Tomorrowland new entrance

George Lucas on a Bench

Also, let's just appreciate the remarkable charm of the aborted Rocket Rods entrance, a two lane road shooting off into the distance, presumably into the future. The Road to Tomorrow!

20201016_150810.jpg

TP2000

Changing out the rocks for the white oval flowerbeds really highlights how out of place the Astro Orbiter truly is.

Yes. And that was the official artwork where they tried to shade it in its most flattering light and color tone. The reality will be more glaringly mismatched.

The buildings behind it aren't helpful either; the 1998 Rocket Rods marquee repurposed for Buzz Lightyear, and the 1998 Star Tours marquee, that are both brown and bronze and coated in steampunkish goo-gaws that are not sleek or smooth a la' 1967.

The tailfin panels that jut up in front of the 1998 marquees, the old Bell System building on the left and the Monsanto building on the right, work fine now that they've been repainted silver. And they were designed specifically to incorporate into the 1967 aesthetic, so of course they'd still work.

But it's the whole rest of the entry that just messes it all up, most notably the Astro Orbiter that has absolutely nothing to do aesthetically with Tomorrowland 1967 or any mid-century modern design. Again, I'm afraid WDI is trying to fix a cheap mistake from 1998 by simply making another cheap mistake in 2020. Why?!?

They're never going to get this back, so why try some weird and wimpy half-butt version of it?

8-1967-_14.jpg

George Lucas on a Bench

Yes. And that was the official artwork where they tried to shade it in its most flattering light and color tone. The reality will be more glaring.

The buildings behind it aren't helpful either; the 1998 Rocket Rods marquee repurposed for Buzz Lightyear, and the 1998 Star Tours marquee, that are both brown and bronze and coated in steampunkish goo-gaws that are not sleek or smooth a la' 1967.

The tailfin panels that jut up in front of the 1998 marquees, the old Bell System building on the left and the Monsanto building on the right, work fine now that they've been repainted silver. And they were designed specifically to incorporate into the 1967 aesthetic, so of course they'd still work.

But it's the whole rest of the entry that just messes it all up, most notably the Astro Orbiter that has absolutely nothing to do aesthetically with Tomorrowland 1967 or any mid-century modern design. Again, I'm afraid WDI is trying to fix a cheap mistake from 1998 by simply making another cheap mistake in 2020. Why?!?

They're never going to get this back, so why try some weird and wimpy half-butt version of it?

8-1967-_14.jpg

That looks good. I think the main reason I don't like the new ovals with little pointy things that they put in your sandwich is because they're dinky and just look slapped in there. They don't blend in at all whereas this perfectly arranged entrance looks consistent, practical and pleasant.

Old Tomorrowland was dated, but it still works more or less in this appearance. Clean public transit on elevated trackway, nice silvery and white futuristic aesthetics, palm trees to signify that the ideal future would be located in a pleasant warm climate and a big American flag to remind everyone that America is better than everywhere.

OCR-L-DIS-TOMORROW-0902-FEATURED-1.jpg

I can see why people didn't like this redone version looking at it side by side. The 1998-2020 entrance looks like a junkyard. I liked the rocks and their vague similarity to the Vasquez Rocks famous for appearing in Star Trek sort of fits, but it's most certainly a huge disaster that I can't really defend.

Last edited:

mickEblu

Would require creativity, imagination, outside the box thinking, originality, a sense of time and place.

I don’t even have anything against Tron and would welcome it in Disneyland if I thought they would be sure to consider sight lines and make sure its harmonious in the surrounding area ... aka the Troncket Rods.

Sharon&Susan

I really don't know why they wasted money on painting Buzz Lightyear in 2015 when the 2005 colors already looked fine but didn't take off the junk like the giant needle on there.

Disneylover152

I'm not very astute when it comes to color coordination, but for those who are, how could the Orbiter be painted to better fit the surroundings?

1602894239099.png

Hong Kong Disneyland has a very similar designed astro orbiter, with a few different details. I think the color scheme and design of this Astro Orbiter (called the Orbitron with UFOS instead of rockets), would look a lot better.

I'm also too lazy to go back and check and see who posted about the color scheme of the flower beds, but I think the orange flowers should be replaced with a different shade of blue.

J4546

I say relocate stars wars gift shop/darth vader meet greet into galaxys edge, relocate pizza planet to pixar pier and then close both buildings and space mountain. tear it all down and start fresh with an all new space mountain that uses tron/gatg tech with a launch into a large outdoor swooping light up canopy and using ride vehicles that rotate 360 degrees for an all new experience.

Build a new round building around where the old one is but have this one go down a few stories into the ground if possible and make it a museum with rotating exhibits of props and stuff that change out every 3-4 months, giving you someothing new to look at if your a regular visitor. also give it a planetarium. Make new outerspace and nature docs created for the disney planetarium but also put on disney+

Stevek

Yes. And that was the official artwork where they tried to shade it in its most flattering light and color tone. The reality will be more glaringly mismatched.

8-1967-_14.jpg
This. Is. Perfection.

britain

They're never going to get this back, so why try some weird and wimpy half-butt version of it

It’s clearly concept art to simply indicate what the French fry rocks are being replaced with - independent of whether or not it matches the rest of Tomorrowland. It won’t look like this half & half combo for long (or at least that was the intention before Covid).

Last edited:

SuddenStorm

That looks good. I think the main reason I don't like the new ovals with little pointy things that they put in your sandwich is because they're dinky and just look slapped in there. They don't blend in at all whereas this perfectly arranged entrance looks consistent, practical and pleasant.

Old Tomorrowland was dated, but it still works more or less in this appearance. Clean public transit on elevated trackway, nice silvery and white futuristic aesthetics, palm trees to signify that the ideal future would be located in a pleasant warm climate and a big American flag to remind everyone that America is better than everywhere.

View attachment 505869

I can see why people didn't like this redone version looking at it side by side. The 1998-2020 entrance looks like a junkyard. I liked the rocks and their vague similarity to the Vasquez Rocks famous for appearing in Star Trek sort of fits, but it's most certainly a huge disaster that I can't really defend.

It's interesting how closed off and uninviting the congested entrance looks in the recent photo. The '67 entrance was inviting with beautiful landscaping and the Rocket Jets acting as a weenie.

Getting rid of the rocks helps, but the damage won't be fixed until the Astro Orbitor is removed.

TP2000

I only wish the 10 year old me would have truly appreciated that amazing GE corporate sponsor signage weenie. Visible from the hub, that's impressive. Makes those Monsanto and Bell corporate alliance guys look like jerks.

I always chuckle when some youngster complains about a minor Starbucks logo on Main Street.

I'm thinking "You kids would have hated the way Walt ran the place! Giant corporate logos glowing above everything and anything they could get a sponsor for!" 🤣

Disneyland-Monsanto-Ride-Exhibit-1966-Vintage-Poster.jpg

20110314_03_Original_Marquee.jpg

KTPBKYC_6_24_59_N01B.jpg

chadwpalm

In the Parks
No
I always chuckle when some youngster complains about a minor Starbucks logo on Main Street.

I'm thinking "You kids would have hated the way Walt ran the place! Giant corporate logos glowing above everything and anything they could get a sponsor for!" 🤣

Disneyland-Monsanto-Ride-Exhibit-1966-Vintage-Poster.jpg

20110314_03_Original_Marquee.jpg

KTPBKYC_6_24_59_N01B.jpg
General Dynamics is still going strong. A place I worked at a few years back here in the Bay Area makes broadband microwave-frequency components and they are one of the company's larger clients.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom