Total MK Refurb

tman2000

Original Poster
I'm not suggesting that one is necessary, rather, I offer my thoughts on what could/should be done if you were to decide to redo the entire park. I don't mean for say a new MK out in the world somewhere, but for the WDW property in Orlando specifically.

Before I start, allow me to discuss a few pertinent issues. First, what would the advantage be of overhauling the park? If I was being realistic, I talk more in terms of realignment and refurb and a little expansion here and there. This is my 'dream' MK, so to speak, so I'm going nuts here. Still, I wanted to be realistic - no crazy tech or anything. In order to justify an overhaul I need to justify why MK needs more 'things-to-do'. Although the park can be awfully quiet certain times of the year, I think an ideal set-up is one where except on the busiest days the park feels 'busy not crowded'. Or, 'alive not overbearing', or, 'vibrant not oppressive'. So you want people to be spread out with a lot of activity to absorb them. That's the justification for expanding a single park. And MK ought to be the flagship. Of all the parks it ought to be one where you could say: "I could spend a week here". Imagine as it was when it was the only park. But it still must be the size of one park, so that people can spend one or two days there and feel good about visiting the others.

Another issue is merchandise. I can't go into that, because that's not what this is about, but a good park will sell merchandise because it's themed properly. People by the junk so they will remember being at 'that place'. Providing a powerful sense of 'that' place is what I want to accomplish.

So, unifying the two concepts you have a MK park where each 'land' has a strong sense of 'that place'. Where say, Hollywood Studios can just be Hollywood Studios. MK won't, then, be a place - but a symbol, the castle - which represents the 'places' belonging.

What does that symbol represent? The railroad bridge you have to go under at the entrance to both MK and Disneyland tells you that you are entering the land of "yesterday, tomorrow, and fantasy". I think of it as frontiers - the boundary of what is hoped for and imagined - the threshold of the is and might be. There might be treasure on that island, gold in those hills, freedom in this country, a better tomorrow, a charming prince, etc. etc. That's the essence and reason for being for each land, so each 'that place' must fit the overall category.

Final disclaimer - Keep in mind that even with some dramatic proposals here, I anticipate that 'classic' rides will remain intact where they're actually classic - Disneyland.

I'll go land by land, then say a few words about the whole WDW property:

1) Main Street USA
For Main Street, I'd change very little. Services and shops. I would pull the ice cream and hot dogs and so forth forward to town square - and put more seating there. I know it's called 'Main Street', and I know town square is crowded as it is, but it's an honest-to-goodness 'place'. That place represents a precursor to the rest of the kingdom. It's a place where hope is already alive, a happy-go-lucky yet simple paradise recognizeable to child and adult that provokes the question: "How did this get here, what dark caves and forests and shores were conquered so that life could be so simple and grand." It prepares the guests in their transition from the real, and imperfect, world by providing them with that sense of no-worries magic.

Today, by the time you get to Casey's you're in full view of the castle plaza - which is fine - but it does ruin the sense of 'place' for main street. In order to connect the newer/busier town square (enlargened) to activities, I'd provide a more visible and accessible entrance to the train. I'd also put an attraction or two to get people to 'stick around' in town square and therefore notice the train more. I'd also make these attractions more visible. Anonymous merch stores are one thing, but attractions should stand out as such. In terms of attractions, I'm thinking museum/small movie type deals. Merchandise stores on the square would sell 'Main Street' or 'Town Square' stuff.

On the street towards the castle, I'd put the services - photopass etc. As well as the general Merch stores. Whatever didn't fit in the town square - maybe the bakery - would be closer to the town square, and farther from the castle.

2) Castle Plaza
I envision this as a place that is quiet most of the time, busy during parade/fireworks. I'm not saying there shouldn't be traffic through here - MOST traffic should be through here. What I mean is that you won't see people doing anything besides 1) resting or 2) walking through/pictures. It will feel like a sort of magical limbo, capturing the essence of the whole MK without bleeding elements from any particular spot (ignoring the castle/fantasy connection).

3) Adventureland
Big changes here, but easy to describe. Adventure represents unknown danger, so this land should inherently be thought of as 'scarier'. Not in a terrifying sense, but in the same sense as Snow White is a 'scary ride'. Not every little kid will want to go here.

First thing I'd do is expand out the Carribean plaza to about where Aladdin carpets are now, and subsume it all. I'd then cap it (one of few instances), and make the whole thing indoor/nighttime. I'd then go to town with the pirate theme (not POTC movie, but the timeless pirate theme). I'd include CM chases and shows throughout (but I'd do that in the whole park). For the POTC showpiece I'd do something blasphemous, but which we must come to terms with. The POTC movie sort of ruined the ride. The movie incorporates an element or two from the ride, the ride a thing or two from the movie. Both become disjointed (especially the ride) in this light. Plus WDW POTC is just shameful in the light of the DL version. I'd keep boats and things, but keeping in mind that you'll already have a whole 'nighttime town' outside the ride, I'd create theme (not character!) based narrative around pirates and the town. Pirates attack, you chase them to a cave, they chase back, special water effects, etc. Character franchise based things can stay in the Merch shops or even the shows. The ride will have to outlast the franchise, because it is the anchor for the 'land'.

To make room for Tiki stuff I'd push AL down into the River Cruise to about where the temple is, then push the river cruise down to the train tracks. I'd axe any Arabian theme - and save it for other projects (see T DisneySea). In place of the temple from River Cruise, I'd go to town on an indoor/outdoor Indiana Jones coaster that intersects the river cruise indoors and outdoors. I'd make the river cruise scarier and updated by interacting with some of the effects associated with the temple. Because of AK I'd drop the focus on animals and jungles 'around the world' and explicitly say "This is the river that is in the scary anonymous jungle that the scary IJ temple is in".

4) Frontierland & Liberty Square
Okay, I'd rename this. I'm not sure what - but I'd go with an early America theme. From 1776-1876. This subsumes the revolutionary spirit, the pioneer/pilgrim spirit, and the mountain man/rugged individualism of America. Think defunct "Disney's America". I'd hate to name it "Liberty Land" for corniness, but that would be the essence of the place. Cowboys, revolutionaries, "I do what I want"-ors. Maybe squeeze in an 'American Inventors' square south of HM. Bell, Edison, etc. You'd avoid any cross reference to tomorrow land - it isn't about the tech, it's about the spirit of individualism. I'd drop an MK railroad stop right there. Going down along the map a little I'd retool to include some more America themes - now the West belongs to DL, so I'd flesh out the colonial theme a bit more (liberty square is hard to notice if you're a kid). Then, maybe add a Dixie theme going round towards splash mountain. I'd even have a New Orleans type facade for this side's entrance to Carribean Plaza (spanish fort adjacent to jungle). At Big Thunder, and going up to round the River, I'd add some cowboy/frontier stuff - but from a more Eastern perspective: Lewis and Clark, Covered Wagons, etc. Then, I'd have a boat launch there so the riverboat can act as literal transportation.

5) Fantasyland
I'm assuming the current FLE up to Ariel and Be Our Guest is good to go. All I'd do to change this is cut back on the castles - Cinderella's is fine, and SB has three! I'd add princess cottages or chateaus (think Marie Antoinette). And I'd make absolute sure the area had a dark/shaded live evergreen feel. You should feel like you're in the middle of a dark wood, but the cottages should be really bright and beautiful. I'd have shows that take place up on the wall between forest and castle town (ie big bad wolf from forest, or witch or whatever, yells down, dwarves call for help to save princess etc.) And I'd have 'warning' signs on the wall signifying the forest could be dangerous - NOT scary - but mysterious. Perfect kid PJ's (girls AND boys) "I survived the enchanted forest".

6)Toontown Fair
I'd set this up as a 'circus' and call it something 'circus'. Dumbo would go here, I'd make Goofy into a pinnochio roller coaster, and then I'd use the tents to feature 'rolling attractions'. Basically, whatever franchise is hot, but not quite yet classic, can call this place home each year. This is how disney can take advantage of new franchises without spoiling the rest of the park with them.

7)Tomorrowland
Oh goodness!!! First, on the approach from castle plaza I'd remove all attractions and put shops a la Main Street. People should feel like they've 'arrived' in TL before they start lining up for attractions. I'd take each 'corner' and dress it up so that each has a fancy, clear, monolithic, facade advertising one great attraction each. In other words, SGE entrance faces the AO - but won't be SGE. Buzz and Monsters become one attraction with entrance facing AO. Make space as necessary.

For sense of 'place' I'd focus on 4 classic themes. These all subsume 'tomorrowness' without ever growing old. They represent the extreme frontiers of the imagination - and as such, will require a thousand tomorrows to ever be breached - in other words, will always be 'tomorrow' oriented: Space, Time, The Mind/Dreams, Other Life (Robots/AI, Aliens). Each of the corners represents each theme - and the merchandise reflects this. Space mountain remains, behind the 'Space' facade - which might be another 'capped' indoor area. Carousel of Progress can remain - maybe - but under something else. You'd have a 'dreams' ride a la Inception, and a Time ride that would basically be a Soarin' type deal mixed with the old Tom Morrow thing. A little more adventure, a little less education. Aliens/Robots could be whatever really. I'd like to see a carousel of progress that retains the first 3/4 sections (maybe cuts 1 or 2), and the 'tools' that help mankind - think 'electric stove' - become actual robotic/AI servants. The ending would have robots that are considered equals to man, and 'friends'. Nothing malevolent, no robot revolutions or opression. Just a steady progression from industrial household appliances, to true companions to human life. THAT would give COP some legs to last for a while, no? Hey, have COP ramp 'up' in a spiral and fill two stories. You could squeeze in a few more diaramas.

8)Surprise!
Autopia is great, Tomorrowland Speedway stinks. But why remake Autopia when it already exists? I say use this land for something new, something else...

Badland! A 'Dark Kingdom' of villains. Villain land basically. It's called "Bad-land" in a sort of kitsch way because the concentration of evil scarieness will be such that you'd have to add a 'silly' element to the themeing. Thus "Bad-land" instead of "Evil-land" for instance. Here you could go to town on all kinds of villain stuff. But in a goofy way. For instance, a 'villains spa' where the walls feature pictures of Hades in tennis shorts serving to Ursula with 8 tennis rackets. It would sell bath products - always in demand - but with funky 'disney villain' twists. Think: "Poison Apple Aromatherapy". I know. I know.

FINAL THOUGHTS)

As for the whole 'world', I'd make some big changes. First, I'd make it a destination - convince people that they need to be there with DVC like deals. Maybe 5-year packages. "Hey, your kids will be young for five more years, so come 3 of the 5 years cheap!" Charter flights out of key cities like Boston, NY, DC. Really get people to the world aggressively. Well, this is a business thing really - I'm here to talk about design!

I'd select a couple of entry points for the 'world', filter traffic through them, and make big awesome gateways. No DisneyStore kitsch - I mean living, textured gateways. On property I'd control traffic flow. You want people to be able to drive where they want - I guess - but I'm thinking a busier, bigger world here!

I propose eventually relocating TTC just shy of the Swan and Dolphin. Monorail to MK. Monorail on Epcot/DHS loop. And finally, yes, an AK monorail that...

Stops at Park #5!!!! (one sec and I'll discuss).

I'd then split the 'world' into 'areas'. An example: MK area. The resorts will become more interconnected. Cross pollenation will be encouraged (ie staying at Contemporary means Volcano slide and Narcoosee's). I would add Boardwalk/DTD type features to each area to be shared. Transport between areas goes through TTC. AK would have its area. Epcot/DHS have the boardwalk. DTD would be outside the 'Big Awesome Gateway' (BAG), and sort of like WDW's link with outer Orlando - justifying the ugly hotels nearby.

And park #5: What is not represented within the scope of a park at WDW? History!!! You have tech, animals, movies/entertainment (oh yes, add Broadway to DHS), international, fantasy, imagination. But no honest to goodness history. Where's my evidence? Where in heavens is Rome, Egypt, Greece, in Disney? There was a Hercules movie, wasn't there? Where's the 'place'?

So... A more realistic approach to history (realistic in the same way AK's 'Anandapur' is realistic - the animals are real - and so will the historical features be). But, in order to take it to town, mix the history with the DisneySea concept (defunct and in Tokyo). BOOM! Seas of Time! You'll have an 'island' that frozen in time, where settlers from all time periods have settled (a la Dinotopia minus dinosaurs). So you'll have the futuristic underwater seaport of tomorrow. Industrial age New York skyline, steamliners etc. Imperial British London with around the world in 80 days, Paris and Verne stuff. Going back to Age of Discovery with Portugese architecture and 'off the edge of the earth' ride. Rome, Greece, Egypt. Arabia/Sinbad. Ancient Imperial China!!!! And don't forget Atlantis - sure to appear in future National Treasure and POTC movies, oh, plus it's already had one. Each time period represented by its maritime achievements. BAM!

That's my massive retool. Didn't need a thread necessarily, but is better off with one of its own since I've written far too much, leaving plenty to possibly discuss.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom