News Tomorrowland love

Kman101

America Sings, Adventure Through Inner Space and the Submarine Voyage were never part of WDW's Tomorrowland....and the idea of being shrunk down to the size of an atom was very futuristic as that "Science" was and is still futuristic fiction... I will agree with If You Had Wings/Dreamflight and COP...a bigger offender in my mind is Stitch which is not futuristic really, and Monsters Inc....which would be great in an expanded Pixarland at the studios... but not in Tomorrowland.

Agreed. But to be fair, it's still always been fairly loose in terms of theme and tying all the attractions together. I actually don't think they care at this point. They haven't for a long time. They rushed to get in Stitch because people were unable to comprehend that Alien Encounter was a scary attraction that your precious child shouldn't be taken into (I know that's hard to grasp at Kiddie Kingdom but not everything used to be geared towards toddlers). Monsters Inc. isn't bad at all but it's in the wrong land. Would have benefitted DHS so much more.

Neither fits.

The other problem is I think the "powers that be" don't "get" lands like Tomorrowland or Future World. They likely see Tomorrowland as a "Sci Fi City" type land, where, like Fantasyland, they can throw in whatever they deem to fit that. If that's the case, call it what it really is, same for Future World. It's a shame they don't get it and don't try to.

TRON would have been better for Epcot, personally, instead of a Guardians coaster. Tomorrowland doesn't need another coaster (even though I have no problem with TRON itself coming) and they've seemed desperate for years to get a coaster into Epcot for some reason. Guardians could have been given a dark ride in the Energy building if they truly desired them to have a presence. Heck, they could have slapped Guardians into Rock 'n' Roller Coaster ("Awesome Mix Coaster" anyone?) and the average fans would be tripping over themselves in excitement.

I'm rambling ... but it's a shame they don't get it and they don't try to. I don't mind certain IPs but it's hard to 'defend' the use of an IP when they often get it wrong (like Flights of Wonder into UP; it didn't need to be "look Russell and Dug!!!" it could have been a much better show integrating them).

Kman101

Ugh. Buzz needs to GO. Way beyond its’ expiration date. Either give us a fabulous refurbishment that knocks blows us all away or get something new in there.

I've wanted this for SUCH a long time. I know people love shooter rides but I think they're vastly overrated (to each their own and all, of course). I wish Ant Man could have been used, but it seems Marvel doesn't want cloning of the attractions for the most part.

I know many will gripe but Marvel could easily be used in Disneyland's Tomorrowland. Put Ant Man where Buzz is and put Iron Man or Big Hero 6 in Star Tours. Remove the peoplemover track and the ugly rocks and relocate Astro back to where it belongs. You could even pay a nod to the original look of Tomorrowland with the refresh. But I know many other things come into play with decisions.

gamblepsu

I kind of feel the same way, but apparently it still brings in the crowds. As long as it continues to eat people, I feel like it's here to stay. I was never really a fan of it, though, so I'm probably the wrong person to want it gone. I still miss If You Had Wings. :)
You liked that commercial?... i mean attraction. :p

Rodan75

I've wanted this for SUCH a long time. I know people love shooter rides but I think they're vastly overrated (to each their own and all, of course). I wish Ant Man could have been used, but it seems Marvel doesn't want cloning of the attractions for the most part.

I know many will gripe but Marvel could easily be used in Disneyland's Tomorrowland. Put Ant Man where Buzz is and put Iron Man or Big Hero 6 in Star Tours. Remove the peoplemover track and the ugly rocks and relocate Astro back to where it belongs. You could even pay a nod to the original look of Tomorrowland with the refresh. But I know many other things come into play with decisions.

I want to like Buzz far more than I do. I think it is a cute application of the IP and is fun. But I'm grossed out by the queue and nearly everything about the ride feels like it needs to be updated or cleaned and painted. It is the least 'Disney feeling' WDW attraction at this moment for me.

AKL2003

Ugh. Buzz needs to GO. Way beyond its’ expiration date. Either give us a fabulous refurbishment that knocks blows us all away or get something new in there.
While I 100% agree, at this point I would settle for an extremely thorough cleaning, new vehicles (with way less annoying guns)and paint...ill take the new attraction in the Stitch building...

Bocabear

While I 100% agree, at this point I would settle for an extremely thorough cleaning, new vehicles (with way less annoying guns)and paint...ill take the new attraction in the Stitch building...
While I am not a huge Buzz fan, it is a cute attraction, nicely done, but needs a lot of maintenance... It is time to clean it up and plus the effects ...concemtrate the budget on the Stitch replacement and peoplemover enhancements

rle4lunch

Buzz feels like you should bathe in bleach immidiately afterwards. Cheap, oily, but undeniably fun. There's a reason it's maintained it's large wait times over the years - though the lack of capacity (total or hourly) increase at MK does have an effect.

They're probably not doing anything to it for a reason....

geekza

You liked that commercial?... i mean attraction. :p
Touché! Yeah, it was full of Eastern Airlines, but it was still really enjoyable. The speed tunnel was a favorite as a kid. You have to remember that corporate sponsorship was how Disney got funding to build attractions back then, so most major attractions had some kind of branding. Even the beloved Space Mountain never let you forget it was partially paid for by RCA! :)

wdwgreek

Also expanding the width of the walkway by the entrance of Tomorrowland in DL wouldn't be the worse thing, its an awful bottleneck.

Kman101

Also expanding the width of the walkway by the entrance of Tomorrowland in DL wouldn't be the worse thing, its an awful bottleneck.

Yes it is. Disneyland unfortunately has several bottlenecks. They seem to be trying to address some of this but I don't think they're doing enough and I think they're foolish to be adding FP to certain attractions like Pirates that will only make the congestion worse. (They also seem to be slipping, they have a lot of cosmetic issues over the park and I feel like they're not exactly giving their best at the moment)

MrPromey

I kind of feel the same way, but apparently it still brings in the crowds. As long as it continues to eat people, I feel like it's here to stay. I was never really a fan of it, though, so I'm probably the wrong person to want it gone. I still miss If You Had Wings. :)

When they finally get around to upgrading the "aluminum foil" volcanos in our version of Peter Pan's flight, we can talk about updating SRS. Until then, just like with PPF, we can marvel at the standby wait times.

Kman101

Would Buzz be anywhere near as popular if it weren't a shooter ride? I don't quite begrudge it, I give it more of a pass than Midway Mania, but it's entire queue is downright gross and it's time for a massive update. I want to like it more than I do (like Rodan). I just feel it's "time" for something new. But there are certainly other priorities that need to happen first.

gamblepsu

Touché! Yeah, it was full of Eastern Airlines, but it was still really enjoyable. The speed tunnel was a favorite as a kid. You have to remember that corporate sponsorship was how Disney got funding to build attractions back then, so most major attractions had some kind of branding. Even the beloved Space Mountain never let you forget it was partially paid for by RCA! :)
Yes but that one was so commercialized it was free during the ticket book era

prberk

I had forgotten the speed tunnel. That was cool. A simple effect of riding slowly through a movie that made it look like you were flying. (The Great Movie Ride at one time had something of the same effect in part of the very end -- not flying but moving with a movie making your motion seem more.)

As far as I know the Buzz Lightyear attraction is on the same track (or at least the same layout) as "If You Had Wings." I believe it is on the same course but with cars that spin and have shooters attached. Someone can verify that for us maybe.

But that would be why the attraction continues without a major refurb. It would be difficult to do something with the same throughput in that space without a complete demo.

geekza

As far as I know the Buzz Lightyear attraction is on the same track (or at least the same layout) as "If You Had Wings." I believe it is on the same course but with cars that spin and have shooters attached. Someone can verify that for us maybe.
It is. They kept the Omnimover track and then just added the new cars and scenery. Honestly, for its time, it was an ingenious refit of an existing space and ride track. Even the prior Dreamflight, though similar in tone to IYHW, was a pretty good ride with some unique charms of its own.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom