Tony Baxter D23 Interview: slams NextGen and The Myth of the Story

WDW1974

Because those same Disney execs have their heads buried in their smart phones all day long.

To them, Tony is a dinosaur.:mad:

To us, Tony probably was the highest ranking Disney exec who understood was a theme park is all about.

That's true.

There's only a handful left. These children they have at WDI are akin to many of the young bloggers. They have a passion for Disney, but their history is murky and based more on something they found in a 1977 VacationLand magazine. There's no context, no depth and no deep understanding.

What's going to happen when folks like Kim Irvine and Tom Morris and Kevin Rafferty leave?

Do the kids who designed New Fantasyland inspire you to feel good about the future?

HMF

That's true.

There's only a handful left. These children they have at WDI are akin to many of the young bloggers. They have a passion for Disney, but their history is murky and based more on something they found in a 1977 VacationLand magazine. There's no context, no depth and no deep understanding.

What's going to happen when folks like Kim Irvine and Tom Morris and Kevin Rafferty leave?

Do the kids who designed New Fantasyland inspire you to feel good about the future?
Considering that most imagineers today like to pepper everything with catchphrases like "Story" "Magic" "Immerse" "Interactivity" Our job is to tell stories and create Magic blah blah blah, No I can't give you actual details so heres a half-truth or flat-out lie for you to report on your blog. It's all about Magic, storytelling, and immersiveness Interactivity,and creating new experiences which we can't give you details on blah blah blah oh and of course I am sure Walt would approve of my work if he were alive today and that does not make me sound pretensious and arrogant at all and look at the hidden tributes that we put there just for the sake of it to be coded messages so that the foamers think we care about them, That is the impression I get from most of the current generation of Imagineers. Walking-talking press releases giving out coded messages with vague references that have no actual substance. Meanwhile Universal Creative actually have me convinced that they care about creating a world with total sincerity without any of the self-aware interactive BS that Disney seems to love these day and they actually get things built rather than just hype up the fan base by giving vague hints about projects that may or may not actually happen like WDI does.

Last edited:

Captain Neo

Original Poster
In Insidethemagic's video of the Hatbox ghost they have 2 imagineers around my age who really have no clue what they are talking about and don't seem all that knowledgeable or even care enough about the Hatbox ghost.

They can't even answer the questions properly. Ricky asks what makes the hatbox ghost such an iconic and enduring figure and there like "uh well I mean its a classic ghost right!" and there were other imagineers that I saw there were like "yea you know its all about bringing that disney magic so guests can have magical experiences at our parks".

Figments Friend

Wow...that just made my night.
I was thinking about Mr. Baxter a lot yesterday and wondered how things went for him at D23.

Absolutely epic interview and done with precise commentary regarding the difference between the 'correct' and 'incorrect' way to apply new tech gimmicks to today's attractions in the Parks. SPOT on precise. Beautifully expressed.

Just wow. I am delighted beyond words.

God i love listening to this man talk. I need to spend more time listening to him.

Wish Disney would....as a whole....but ...well....yeah, about that.....

HMF

In Insidethemagic's video of the Hatbox ghost they have 2 imagineers around my age who really have no clue what they are talking about and don't seem all that knowledgeable or even care enough about the Hatbox ghost.

They can't even answer the questions properly. Ricky asks what makes the hatbox ghost such an iconic and enduring figure and there like "uh well I mean its a classic ghost right!" and there were other imagineers that I saw there were like "yea you know its all about bringing that disney magic so guests can have magical experiences at our parks".
"It's just my job. Why should I actually care about it" seems to be the impression given by modern WDI. People all over the world dream of working at WDI and they act like it's just another job on the resume.

I am such a fan of this man. His comments dig right to the heart of the current movement in the parks. We would go to DL or WDW to get lost in our imagination, to fall into stories, to experience wonder, and to be touched emotionally. Now we have schedules to follow while at the parks, that is, if we want to experience the most popular attractions. Don't get me wrong, there is always something do or see. However, the value of the experience cannot overcome the expense of admission.

Anywho, if you guys haven't heard his interview on the Season Pass podcast, omg please do! Amazing!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom