TOKYO DISNEYLAND: What Gives?

jrriddle

Not to worry, the number of times I've been "corrected" on something on these boards must numer in the thousands by now!

jrriddle

But I can't imagine what a 3rd park will be like. How can you top DisneySeas?!?
Somehow I don't think it will be Disney's Japanese Adventure.

cherrynegra

Actually, you know what?? Come to think of it, I think there will be another park in Japan. I remember posting that on another site a high level Imagineer answered the rumor of a park in Turkey. He said there was not such thing and that the only parks he was aware of was the park in Hong Kong, another park in Japan, and possible one in Australia and South America. Unless those plans have fallen through.

jrriddle

Reminds me of that rumour awhile back that they wanted to put a park in the middle east.
Anyways, 3rd Tokyo park. It boggles the mind as to what they will come up with...Disneyseas is incredible...I can hardly wait for the rumours to start.

cherrynegra

Am I crazy or wasn't there talk of doing a version of DisneySeas but in the Long Beach area of California?? I remember this was also during the whole Disney's America fiasco. Watching the special on DisneySeas on tv I thought about the plans for Long Beach, and it looked as it they had just transplanted the whole idea and sunk it in Japan instead.

jrriddle

Yup, DisneySeas Longbeach AKA PortDisney.
You can find some information here: http://www.disneyphenom.com/site/California/Westcot/
Jim Hill had some info as well the story was called "California Misadventure".
Apperantly it was supposed to even have a working dock for Disney Cruise Ship. Big glass domes covering all the areas, etc.
The thing I learned recently is that it was quite a bit different from what they ended up building in Tokyo. If you go to the Discussion Boards at Laughing Place and look up Disney Seas under the Heading 3rd Parks. Some guy gives some insight on what Disney presented to the people of Long Beach.
Maybe Tokyo's 3rd park will be a reworking of Westcot (Eastcot?!?).

cloudboy

(reviving a dead post)

One other thing Tokyo Disneyland has...

It is located rather very close to one of, if not the, most populated metropolitan areas of the world. Means people going on vacation have more of their budget to spend at the park, and since it is easier to get to they can go more often and are less influenced by economics.

It would be like putting Disney right next to New York City.

tomm4004

The most bizarre thing I saw at TDS was standing in line for Stormrider one evening outside. They blocked off part of the line until there was a gap. A cleaning crew swooped in like a condor and cleaned up the space - not that there was anything to sweep up. Then they shifted the line and did it again. Amazing.

As for the origin of the park, the Keisei Electric Railway Company owned that piece of land and needed to convert it to cash as they were losing money. They asked Disney to build a park but at the time Disney was embroiled in severe cost overruns for EPCOT and couldn't afford to finance it. Thus, the OLC was born, a combination of Keisei and the Mitsui Real Estate company. Disney designed the park and receives 10 per cent royalties on admissions and 5 per cent on concessions. (From the book The Prince of the Magic Kingdom by Joe Flower, 1991).

As for Paris, it's a publicy traded company, Euro Disneyland SCA, which Disney has a 39 per cent stake in (lowered from 49 per cent after that Arab prince guy rescued them in the mid-90s). The park is managed by Euro Disneyland S.A., a wholly owned Disney company. This management company can only be removed by another company that is also owned by Disney. And that's the simple version (ibid).

I also understand that Hong Kong Disneyland is owned 43 per cent by Disney and 57 per cent by the Hong Kong government.

I was at WDW a couple weeks ago. There were tons of young Japanese women in the parks and by the end of the day they were all weighted down with copious amounts of shopping bags. The Japanese love to shop!

(I should also humbly point out that my two years of practicing to learn Japanese paid off as I rescued two stranded Japanese women who were trying to get back to the All-Stars from the TTC one night about 10pm. They had no clue where to go and couldn't speak English!)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom