To Disney employees, what is it like to walk through the rides?

Walt Disney1955

Original Poster
Basically I am assuming there are times when a CM has to do a round about check on certain rides, so what is it like to walk through certain rides like Haunted Mansion? Or Pirates? Or Snow White? Would it still be creepy to walk through them all alone or is it just routine?

SirGoofy

Basically I am assuming there are times when a CM has to do a round about check on certain rides, so what is it like to walk through certain rides like Haunted Mansion? Or Pirates? Or Snow White? Would it still be creepy to walk through them all alone or is it just routine?

It's creepier to ride them alone than to walk them, mostly because if there is a walk, it's done with more than one person, in my experience.

SSE is amazing to walk through, especially if you have the time to explore.

Pirates is fun when you're in the scenes, but backstage it's a freaking labyrinth, and a pain to evac.

Wilt Dasney

The only ride I've walked through is ToT. Lots and lots of stairs, and all the floors look the same outside of the show areas.

I remember getting lost during a walkthrough my first week or two on the job, and popping out in the queue before walking back to Tower. (That's the name a lot of attractions have for the control room. Incidentally, it took me a while to figure out the name of the "Tower" position/location really has nothing to do with the name of the attraction, since I wasn't aware other attractions use the same name.)

I wasn't yet familiar enough with the ride's backstage passages to know how to get back quickly, so I took an exit, walked through some high foliage, and wound up somewhere near the outdoor balcony/stairs that overlook the queue and gift shop (offlimits to guests, but still visible). Then I ran back through those guest areas (we weren't open yet).

Anyway, my unexplained absence had freaked out the Tower operator and set back the day's operations, because they couldn't start up any of the ride machinery until every bellhop assigned to walkthroughs was back and accounted for.

TJ (the really creepy guy you see on a lot of the Travel Channel specials) was paging me over the PA in a panicked, desperate voice, telling me to report to Tower immediately. It was pretty embarassing, to be honest. :eek:

It's a huge, complex building and I never came close to mastering it (especially the upstairs levels), but after a while I learned enough to impress other CMs with my ability to pop out onstage in random places. :lol:

TheBeatles

Haunted Mansion is kinda creepy to walk through, but you become overwhelmed by the originality of it.

Great Movie Ride is fun because the gangster and western scene have a lot of little details not visible from the tram.

Tower of Terror was a bit boring, but I didn't have the chance to walk around in any of the scenes except for the part of the queue that is off limits to Guests.

Finding Nemo is pretty dull. The two things that stood out to me was how creepy the KUKA scene is in the light and the leak in the tank near the unload.

EPCOT Explorer

It's creepier to ride them alone than to walk them, mostly because if there is a walk, it's done with more than one person, in my experience.

SSE is amazing to walk through, especially if you have the time to explore.

Pirates is fun when you're in the scenes, but backstage it's a freaking labyrinth, and a pain to evac.

:dazzle::sohappy:

That needs to happen for me one day. :lol:

RiversideBunny

Not as a CM but as guests we went through the Haunted Mansion ride, the normal ride, one night late when there were only about six guests total in the stretching room. That got creepy.

I guess that normally when you are packed in with a lot of other people it makes the ride feel safer but when there are only six or so guests it feels a lot more lonely and creepy.

:)

raven

Finding Nemo is pretty dull. The two things that stood out to me was how creepy the KUKA scene is in the light and the leak in the tank near the unload.

True. Nemo's effects are so simple when you see how they are done in the light.

After hours normal rides for me are Nemo, LWTL, Soarin', JIYI, TT, M:S, SSE, UOE, and Maesltrom.

On a side note, the defunct Cranium Command is very creepy in the dark as Buzzy is still there hanging above your head when you walk in. :eek:

Captain Hank

I've been inside the greenhouse sections of Living with the Land at all sorts of ungodly hours of the early morning and late evening. One time, I had to run into the Tropics dome to grab something late in the evening with all the work and show lights off. All kinds of creepy. Most of the time, though, I was with a bunch of other people doing an early-morning crop pull. Ah, memories--nothing like a banana crop pull at 5:30 in the morning to get the blood pumping. :)

In addition, I've been able to walk through the Haunted Mansion, Spaceship Earth and the Great Movie Ride courtesy of special CM tours. You get a whole different perspective on the experience, and can see all sorts of little things that are easily missed under show conditions.

EpcotServo

^Yeah. Never done a walk through of any ride, but did get to ride through Mansion after hours alone. Nobody in there except the Cast Members. It was great...
:lol: :sohappy:

SirGoofy

^Yeah. Never done a walk through of any ride, but did get to ride through Mansion after hours alone. Nobody in there except the Cast Members. It was great...
:lol: :sohappy:

Mansion alone and SSE alone are creeeeeepy.

Another creepy ride is being the only one on the Jungle boat with all the lights off.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom