cancel, but it's up to you. The option of waiting until you graduate and give yourself the best graduation present ever also sounds like a good one! Good luck!:D

Indeed. My courses are online through our local community college. I'm taking four classes this semester, and with me working 11 hours a day it's tough to keep up sometimes. I love online courses, as it's very flexible for people like me who don't have time to make it to the campus.

rsoxguy

I do not see this as a tough choice. Finish the school work. A family that provides loving support and respects your future will fully understand and support this decision.

Sans Souci

I agree with the others who said to cancel your trip. If you are itching now to graduate, think about how you will feel when you are staying on an extra semester when you could have graduated. I know how you feel. I was counting down the weeks until I graduation for the final two quarters. I could not imagine going back for another quarter.

Also, I don't know if you are planning on furthering your studies, but I would be reluctant to lie to an academic adviser. Maybe you will need her/him for a LoR one day? You never know.

JMO.

I do understand the temptation to not take the class, though.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom