Tomorrowland Movie

champdisney

This movie is going to be great. Looks like Disney is going to try its hardest to push Tomorrowland into its own brand. I believe Disney is also developing a new series based upon the Tomorrowland Transit Authority for Disney Junior. I also look forward to sequels and possibly with much success we can expect an overhaul to WDW's Tomorrowland that includes Space Mountain.

RScottyL

This movie is going to be great. Looks like Disney is going to try its hardest to push Tomorrowland into its own brand. I believe Disney is also developing a new series based upon the Tomorrowland Transit Authority for Disney Junior. I also look forward to sequels and possibly with much success we can expect an overhaul to WDW's Tomorrowland that includes Space Mountain.

I hope they don't overhaul it much, Tomorrowland is my favorite section at MK!

I love the background music loop they play in that area.

I also love Space Mountain and the TTA!

Some of the other stuff I don't care much for, but I hope they stay away from those!

prberk

I hope they don't overhaul it much, Tomorrowland is my favorite section at MK!

I love the background music loop they play in that area.

I also love Space Mountain and the TTA!

Some of the other stuff I don't care much for, but I hope they stay away from those!

Have you ridden Space Mountain at Disneyland? I think this is the kind of refurb people above are talking about. At Disneyland they took it out of service for a long refurb, that really put it back into its glory. They fixed or got rid of ambient lighting, added sound on the cars (which perfectly complemented the ride and helped take out track noise), and made the ride smoother; all in the same pattern and with the intended effects of the original. It is like a "digitally remastered" version of the original. Over here, though, in the MK, they only did a short refurb, added speakers on the track (instead of in-car), and basically did it on the cheap. That is what people are pointing out when they are looking for a SM refurb -- with love and care, like DlL's, as opposed to on-the-cheap. Not changing the rides as a whole.

As for TTA, please remember that it was originally the People-Mover, and was essentially the same but looked more "futuristic" in white.

So, overall I think the folks looking for Tomorrowland refurbs are looking for more of what you love, not less.

Bairstow

Have you ridden Space Mountain at Disneyland? I think this is the kind of refurb people above are talking about. At Disneyland they took it out of service for a long refurb, that really put it back into its glory. They fixed or got rid of ambient lighting, added sound on the cars (which perfectly complemented the ride and helped take out track noise), and made the ride smoother; all in the same pattern and with the intended effects of the original. It is like a "digitally remastered" version of the original. Over here, though, in the MK, they only did a short refurb, added speakers on the track (instead of in-car), and basically did it on the cheap. That is what people are pointing out when they are looking for a SM refurb -- with love and care, like DlL's, as opposed to on-the-cheap. Not changing the rides as a whole.

They also added some extremely aggressive magnetic trim brakes to the WDW version of Space Mountain, including a set right before the drop on the left track that nearly brings the cars to a halt. This has neutered the ride to such an extent that it's barely fun anymore, especially combined with the poorly-maintained projection effects and halfhearted attempt to add on-ride music. If WDW is unable or unwilling to run the old Arrow tracks at their intended speed I'd rather they rip out the ride hardware altogether and install something newer and more ambitious.

photo110.jpg

prberk

@Bairstow , is that picture our version or the one from Paris? I only see one track up the hill, and the tunnel appears to be outside the frame (like in Paris). Do our two loading tracks merge into one to go through the tunnel and up the hill (and thus for the rest of the ride)? I am not sure what you are calling "the left track". Do you mean at the top of the hill just before the first drop in general?

RScottyL

As for TTA, please remember that it was originally the People-Mover, and was essentially the same but looked more "futuristic" in white.

So, overall I think the folks looking for Tomorrowland refurbs are looking for more of what you love, not less.

Unfortunately, I have not been to Disneyland, but hope to someday!

I am here in Dallas, Texas area, so "almost" right in the middle of Disneyland and WDW!

I would be happy with a refurb of getting more of what I like, not less!

Bairstow

@Bairstow , is that picture our version or the one from Paris? I only see one track up the hill, and the tunnel appears to be outside the frame (like in Paris).

Yep, that's a model of the Eurodisney version.
I was making the point that if they're just going to continue to incrementally ruin the original WDW version, it would be better to rip everything out of the building and start fresh.

Do our two loading tracks merge into one to go through the tunnel and up the hill (and thus for the rest of the ride)? I am not sure what you are calling "the left track". Do you mean at the top of the hill just before the first drop in general?

The "big" (it's only about 16") drop on the left track actually comes fairly late in the ride, as you dive through the helix. You can see it in the bottom quadrant of this construction photo:

4562298-22927584-thumbnail.jpg

SnarkyMonkey

I just started a new thread about the movie, not realizing that this one already existed. I just found out about this movie today and am very excited. I'm not sure how I missed this news. It will get some attention, I'm sure, since it stars George Clooney but I was excited to find out that it also has Hugh Laurie. I love him!

I'm hoping by reviving this thread that we might hear of any new info regarding the film, prior to its May 22 release.

216bruce

It was originally called "1952" and the initial marketing of it revolved around a mysterious box found at Disney with a variety of "stuff" in it. Everything from pics of Walt with Amelia Earhart to old copies of "Amazing Stories" magazine and prototypes of rocket nozzles and other things that tied it somewhat to a rather intricate and long past. There was also a scavenger hunt at DL, filming in vintage 60's dress at the COP and a tie-in to the 1964 World's Fair. Pretty cool. Here's a link for the original "box of stuff" and an accompanying article.http://insidemovies.ew.com/2013/01/28/disneys-1952-is-tomorrowland/

Oh yeah, it was originally slated for release last month. Now it's sandwiched in between a Marvel release of Avengers 2 (two weeks earlier) and Pixar's "Inside Out". I don't know why this happened but it'll get lost in the Avengers dust.

Last edited:

SnarkyMonkey

Yes, I don't imagine it will be a blockbuster but Disney and sci-fi geeks will love it....which is all that matters to me.

It sounds very cool. Thank you for the link. I wish I could get a better view of the photo with Walt and Amelia.

ETA: Wait. I found it here!
Walt%2526AmeliaOpt2+FINAL+%25281%2529.png

216bruce

It was shown that the Walt and Amelia pic was a Photoshop. I saw that somewhere, but it does make you wonder what the connection of Walt to the movie, let alone Amelia is.

SnarkyMonkey

One of the photographs shown to the audience was a faked April 1945 photograph of Walt Disney and Amelia Earhart. For the curious: the photo was actually an altered version of a photo of Earhart and screen legend Cory Grant taken on the set of the 1935 film Wings in the Dark
from http://thesocialmouse.com/2013/08/10/tomorrowland-app-offers-peek-into-mysterious-1952-collection/

Here's the original pic:
cary+grant+and+amelia+earhart.jpg

Yes, it does make you wonder how Walt fits into the film. It's very exciting.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom