News Tomorrowland love

Mike S

I don't think they are. They just posted a video with a piece from the supposed new BGM. But after using Shazam, I found out that the piece was "Inspector Norse" by Todd Terje. @CarouselOf mentioned to me that the "new BGM" was composed by someone named Richard Myhill.
Glad that wasn't the new BGM. While catchy only two things came to mind while listening to it:

1. 80's pop song

2. Retro video game level

Neither of which scream "Tomorrowland."

Magicart87

HOUSE OF MAGIC Member
Premium Member
Wow. I had no idea how much real estate Speedway takes up. Never rode the slotcars void of themeing... didnt really think about it. Watching that Peoplemover video, especially at night, amplifies the vast empty void this ride occupies. Such a waste. It might be "grandfathered" in as being a classic of WDW but Tomorrowland deserves better.

Goofyernmost

Wow. I had no idea how much real estate Speedway takes up. Never rode the slotcars void of themeing... didnt really think about it. Watching that Peoplemover video, especially at night, amplifies the vast empty void this ride occupies. Such a waste. It might be "grandfathered" in as being a classic of WDW but Tomorrowland deserves better.
No, it doesn't. It is still a viable, high usage attraction for kids who's tomorrow will be driving. Now perhaps replace the cars with electric power and sound effects and you have my support, but, can we see past ourselves and our "grown up" desires and let the kids have something that is theirs alone. Yes, I spent many a boring hour riding along with my young girls who were having the best time of their lives. It is something that many generations have had to bring their children to so they could experience the fun that they themselves once enjoyed. I have watched my children bring their children and partake in the ride of boredom with them. It is a tradition. Hands off the Speedway, it has a very important function even if grownups cannot see it.

Daveeeeed

No, it doesn't. It is still a viable, high usage attraction for kids who's tomorrow will be driving. Now perhaps replace the cars with electric power and sound effects and you have my support, but, can we see past ourselves and our "grown up" desires and let the kids have something that is theirs alone. Yes, I spent many a boring hour riding along with my young girls who were having the best time of their lives. It is something that many generations have had to bring their children to so they could experience the fun that they themselves once enjoyed. I have watched my children bring their children and partake in the ride of boredom with them. It is a tradition. Hands off the Speedway, it has a very important function even if grownups cannot see it.
That's very true, but it needs a major update to make it actually fit thematically in Tomorrowland. Not just trees, and electric cars, but it needs some props and futuristic vehicles and a new facade.

Mike S

The more parks announce its closure, the more I think the one in MK's days are numbered. We now have both Tokyo and Hong Kong getting rid of it. You could always take your family to the local go cart track, same thing.

Rodan75

The more parks announce its closure, the more I think the one in MK's days are numbered. We now have both Tokyo and Hong Kong getting rid of it. You could always take your family to the local go cart track, same thing.

Maybe...but it has something it didn't really have in HK and Tokyo...nostalgia.

Pi on my Cake

In the Parks
Yes
I think the speedway is great for kids and I loved it. But it needs a big update or retheme.

I wouldn't be surprised if it gets replaced. The speedway isn't really a classic and it takes up a ton of space. (Well, I guess it's kind of a classic, but not like teacups or pirates or stuff like that)

Goofyernmost

That's very true, but it needs a major update to make it actually fit thematically in Tomorrowland. Not just trees, and electric cars, but it needs some props and futuristic vehicles and a new facade.
Well, it has been in Tomorrowland or actually closer to the edge of Fantasyland since the place was built. It's kinda late to worry about theming for Tomorrowland now I would think. Besides, until recently it never occurred to me that it wasn't just in Fantasyland and that they just never bothered with blocking it and making it an obvious different land. Still not worth worrying about at this point. People for 42 years have managed to enjoy the MK experience without spending a lot of time dwelling on it's location.

Goofyernmost

I have to disagree with that. These are tracked vehicles, go carts are not. You would have to eliminate all pre-teens to have that be true. These allow smaller kids to do something "grown up" for the first time in their lives. It just seems so selfish of adults to want to take that away from them. I'm sure like everything else it will eventually become history, but, don't kid yourself that there is an alternative. Well, there is one at Dollywood, but, that is as lame as anything I have ever seen, plus you have to go to Dollywood to see it. Hopefully the expected rain will save the park from damage.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Original Poster
I wonder if @CarouselOf is intentionally lying or if he is just misinformed.

I wanna say it's a mix of both, but mostly the former. Then again, he did predict that COP would get it's new signs and he was right...

I think their news is pretty solid. Outside decisions obviously change things afterwards.

Pete C

I have to disagree with that. These are tracked vehicles, go carts are not. You would have to eliminate all pre-teens to have that be true. These allow smaller kids to do something "grown up" for the first time in their lives. It just seems so selfish of adults to want to take that away from them. I'm sure like everything else it will eventually become history, but, don't kid yourself that there is an alternative. Well, there is one at Dollywood, but, that is as lame as anything I have ever seen, plus you have to go to Dollywood to see it. Hopefully the expected rain will save the park from damage.

Exactly, there is nothing else like this out there. It's a timeless classic that will always appeal to kids. Still, I could see a way for Disney to take this ride into the future. Instead of a hard rail under the cars, use trackless technology like Tokyo Pooh to keep the cars in their lane as well as from contacting cars in front of them. Maybe even allow passing where you can switch to an empty lane to pass a slower car. It would be interesting to see what they could do with that technology and this attraction.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
is this really it? I dont like it.

Sorry to disagree, but I like it. Too much of the BGM at Tommorowland and Future World got stuck in the 70's and 80's where 'future music' equaled 'electronic music' and the electronic music of the time was shrill and grating with square sine waves and a lack of depth to the sound.

Now, I'm referring to the orchestration of the instruments, not the melody. If the old nostalgic favorite songs could be re-orchestrated with better electronic sounds with a better timbre, that would be great.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom