Tokyo Dining

mainstreetusa1

Original Poster
Thinking of trying Tokyo Dining on our next trip, as one of the few restaurants we haven't tried in Epcot. Any recommendations appreciated (I'm not a big fan of sushi :( )

challisgal

We sent in 2010 and I'd go back just for the service alone, which was utterly divine. We like to eat early, so happened to get a reservation at opening time and there was a lovely opening ceremony which was charming.

As for the food, we got the tempura and I wouldn't get that again. I was expecting the meat to be fried, but not the vegetables too. It was good, but too much fried for my taste. I'd go again, but would try something else.

MagicMegan

I had the tempura, and loved it.

221858_10150568869570291_552130290_18243403_7321530_n.jpg

chipndale09

This year on our annual disney vacation we had the disney dining plan and were very pleased with our choices of restaurants until...Tokyo Dining!!

Last year we tried Teppano Eddo , food was good but was extrememly loud. We thought Tokyo dining would be more "zen"...wow what a mistake. The minute we received our table, we noticed the constant volume of "loudness" (it made Crystal Palace look like Tea room). Once we sat, the waitress provided us the menus, we said we were in no rush but would like to have a glass a wine and a few beers to digest the menu. The waitress returned with the drinks and then ask if we were ready to order. We said no and to give us some time, 1 minute later she returned. This went back and forth for about 8-10 minutes until we caved and ordered a appetizer (thinking she would leave us alone for a bit and by the way, the appetizer was not part of our dining plan but were willing to pay for). After 2 minutes of receiving our appetizer and she can back asking if we were ready to order the entrees....we explained we would like to enjoy our appetizers. She left...5minutes the waitress came back and Insisted we order our entrees NOW.

This whole ordeal happened in a time span of 20 minutes of sitting down at our table. I understand Disney needs to feed the masses but I would expect to be rushed in the Magic Kingdom, where it is family oriented and geered to get people in and out. But Epcot is a more relaxed atmosphere and adult oriented. I don't get it, on top off it , it is not like we had water and ate the free bread, we order items that were not part of dining plan and were willing to spend more.

phlydude

The goal of any restaurant is to move people through as soon as you can - I can't fault the server in your case - while Epcot is "adult oriented", there are still thousands of people there and there are many reservations and only fixed amount of seats. By you taking more than 45 minutes to eat, you are backing up everyone else in the reservation system, esp. if you are in the 1st seating.

Would it have been better if the server had left you for 20 minutes and never checked on you? Would you have complained that you were ready to order and there was no server to take your order?

Not trying to combat you but want you to see the other side of the coin too!

chipndale09

The goal of any restaurant is to move people through as soon as you can - I can't fault the server in your case - while Epcot is "adult oriented", there are still thousands of people there and there are many reservations and only fixed amount of seats. By you taking more than 45 minutes to eat, you are backing up everyone else in the reservation system, esp. if you are in the 1st seating.

Would it have been better if the server had left you for 20 minutes and never checked on you? Would you have complained that you were ready to order and there was no server to take your order?

Not trying to combat you but want you to see the other side of the coin too!

you have a point and i also am not tryin to combat you but..when we clearly say that we are in no rush and would like to take our time, then I think the point is clear enough. We will signal you when we are ready.

The goal of a restaurant is to ensure you that you have a quality experience NOT to move you along!

If we take more than 45 min to eat that is our perogative, we are on vacation and are in no rush. Don't get me wrong, we do not take our time on purpose. It is not like we are sitting there waiting for the fireworks drinking water, eating free bread, we order apetizers , drinks and extra that are not part of meal plan and Disney is making their money off of us ( and we do not mind spending).

I do not want to sound like the arrogant, money spending, don't care who you are, thurnsten howell III, but in the day in age where customer service should be a company's priority. In our opinion Tokyo Dining lacked this concept, from the hostess (who was far from friendly), the pushy waitress and the manager pushing his staff in front of customers.

However, for all we know it could have been an off day for Tokyo dining, but first impressions last! Was it a terrible experience ..NO , would we go back..probably not

Texas84

Service was great when I went. The waitress let me practice my Japanese with her. When I left she brought me a small origami with Japanese greetings on it in kana. That was one meal I will not forget.

DizneyPryncess

Tokyo Dining is somewhere we go every trip, DH & I love it there and we've always been able to walk up without an ADR. For us, the service has always been amazing. The servers have been extremely inviting & pleasant to us. Last year we told our server we were expecting our first baby, and she brought us out this little surprise dessert after lunch. It was really sweet & unexpected.

As far as the food goes, we love the vegetable tempura. It's pretty much the main reason we go there. We get that & a bowl of edamame. Usually we just get a bunch of things & share them. I'm sorry to hear other have had bad experiences there, and that happens. I would give it a shot though. :)

worldfanatic

I've found Tokyo Dining to have the best service at any theme park throughout WDW. There is something to be said about the Japanese touch.
They've always been very attentive, didn't rush us (which is rare when eating within the parks), and the food is great.
Love the Tempura!

One suggestion, go for dinner, the atmosphere works much better in darker conditions. We just didn't get the same feeling when we went for lunch.

It's a great place! My favorite Epcot restaurant!

bethymouse

Aren't most all Disney restaurants loud?

We ate @ Tepan Edo, and had a lovely time! The waitresses were especially accommodating! Had enough green tea to float home!:)

The only issue we had was the changing of the chefs, and somehow our table was forgotten!:( But, we were well compensated and enjoyed every moment! My husband liked the steak the best, and commented that it was even more tender than Le Cellier!:wave:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom