Pre-Trip Together 10 years... first vacation!

The Backstory:
My Darling Husband and I have been together for 10 years, but have never actually taken a real vacation. We've gone places for weddings or to visit very sick family members, or to attend funerals, but haven't ever had the time or money to intentionally go on vacation.

This year, I got a raise, and an opportunity to take on some extra part time work, and we decided that instead instead of the practical things we always do with money...we would go on vacation. A real vacation. A vacation to Walt Disney World.

Going to Walt Disney World has always been on my bucket list to do with my son, but I never thought it would really happen. We kept a change jar and labeled it "Disney Money". From when he was in Diapers, he'd drop change in the jar. When he was three, we started returning bottles and cans, and all the change would go into Disney money. Two years ago, we moved to a nicer neighborhood, and bought a house. About a year ago he started getting more vocal about wanting to go, and wanting to check on how much we had saved. I wanted to plan it out for when he would be old enough to remember the trip, but young enough to have it still feel magical. Over the past year, we've all busted tail, and saved money, reminding each other to pack lunches, and choosing dinner at home instead of going out...so now, we are less than 30 days away from our trip and I am SO VERY EXCITED! Husband was last at WDW when he was 10, I went with a colleague in 2005, and as a kid when I was 10, and when I was maybe...6? I am so excited. Yes, we are going in August, yes it is going to be hot, but I am an administrator at a school, so this was really when I could take off.

The trip:
August 13-18, 2017

The Plan:
August 13
Wake up excited at 2am, 4am, 5am. Fall back asleep. Kiddo will bust in excited about 15 minutes after when ever it is I actually fall asleep.
Drive to train. Realize we forget something. Drive back home. (Lather, rinse, repeat). Train to airport
Flying from to Orlando, arriving 7pm
Magical Express to All Star Sports
Hotel Room dance party that we Finally Made It. Cue Tears. Remember whatever the actual thing is that we forgot, not care because we Finally Made It.

We will have clothes packed in carry on, so that we don't have to worry about when luggage arrives.
We also ordered food from gardengrocer.com

August 14
Get up EARLY. Locate coffee.
Bus to Hollywood Studios for 8 am breakfast reservation solely for purpose of getting in early to get signed up for Jedi Training.
Other fast passes, etc, but really its all about Jedi Training. Great Movie Ride will be closed, and we'll see what else will be under construction!
monday detail.jpg

August 15 - Magic Kingdom.
Kiddo requested Pirates League -- apparently kids at school have done it and it is So Cool. We got a reservation for 9am, which happened after I made this, so we'll be at Pirate's League, and then see where we are at! I had originally thought we would do Mine Train then, but we got a FP for later in the day!
Tuesday detail.jpg

August 16 - Epcot - aka, why I got into education in the first place. I became an English as a Second Language teacher because I wanted to travel the world, and I wanted to travel the world because I had seen it at Epcot. I'm looking forward to getting my moment of nostalgia before they change more of it and do the updates. Lunch reservation at Garden Grill. Energy adventure will be closed, as they are renovating for Guardians of the Galaxy. Hopefully Mission Space will open up!!!
Wednesday detail.jpg

August 17 - Animal Kingdom, then maybe a water park or back to Magic Kingdom
Thursday detail.jpg

August 18 - No idea. We could go anywhere. Our flight is at 5, so we likely need to be back at hotel by...2 ish, so leaving parks by...noon? 1 ish?

Basically, the one thing I want to happen is for kiddo to get to do Jedi Training, and to get to show him Magic Kingdom and Epcot. Everything else is gravy, a bonus. I am just so thankful for the abundance in our lives. I'm trying to plan enough that I don't feel like I'm making a bad decision/feel not prepared. I'm also trying to leave enough flex so it can be fun. But...I've never been on vacation. I usually work weekends, and check email in the middle of the night. And, I'm going to take work email off my phone while I'm at Disney. Whaaaaaat?!!? I've been practicing by doing less work on weekends, and taking one-off vacation days mid-week -- and seeing that nothing explodes while I'm gone! We recently hired some amazingly brilliant people, so I have been able to relax more.

So... what do you think?
Any tips from other workaholics for how to actually Be on Vacation?
Thoughts on how to take a first vacation?
How do you get into vacation mode and get into that mindset - or is this just a very NY'er kind of problem?

12in12

Your trip sounds wonderful! I think it is a great idea to not check email etc. while on vacation. Not only will you be able to relax more but your son will see that family time is a priority for you. Being in the bubble and focusing on the here and now will make a big difference for all three of you, how much you will enjoy your trip and how you will remember it.

Qwertypurple

Original Poster
Your trip sounds wonderful! I think it is a great idea to not check email etc. while on vacation. Not only will you be able to relax more but your son will see that family time is a priority for you. Being in the bubble and focusing on the here and now will make a big difference for all three of you, how much you will enjoy your trip and how you will remember it.
Thank you! I so appreciate the feedback! Focusing on the here and now is the thing I am working on. I can't wait to be in the magic!

Qwertypurple

Original Poster
Sounds like a great trip! Of all the places in the world, WDW is one of the easiest places to forget about the outside world/work and relax in the magic! And if anything, you'll be too tired to wake in the middle of the night to answer your emails anyway ;)
Hahahah! That is so true! I am reading about how many miles people walk, and I definitely think I will zonk right out!

Zipadeelady

I remember our first trip. It was my favorite trip so far. It was amazing, Seeing the kids' faces light up every time we turned a corner was worth every penny. Sometimes it was hard to slow down because you just want to try to do it all. Make sure you stop and look around and soak it all in. That would be my advise, don't try to do it all, leave some things for your next trip because there will be a next trip. Your going to get sucked in like the rest of us. I'm so excited for you and I hope you post about your trip when you get back.

R W B

Biggest tip, don't get upset if things don't go according to your schedule. While that is an impressive schedule that you made, a lot can and will take longer than expected. Just go with the flow, this is vacation, not work. Keep that in mind and have a great time.

Qwertypurple

Original Poster
Make sure you stop and look around and soak it all in. That would be my advise, don't try to do it all, leave some things for your next trip because there will be a next trip.
THANK YOU! This is so reassuring. There will be a next trip...there will be a next trip. It isn't the "trip" that is tripping me up :) It's all that it represents. I think if I can keep that in mind, I'll be ok. Naming it is helping. I'm realizing "hey, if I put this level of pressure on A. Trip... it's not going to work out. I recently purchased a little $3 charm that says "Let go". I think that (And Elsa's Let it Go...will be my mantra this trip!). In other news, my son got bonked on the head at camp, and needed stitches...which whipped my priorities right into shape. I left work immediately, told my boss to figure it out and cancel stuff, and that I'd be in contact once he was settled. Kiddo is ok, we are fine, and in the scheme of things, if I get to every thing doesn't really matter. It's the fact that I'm taking a vacation, with my family, in the one place I remember being truly happy as a child.

Biggest tip, don't get upset if things don't go according to your schedule. While that is an impressive schedule that you made, a lot can and will take longer than expected. Just go with the flow, this is vacation, not work. Keep that in mind and have a great time.
Again, I am really impressed by how generous and kind folks are on this board. Thank you so very much for your gentleness. The schedule is more to quiet my brain that I've done the planning. Knowing that I "did the work" helps me calm down and ignore plans...but I know that I have them. I was listening to a Disney planning podcast and the author made a comment like "Don't worry, you aren't getting graded on how well you Do Disney" and I was like holy bananas, that is so right. These comments, and hearing that helped me flick the switch in my brain, and am looking at things that I find fun to do and bring. For example, a friend of a friend who is a cast member gave us a few good tips that calmed me early in the planning process. So, I made him a thank you card themed for the area where he works. It feels good to be "in" the magic.

And...

Our MAGIC BANDS ARRIVED TODAY! Oh my gosh it's real! It's really really real! We have magic bands, with our names on them. And luggage tags...and even though we are three weeks away from leaving...We have our suitcases in the dining room, and have been putting things that we know we want to remember to bring in the suitcases. Like, bandaids, or sunscreen. My family is going to be an expert at finding things in the suitcase by next month.

Again, thank you everyone for bringing the magic, and being so kind. It could be so easy to eye roll or chuckle at yet another neurotic person planning a trip, and I just find your kindness so encouraging.

DisneyPrincess5

Aww I'm so excited for your family!!! Warning: Disconnection from work and full emersion into WDW with the fam may cause severe loss of appetite to return to the reality, extreme happiness, buckets of laughter, well as the dreaded DWD (Disney Withdrawl Depression). :joyfull:

I hope you guys have an absolutely wonderful trip together.

12in12

I leave my suitcase out to throw stuff in as well, it makes packing much easier. I am happy for you and your family that you get to go and experience the magic. Planning a trip is so much fun and with a Disney vacation you can spend hours reading menus and touring tips etc. I think it is great you are mentally preparing to just be in the bubble, I understand it can be hard to switch off but it will be totally worth it.
I am sorry your son had to get stiches, I hope he has recovered.

Qwertypurple

Original Poster
I also called my mom to see if she had any photos of me from when we went to Disney World in the 80s! She's not sure...I was one of five kids, so there wasn't a whole lot of "stop and take pictures", but how cool would it be to find some of those? I remember being frightened of Captain Hook at a character dinner, having a ton of fun on the teacups with my dad, and doing Toad's Wild Ride over and over and over...and flying over London with Peter Pan. I remember waiting on line for the Jungle Cruise, but I don't remember the ride at all -- isn't that funny? I also remember getting lost in Tom Sawyer's caves and getting totally freaked out because I got separated from my family (or, more likely, my older brother just kept darting out of sight and hiding on purpose). I wonder if I have any souvenirs or notes from the trip.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom