Top Five Things (people forget to tell you about WDW)

MikeTaylorSound

Original Poster
And they all have to do with WALKING!

#5. You're going to be doing a lot of walking (sometimes uphill!)
I've seen pedometers range from 5-13 miles in the Magic Kingdom for one day. You have to remember that human feet are for walking on the dirt, not concrete. So, get on the treadmill a few weeks before your trip and build up your endurance, your feet will thank you. Also, see #3. If you can walk 5 miles in one hour, you should be OK.

#4. Your adolescent is not an athlete (unless they're an athlete)...
...and all of those hours on youtube and even homework (ala, not being outside and sitting instead) converts to whining and complaining (I'm sure there's an equation somewhere for it!) which turns into your annoyance and frustration, especially in the hot and humid Florida weather. Don't assume they have "endless child energy", because your diet in the 70's and 80's was more than likely healthier than what this generation is consuming.

#3. MOLESKIN!
Yes, this is a thing. It's what you need if you don't heed the advice of #5. You or someone you know are probably going to get blisters on their feet or in between your toes and it's going to impede your fun. I need the South Park Ski Instructor Meme for this one: "You're not going to have a good time if you get a blister". Moleskin is basically an adhesive strip with a hole cut out in the center for the blistered area (if you didn't know already). You can find this at probably any shop or gift store in WDW.

#2. Baby Powder
Stock up on this stuff. Use it in your shoes, in between your toes and legs, it's worth its weight in gold if it prevents a) having to buy and use moleskin; b) your kids from complaining; and c) chaffing in between your thighs since you're going to be walking a lot. Nothing is worse than having a nagging injury or something comparable to take your focus off of the fun.

#1. Don't buy new shoes for your trip (to wear).
Flip flops are one thing for the Water Park, but wearing new running/walking/casual shoes throughout your trip will just make you angry! Breaking in a pair of shoes at this time is not a good idea and come to think of it:

#1a. Try not to change your routine to accommodate something.
There's a strange reason why the time change from daylight savings affects us and causes the most pedestrian and car accidents in the U.S. on a single day and it probably has something to do with routine. Some people can sleep-drive in a commute without any problems, but take away their one hour of sleep and everything goes haywire. Realize that not everyone lives in EST, and their jump forward is probably messing with them (it's not just jet lag). I know it's a hard sell to advise not changing a routine when the time change is forcing you to, but that's the nature of the vacation beast and you can try your best to gradually ease into things. So...

#1b. Don't try to see everything the first day!
Don't be that family that's running around, someone always barking orders at loved ones... "We're gonna miss NEMO and it's the last showing for the day!" Well, if you had taken into account that Sally, Jesse, and Raphael all needed showers and waking up before Mom and Dad got in there, the long line at breakfast, eating breakfast, someone taking a long time in the bathroom, the last five buses weren't for Animal Kingdom, your plan to ride Kilamanjaro Safaris early that turned into a 75 minute standby endurance (plus 20 minutes of animal delays two hours after the park opened), and your changed FP+ selection to DINOSAUR had you walking from Africa to Dinoland back to Africa for your Tusker House rezzy, you wouldn't be in this situation.

Tinkerbell397

Heat....Heat....Heat..... Disney is hot hot hot...... for those of us who live with 4 seasons and thoroughly enjoy them, we think of September as a month of transition into fall and cooler weather. WRONG...not in Florida. May though September, the heat and humidity is enough to knock the life right out of you. When you get up in the morning, you shower and follow the hints from @MikeTaylorSound using baby powder and moleskin....you think you are ready to enjoy the day and BAM! The heat and humidity hit you right in the face...everything starts to sweat....even your arms and legs sweat. I find it helpful to use Frogg Toggs and a spray bottle. This heat does not keep me from visiting Disney but it is important to be prepared. :cat:

jonesenon4

yes its a lot of walking but its generally casual walking so not so bad. the problem is the lines remember to keep your knees flexed and not locked.that is where the problem comes .:banghead:

ZodIsGr8

That cups of ice water are free so you can save a lot of money by not purchasing bottled water or soda at the parks! This comes in real handy on those warm days!

ZodIsGr8

Taking the boat from Hollywood Studios to Epcot's World Showcase. This allows you to get into the park much quicker and puts you at a great place to either start walking the countries or getting to Future World with relative ease.

Bairstow

Four pieces of gear I recommend to any serious theme park nerd:

1. Cargo shorts.
Because having to carry a bag around, any bag, is annoying.
Cargo-Shorts-for-Men.jpg

2. Fisherman sandals
It's Florida, it's going to rain. And there will be puddles. And then your socks are going to be wet. And they'll stay wet. It's hard to enjoy Ellen's Energy Adventure when you have trenchfoot.
keens.jpg

3. Dollar store ponchos.
These fit easily into #1. Use and discard.

100dollar_store_items_ponchos_article.jpg

4. Collapsible water bottles
Also fits easily into #1. Try to drink a full bottle every 2 attractions. If you or your kids are not having to go to visit the Tangled single rider line, you're not drinking enough water.

vapur_collapsible_green_det.jpg

Last edited:

graphite1326

I think the first time I went, and I wish someone had told me, the parks are not near each other. I know that this was stupid on my part. But since then I have talked to many people who have no idea. I thought I could just go from one park to another with no problems. It takes a while to go from one to the other.

kasey1988

I think the first time I went, and I wish someone had told me, the parks are not near each other. I know that this was stupid on my part. But since then I have talked to many people who have no idea. I thought I could just go from one park to another with no problems. It takes a while to go from one to the other.
I agree with this, I try and explain it to friends that are going and they really don't get it until they get there and are shocked it can take 15+ minutes to drive to another park

IWantMyMagicBand

1. Sunscreen sunscreen sunhat sunscreen sunscreen. Covered shoulders, comfy shoes. Sunburn scars for life (even though you can't see it), blisters are painful. Use a broad spectrum 5* rated photostable Factor 30. Disney is not a fashion parade.
2. Little girls (and sometimes boys) may be able to go for a quick trip to the shops in 1 inch heels, but a 5 year old cannot do a Disney park all day in heels. Us grown ups wouldn't try it.
3. You may be staying somewhere offsite that is "only 10 minutes from Disney". That means at least 30 minutes to the gate once you have gone through the toll booth. "10 minutes from Disney" could be Animal Kingdom so in reality you are an hour to MK turnstiles.
4. Your under 10 loves fireworks and you have a breakfast reservation that morning? Take a break for a couple of hours in the afternoon. Not for swimming, for resting. Disney parks at night are so much better and when I was a child, riding Autopia in the dark was brilliant. Who can spot the CM on the bends? Frightens the life out of me everytime lol. And teacups in the dark is great, as is Thunder Mountain.
5. Photopass is great and no decisions need to be made until you're home as to whether you want any pictures.

Csmith041177

Agree with everything!!!! I have seen folks buy new shoes right before a trip because they know how much walking they will be doing and think that is a good idea. WRONG!

DfromATX

I now know to bring Band-aids for those blisters, but just in case you forget, they will give them to you (free) at the first aid stations. Of course, the stations could be a long trek from where you actually are. And ladies, if you can avoid bringing your purse, do it. My kids are older so we don't have to worry about lugging around a bunch of crap, thank God!! LOL. Wear shorts with pockets and bring only what you need. Don't forget something to put your hair up in because of the HEAT and HUMIDITY -- but you'll figure that one out as soon as you walk out the door the first day.

DfromATX

Heat....Heat....Heat..... Disney is hot hot hot...... for those of us who live with 4 seasons and thoroughly enjoy them, we think of September as a month of transition into fall and cooler weather. WRONG...not in Florida. May though September, the heat and humidity is enough to knock the life right out of you. When you get up in the morning, you shower and follow the hints from @MikeTaylorSound using baby powder and moleskin....you think you are ready to enjoy the day and BAM! The heat and humidity hit you right in the face...everything starts to sweat....even your arms and legs sweat. I find it helpful to use Frogg Toggs and a spray bottle. This heat does not keep me from visiting Disney but it is important to be prepared. :cat:

Agreed! And I'm from Texas, and in Texas we are not usually outside all day in the heat. The humidity is horrible. I would stay away from July - September. We went once in July, never again. June, although crowded, is our preferred month.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom