To Park Hop or not to Park Hop?

Figaro928

As of right now I have our upcoming February trip planned without the Park Hopper. I keep debating back and forth whether I should add it on.

Here's our details as of right now - 7 days with a 4 year old and 2 year old. We are planning on doing Animal Kingdom one full day and completely skipping HS. We have never done AK more than just a morning so it was my intention on stretching the day out as much as possible and try to make it a full day. We were originally planning on skipping DHS, because again, for us, it is only a half day park.

These are my worries: I'm getting a little nostalgic about HS and since everything is up in the air, I kind of want to go see it before the complete overhaul. I still don't think we could make a full day of it though. Also, the day we are going to AK, it closes I believe at 5, leaving an entire evening open for possibilities. (and that is IF we could make a full day of it)

I'm not sure the park hopper is completely worth the extra $300 as we would only probably use it for two days

ryguy

I would say for your aged kids a hopper is not worth it. If they were older and could stay up later I would say maybe. If you haven't been to Disney in awhile you probably won't hop as much. You can always add it once you get there if you think you need it.

Upvote 0

CAPTAIN HOOK

As long as you're going to be happy doing the attractions and eating in the same park then there's no need to Hop. Consider though, what are you going to do on the AK day if it doesn't stretch into a full day, likewise DHS if nostalgia gets the better of you ?

Upvote 0

Figaro928

Original Poster
It's nice to know that I can add it on when there - THANKS!!

@CAPTAIN HOOK If AK is only a half day we may either resort hop or try mini golf. Depending on the state of DTD, we could always go visit there!

I'm almost hoping by February DHS will be pretty torn up and that would be a big deterrent. We were there September 2013 so this will be my kids second trip. My 4 year daughter knows we are going and keeps saying how excited she is to go see the "big bad dog that gets the bad guy" Yeah... she's talking about the Egyptian statue in the Indy scene of GMR. It's funny what kids remember. I'm really torn because I'm sure once there and overstimulated she wont notice missing the "bad dog" but part of me wants her to see it just because that scene is what Disney to her. anyway.. I guess it'll be a last minute decision!

Upvote 0

Magical Dreamer

I don't think you would find the need for hopping.... We do one park per day and don't feel there's a need to go beyond that.
In consideration of your kids ages and the amount of days your there either save the cash or treat yourselves with some other endulgence.

Upvote 0

MissingDisney

We didn't hop until our kids were much older. It's hard in them and a lot for them to take in. I'd just add an extra day, even if don't stay all day, it's still cheaper than adding hopper and only using it once or twice.

Upvote 0

BrianV

We've always hopped since our first trip with our girls, ages 6 and 4 at the time. We find the convenience worth the cost always. Many years later I still think we have spend the full day in a simgle park maybe once.

Upvote 0

PHS79

Our last trip was my DD (3.5 yo at the time) and DW first trip, every time that I have been to WDW we hopped and last trip was no different. We are early risers so we would be at the parks at rope drop and usually stay until lunch time (11-1 time frame). Then we would go back to the resort to nap, swim, and just plain relax. Then usually sometime in the 3-5 time range we would head off to another park for the evening, then we would stay out until our DD started to give us the signs that it was time to head back to the resort for bedtime. We never pushed her to stay out later, like I saw alot of parents doing, we just looked for the clues or most of the time she just tells us that she is tired and want to go to bed.

We were only at HS for maybe 4 hrs (including breakfast at H&V) the GMR and BLT were both closed, the only things we did was the Muppets 3D, Star Wars, and met Rapunzel. AK was the park we stayed at for the longest stretch of time, we were there until probably 2 maybe 3 pm because there was stuff we wanted to do yet didn't want to take waste the time on the bus going back and forth just to do 1 or 2 more attractions.

Our next trip is Feb 19-28 and we got hoppers again since it worked so well last time and we are planning on using the same game play this trip.

Upvote 0

TXDisney

I always do the park hopper. But I park hop a lot. If you generally stay at just 1 park per day then I wouldn't waste the money. I normally like to end most the nights at Epcot, so regardless of what park I was at during the day I'll park hop to epcot around dinner time. But with kids they get tired as the day goes on, so 1 park per day is prob all they can handle.

Upvote 0

Tinkerbell397

We just returned from a trip with my 20 month old granddaughter. We did 3 days at the MK, 1 at Epcot and 2 at The AK. We did not do HS for obvious reasons. We stayed off site so if you are staying on site plans may not apply. Don't underestimate the AK for very young children. My granddaughter absolutely loved it there. We actually let her experience the park at her own developmental level and we enjoyed the park more than we ever have. She met all the characters and loved them. We ate at Yak and Yeti one day and The Rainforest Cafe the 2nd day....she loved both. We had never taken the Wildlife Express train to Rafiki's Planet Watch....it was wonderful. They have animal care vets and a petting zoo with sheep, goats, cows and pigs. So I guess it is more of a petting farm. You can interact with and brush the animals. She rode the safari 2X and the animals were so close, we could almost touch them. We got to the park both days at opening and left at about 3.
Now...Park Hopping....I agree with everyone else. If the kids were older, I would do it, but they will tire easily and if you push them it will not be pretty.
My granddaughter walked would say at least 95% of the time in the parks...she just wanted to walk. It was slow going but we saw things we had never seen before. The AK is a great park for very young ones as long as you let them explore. Have a Magical Trip! :cat:

Upvote 0

Weather_Lady

No need to invest in park hoppers if you think you'd only use it for a day or two.

Swimming at the pool, having a nice dinner or taking in a dinner show at another resort (e.g., Hoop-de-Doo), and visiting Downtown Disney are great ways to spend extra half-days without going to another park. :)

Upvote 0

BuzzKillington

Since you are doing 7 days which is plenty of time to visit all of the parks, I would say a park hopper is not needed. Moreover, given the age of your kids, you will be lucky to get in 5 hours at any given park (let alone two).

Upvote 0

MickeyMomV

Where are you coming up with $300 from? I thought PH were around $60? If it's just 3 of y'all wouldn't it be less?
I would go with the Hopper. Ariel is correct it should only be about $180. Remember the 2yo does not need their own ticket (3 and under is free). When we go, we break every day up into two parks with a nap or down time inbetween. Maybe hit AK in the morning when the animals are most active and then swing over to HS and visit the Disney Junior area in the afternoon. I don't think you said if your kids are boys or girls but my 2 yo nephew loved seeing Jake and the Neverland Pirates, Doc Mcstuffins, and Sophia the 1st at disney Jr. He even enjoyed Fantasmic up until the Dragon. With the hopper and splitting up the day it gives you so many options. This way you can finish every day at a park that has fireworks (just remember ear plugs if the little ones don't like loud noises) my nephew LOVED THE FIREWORKS!!

Upvote 0

38053WDW

No need to invest in park hoppers if you think you'd only use it for a day or two.

Swimming at the pool, having a nice dinner or taking in a dinner show at another resort (e.g., Hoop-de-Doo), and visiting Downtown Disney are great ways to spend extra half-days without going to another park. :)

Agree

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom