To stay longer or not?

luvlifeinfl

Ok, I need to just come to my Disney Family and give a dilema. We are 170 days out, so plenty of time. We already have our accomedations reserved for 11/21-11/28 @ SSR. Over the weekend my DH & I were looking at the rates for the Auto train. Well looking at the rates on returning on Sat or Sun is more than if we waited till 11/30 to return which is a Monday, for us it is not a real big problem we have the time to take off from work, but it is w/ our DD-9 she is already going to miss 3 days from school, so to extend it another 2 days she will miss a total of 5 days. I have not called DVC to see if they will have a room avail for those 2 days, since I am not sure how the school will handle her missing basically a whole wk. My DH said I should be able to ask them for the hm work ahead of time and she could work on it while we are traveling on the train.

Has anyone run into having their DC miss school to take holiday? Also the thought was that the parks might start to clear out over the weekend after Tgiving and we really want to see the x-mas lights and I am afraid that if we leave on Sat we will not get to see much of them.

Last thing is that I told my DH maybe we should go and not come back..:rolleyes:

CAPTAIN HOOK

While the train fare may be chaper if you return on a Monday - how much extra will you have to spend on accomodation, park tickets and food just to save a few dollars on the train ??

I'll bet that the extra outlay for the above is waaaaay more than what you'd spend on the train if you return as per your original schedule. False Economy.

If you decide to go ahead - check that the accomodation is available before you approach your daughters school

Upvote 0

luvlifeinfl

Original Poster
While the train fare may be chaper if you return on a Monday - how much extra will you have to spend on accomodation, park tickets and food just to save a few dollars on the train ??

I'll bet that the extra outlay for the above is waaaaay more than what you'd spend on the train if you return as per your original schedule. False Economy.

If you decide to go ahead - check that the accomodation is available before you approach your daughters school

Since we are DVC members we have the points for the accomodations, so that is no extra expense there. Since we will be staying in a 2bdrm villa we will have the use of a kitchen so cooking in is an option. Also if we added on staying the 2 extra days and 2 add on the DDP would be a -$60.00 difference in cost.

As for the parks we plan a 4 day w/water park & more so we can just decided what parks we would want to go into on what days, but on other days to just tour the other resorts to see the decorations, also throw a day of DTD in there.

So in all we will be going from staying 7 days to 9 days.

Upvote 0

Boray

Our kids (son-10 and daughter-6) have missed a full week of school every year for the past 4 years, for our Disney vacation. Three of the years were around Halloween and one was the week right after Thanksgiving. If your school district doesn't have strict rules or make it difficult to take vacations during school session times, then I say take your child out for 5 days. These family vacations are PRICELESS and will make for wonderful bonding time with your family as well as enduring memories.

We're fortunate that our school district is very accommodating for family vacations during school. Both kids get packets of homework ahead of the vacation and, since we drive we have plenty of time, most of the homework if not all is completed before we even arrive at Disney. It will only get more difficult to take kids out of school for extended periods of time, as they get older. Make the most of their youth.

Besides, the parks are BEAUTIFUL with all of the Christmas decorations...

Upvote 0

luvlifeinfl

Original Poster
Our kids (son-10 and daughter-6) have missed a full week of school every year for the past 4 years, for our Disney vacation. Three of the years were around Halloween and one was the week right after Thanksgiving. If your school district doesn't have strict rules or make it difficult to take vacations during school session times, then I say take your child out for 5 days. These family vacations are PRICELESS and will make for wonderful bonding time with your family as well as enduring memories.

We're fortunate that our school district is very accommodating for family vacations during school. Both kids get packets of homework ahead of the vacation and, since we drive we have plenty of time, most of the homework if not all is completed before we even arrive at Disney. It will only get more difficult to take kids out of school for extended periods of time, as they get older. Make the most of their youth.

Besides, the parks are BEAUTIFUL with all of the Christmas decorations...

Thanks for the response. My DH said our older DD-19 never missed school ( now in college) and that we will ask for a packet of HW for DD-9, also the train trip is 17 hrs for us, so I just called DVC and did it. I booked and added on our 2 days, so a total of 9 days:sohappy::sohappy::sohappy:. I tried to move for SSR villas to the SSR Treehouse villas, they are booked.:(

Upvote 0

KaliSplash

The question of taking children out of school to go to WDW often leads to heated discussions on these boards.

But the question of whether or not to stay longer at WDW never creates a problem, or results in a different answer.

The question of whether to stay longer is always YES!

Hope you have a good trip.

Upvote 0

I_heart_Tigger

My sister and I missed a full week of school for Disney trips every 2nd year of our entire elementary-high school time and both graduated with honours, never failed a course, always had among the highest marks, completed all homework and assignments and never once did we feel like we missed out on anything at school that would warrent us not taking our family vacation.

The vacation memories were definately worth missing some school which can be made up later.

Upvote 0

luvlifeinfl

Original Poster
The question of taking children out of school to go to WDW often leads to heated discussions on these boards.

But the question of whether or not to stay longer at WDW never creates a problem, or results in a different answer.

The question of whether to stay longer is always YES!

Hope you have a good trip.

Thanks, like I stated before we never have taken our kids out of school for something like this, we have always wanted till summer break, so I do not think we will make a habit of pulling our DD not for every holiday break that we extended.

Upvote 0

scarpiapiano

I'm someone who would rather not do a WDW vacation unless I can take at least a full week. I'm an "all or nothing" kind of guy. I definately side on the option of taking your little girl out of school and giving your family a couple of extra days. Before I come down on this side I have to ask if your daughter does well in her class? Does she bring home good report cards? Does she have any problem keeping up?

I think she probably won't have any trouble catching up. Kids with concerned parents like yourself tend to do well in school. I also think that she can gleen an amazing amount of education at WDW particularly in Epcot or AK. I say GO FOR IT!!!

Upvote 0

luvlifeinfl

Original Poster
I have to ask if your daughter does well in her class? Does she bring home good report cards? Does she have any problem keeping up?

Epcot or AK. I say GO FOR IT!!![/quote]

Actually my DD- is a Special Education child. She has retention and processing skill difficulty. We have an IEP in place for her and have regular parent/ teacher meetings. But I am finding she is coping better as she is getting older, but also since it is difficult for her, certain assignments she trys to avoid doing, but now reading she has taken off with and excels in.

That is why once the new school yr starts and a few weeks before we go that I would work w/ her teacher on seeing if we can just increase assigments a little and also take assignments with us.

Oh just an FYI, she will be going into the 4th grade.

Upvote 0

scarpiapiano

Actually my DD- is a Special Education child. She has retention and processing skill difficulty. We have an IEP in place for her and have regular parent/ teacher meetings. But I am finding she is coping better as she is getting older, but also since it is difficult for her, certain assignments she trys to avoid doing, but now reading she has taken off with and excels in.

That is why once the new school yr starts and a few weeks before we go that I would work w/ her teacher on seeing if we can just increase assigments a little and also take assignments with us.

I still think she'll do just fine missing a couple more days from school. I hope you all have a wonderful time + 2 days!!

Upvote 0

I_heart_Tigger

It usually depends on the teachers, occasionally I have found that some teachers have the "you miss class, you'll have to catch up on your own" rule but honestly that was pretty rare.

We always had assignments to take with us. My parents made sure we either had a long break mid-day and had to do an assignment before we could swim (usually lunch, homework, swim...helps with that "Mom rule" of waiting 1/2 an hour after eating, before swimming)

Or we got back to the room at a reasonable hour at night and did an assignment before we went to bed.

Just be sure she is comprehending her assignments and not just finishing them as fast as she can to go do fun stuff instead, I'm sure you'll be fine!

Upvote 0

dznygirl64

My kids used to love doing there homework on the plane.The teachers always where very helpfull with home work.Most of the time when they came back they where ahead of the class.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom