Tips to avoid car rental scams

andrelaplume

Original Poster
I am hoping somebody could offer up some things to watch for when renting a car. I made an Expedia rental through Thrifty and got a very nice summary of my expenses which included a $10 per day collision damage waiver. I next joined Thrifty's Blue Chip program and called Thrifty to have my Bluechip number assigned with my reservation number so I can go in the expedited line at sfb. By the way I'd really love to know if there is indeed such a line .They sent me a confirmation. I noticed on the confirmation that it did not include the $10 per day damage waiver option. It did mention costs for these things that were far north of $10 per day. If I get there and they tried to sell me them for more than $10 a day I of course we'll just refuse them. However I also saw something about another charge for renting what we here in Pennsylvania call E-ZPass ... basically an electronic device you keep in your car that allows you go to go through tolls without paying cash. No price was given for renting this thing from thrifty which they say I may be obligated to do if the given roads to get from Sanford to Orlando do not have to toll takers. Has anyone heard of this. Are there toll takers on the road in the booths from Sanford to Orlando. I saw one post on TripAdvisor about a horror story about an exuberant rate for this rental option. The review is not necessarily in Florida .This may cause me to cancel my reservation.

rob0519

Per Thrifty's Website:
**PlatePass
Electronic Tollways mean no cash accepted. Select this option for the perfect solution.
$10.49 Per Day more information plus toll amounts. The last time I was driving in Florida I remember some toll booths having people to take your money, but if there is a toll at an exit or entrance to the tollway they are all now unmanned.

** Oddly, I could not find any prices for the LDW (Loss Damage Waiver). These are typically about $32 a day at Budget out of MCO.

** Additionally, here are typical taxes on a week long sub compact at SFB
CONCESSN RECOV FEE (11.11%)
$27.37
FACILITY CHARGE ($2.00 per day)
$10.00
FLORIDA SURCHARGE ($2.02 per day)
$14.14
STATE TAX (7%)
$16.27
ENERGY SURCHARGE ($1.49)
$1.49
VEHICLE LICENSE FEE (3.8%)
$6.57
Total Estimated Mandatory Charges (USD)
$75.84

Good luck. Hope your rental works out.

Retroman40

The (at least in my mind) best way from SFB to WDW is SR 417 in spite of the brutal tolls. All exits accept electronic tolls. The mainline toll plazas are both manned and have Exact Coin Lanes and the exit to Osceola Pkwy and SR 535/536 have Exact Coin lanes. A few newer exits have no cash options. Here's a thought - visit the Sunpass site and buy a mini transponder in advance. They run about 5 bucks. Set up an account and you are good to go. The only other options (besides being ripped off by a rental agency for tolls) are to avoid toll roads (difficult) or carry a sack of quarters (doable but a pain in the butt).

parkhopper1213

Thanks for bringing up the toll tag scam, its something I was not familiar with. There are 2 others I'd like to bring up. One is the "Loss of Use" charge and the other is the gas charge. Some companies want you to pay extra insurance to cover loss of use. If the car is damaged and must be out of commission to be repaired, the company wants to charge you for the days the car cannot be rented. The fees are steep. Call your insurance company and credit card company to see if they will cover your charges. I learned my credit card company will cover everything but this charge, so I found a credit card company that will. You have to put the rental on that credit card to get the benefit.
The other scam is refilling the car before returning it. Some companies now want you to produce a receipt to show you got gas within a 10 mile radius of the drop off. I don't know why they can't see that the needle is on full. The national news did a story about the Orlando airport and how they are charging 2 to 3 times the going price for gas. Best advice. Fill up at a regular gas station. Then you can top off at the airport gas stations if you need to produce a receipt.
One more thing- take before and after pictures of your car with your cell phone before turning in the car. This way you can prove you didnt damage it.

andrelaplume

Original Poster
I'll never use SUNPASS again and the rest of the east coast uses EZ PASS which I already have so Booo! to FLA.

The real questions are:
1) will they access me a daily tollpass charge no matter what and what do they charge...could not get a straight answer when I called Thrifty...then again the 3 times I called I could barely understand the person I was speaking with.

2) can I get from SFB to WDW along 417 WITHOUT it? I'll bring $10 in quarters if necessary. I just need to know if the option to PAY WITH CASH still exists in this corridor; if booths are unmanned and don't except cash..I am screwed. BTW, what are the tolls...like $6 total...no?

To be honest I am starting to think about cancelling the car. They shoot themselves in the foot with this nonsense...I mean I bought the questionable insurance thru Expdia for $10 a day, I joined their BlueChip...in return they cancel my Expedia and create a new reservation...same base price but without insurance that is now $28 a day...which I will never pay....I don't get the whole thing.

Retroman40

More like 8 bucks and yes there is a cash option between SFB and WDW. There may be more I just never pass, but the only three no cash option interchanges I know are two on the FL Turnpike (Consulate Dr and Kissimmee Park Rd) and the ramp from SB SR-417 to The FL Turnpike North (and they do "toll by plate" with added "admin fees" of course).

You should only get the access charge if you blow off the toll plaza without a Sunpass and rely on the "toll by plate" deals that rental agencies seem to have with the tolling authorities (I don't believe you actually get a physical transponder when you rent a car). I've rented cars in the past and used my own transponder with no issues (Sunpass has a provision to temporarily assign a transponder to a rental car - they just want their toll money and don't care how they get it!).

SFB is kind of out there. Not sure if Uber or Lyft are options or if other types of shuttles operate. I've picked up friends there and regretted the offer (and I live in Kissimmee!). It's a longish boring drive at 11 at night.

andrelaplume

Original Poster
So to summarize, decline the transponder option, take 417 from SFB to WDW, have dollars and change for tolls, there will be either a toll taker or a basket to throw my exact toll change into....there are no unmanned / no cash accepted booths along the way.

Also,since they removed the $10 per day insurance I was purchasing via expedia when they cancelled that reservation and recreated my reservation liked to my Blue Chip number, I will now decline the $28 option.

Is there even a Blue Chip line at Sanford?

Can I even return the car at 6am on 8/27 when I leave or is that another problem?

Thanks all....

Smiley/OCD

I am hoping somebody could offer up some things to watch for when renting a car. I made an Expedia rental through Thrifty and got a very nice summary of my expenses which included a $10 per day collision damage waiver. I next joined Thrifty's Blue Chip program and called Thrifty to have my Bluechip number assigned with my reservation number so I can go in the expedited line at sfb. By the way I'd really love to know if there is indeed such a line .They sent me a confirmation. I noticed on the confirmation that it did not include the $10 per day damage waiver option. It did mention costs for these things that were far north of $10 per day. If I get there and they tried to sell me them for more than $10 a day I of course we'll just refuse them. However I also saw something about another charge for renting what we here in Pennsylvania call E-ZPass ... basically an electronic device you keep in your car that allows you go to go through tolls without paying cash. No price was given for renting this thing from thrifty which they say I may be obligated to do if the given roads to get from Sanford to Orlando do not have to toll takers. Has anyone heard of this. Are there toll takers on the road in the booths from Sanford to Orlando. I saw one post on TripAdvisor about a horror story about an exuberant rate for this rental option. The review is not necessarily in Florida .This may cause me to cancel my reservation.

Hi, If it's already too late to change your rental plans, I offer these tips...First, check your credit cards...we have a Citibank Visa, and those points are transferrable. Between our card and my father's (he NEVER uses the points, so he transferred them to us), we were able to rent a Chevy Tahoe FREE of charge with the points. Check your benefits with your cards, and call them. If a friend or family member has the same card as you, and is willing to transfer the points, FREE RENTAL!!

Also, as far as the extra insurance goes, MOST car insurance policies INCLUDE coverage for a rental car. Check first with your company, and 1 car on your policy MUST have collision to transfer. We have 1 new car with collision, and our insurance company covered the rental for our entire stay. Check with your credit card company as well...many do cover insurance for rental cars (as long as you pay with that card).

As far as the tolls go, just bring a roll of quarters with you, don't get stressed, and next time try to fly into Orlando Int'l. The main road to Disney has 2 tolls that cost about 3 bucks each way, have manned booths and, at the last resort, there are roads (secondary) that are toll free!

Smiley/OCD

I always bring a copy of my proof of insurance just in case._iread reviews of some companies that charge you if you cant provide it

I forgot to add that VERY important piece of information, but we have never been asked for that info. at the desk (Enterprise, Thrifty and Alamo) We always bring it anyway.

Smiley/OCD

Oh, and I forgot about the gas...just fill thre rental up with gas before you drop it off. There's 3 stations on property (Speedway formally Hess) and it's cheaper than paying the rental company.

Much-Pixie-Dust

One fee that some charge is a driver charge. I don't know the exact name of it, but Dollar Car Rental was going to charge me $50 extra dollars to let my husband drive the car. I always book, but he is always the driver. They were also going to charge a lot of other fees that were not in the original reservations (it totaled up to over $200 more dollars for the 5 day rental). I do not recommend using that company due to all of the hidden charges. We also had poor customer service at their MCO counter, as the worker told me that women in this country need to learn their place when I questioned all of the add-on charges. I cancelled ressie then. We are are Enterprise Customers and have never had any issues at any of their locations. As others have said, most insurance policies and cc companies provide coverage.

This may not help you now, as you probably already have airline tickets, but we flew into Tampa and there are no toll roads between TPA or Disney. It's a little longer distance wise, but we actually got to resort quicker than when we fly into MCO. TPA has a much smaller tarmac and much shorter wait time for luggage. It's not as crowded either. Those factors made up a significant time difference for us. Great airport and only waited 5 mins to go through security in the afternoon during the summer when returning home.

EOD K9

Also, don't ever take an upgrade for just a few dollars more per day. They usually do that when they are out of the car class that you booked and have to automatically give you a free upgrade. If you agree to pay, then they now make more money on a car that had to give you for free.
They tried doing that to me a few years ago. I respectfully declined and she tried to pressure me saying it was only twelve dollars more a day. I once again declined. We walked up to the midsize car aisle (this is before we had the twins) and there were none to be found. I had to search for a rep, he looked at my reservation, and told me to move over to the full size car area. He was very nice and apologized that there weren't any of the type we booked. He told us we were lucky that we got a sweet upgrade. So, you mean to tell me that the counter rep didn't know they were out??

DManRightHere

I'll never use SUNPASS again and the rest of the east coast uses EZ PASS which I already have so Booo! to FLA.

The real questions are:
1) will they access me a daily tollpass charge no matter what and what do they charge...could not get a straight answer when I called Thrifty...then again the 3 times I called I could barely understand the person I was speaking with.

2) can I get from SFB to WDW along 417 WITHOUT it? I'll bring $10 in quarters if necessary. I just need to know if the option to PAY WITH CASH still exists in this corridor; if booths are unmanned and don't except cash..I am screwed. BTW, what are the tolls...like $6 total...no?

To be honest I am starting to think about cancelling the car. They shoot themselves in the foot with this nonsense...I mean I bought the questionable insurance thru Expdia for $10 a day, I joined their BlueChip...in return they cancel my Expedia and create a new reservation...same base price but without insurance that is now $28 a day...which I will never pay....I don't get the whole thing.

I think the deal was you were paying expedia for the damage waiver. Who is basically a third party and taking money from the rental car company (if they can get you to pay $28 per day anyways). I just used Discover Credit Card (up to 25k I believe) for my damage waiver, and I checked my my personal insurance which covered me.

patch553

One fee that some charge is a driver charge. I don't know the exact name of it, but Dollar Car Rental was going to charge me $50 extra dollars to let my husband drive the car. I always book, but he is always the driver. They were also going to charge a lot of other fees that were not in the original reservations (it totaled up to over $200 more dollars for the 5 day rental). I do not recommend using that company due to all of the hidden charges. We also had poor customer service at their MCO counter, as the worker told me that women in this country need to learn their place when I questioned all of the add-on charges. I cancelled ressie then. We are are Enterprise Customers and have never had any issues at any of their locations. As others have said, most insurance policies and cc companies provide coverage.

This may not help you now, as you probably already have airline tickets, but we flew into Tampa and there are no toll roads between TPA or Disney. It's a little longer distance wise, but we actually got to resort quicker than when we fly into MCO. TPA has a much smaller tarmac and much shorter wait time for luggage. It's not as crowded either. Those factors made up a significant time difference for us. Great airport and only waited 5 mins to go through security in the afternoon during the summer when returning home.
we also had terrible customer service at mco but with Alamo,they tried and tried to tell us our printed off pre booked details didn't cover anything and we needed to upgrade our insurances. having had a 9 hour flight its safe to say we weren't impressed definitely looking into another rental company for our next trip

thomas998

Thanks for bringing up the toll tag scam, its something I was not familiar with. There are 2 others I'd like to bring up. One is the "Loss of Use" charge and the other is the gas charge. Some companies want you to pay extra insurance to cover loss of use. If the car is damaged and must be out of commission to be repaired, the company wants to charge you for the days the car cannot be rented. The fees are steep. Call your insurance company and credit card company to see if they will cover your charges. I learned my credit card company will cover everything but this charge, so I found a credit card company that will. You have to put the rental on that credit card to get the benefit.
The other scam is refilling the car before returning it. Some companies now want you to produce a receipt to show you got gas within a 10 mile radius of the drop off. I don't know why they can't see that the needle is on full. The national news did a story about the Orlando airport and how they are charging 2 to 3 times the going price for gas. Best advice. Fill up at a regular gas station. Then you can top off at the airport gas stations if you need to produce a receipt.
One more thing- take before and after pictures of your car with your cell phone before turning in the car. This way you can prove you didnt damage it.
I would love to know what credit card company you have that covers the loss of use charge. That is the only thing I am ever concerned with because I know my car insurance and credit card don't cover it.

thomas998

Couple of things to consider when renting a car in Orlando. If you rent it outside the airport you don't have to pay the airport access fee and most rental car companies will not charge you an extra fee if you drop the car off at the airport... If you are staying more than a coupe of days it will usually save you money getting a cab to the off-site rental car office because the cab fare will be less than a weeks worth of fees.

lastly unlike most other travel reservations, there are no fees or charges if you make reservations through the rental car companies website and don't show... this is important because rental car prices are more like airline ticket prices in that they go up and down on a near daily basis so if you continue to check the same rental car company each day over a couple of months period you are likely to see their prices go up or down, when they go down make a new reservation, after you make the new reservation and only after it is confirm cancel the older more expensive one.

If you need a car seat you are usually better off buying one from a walmart and just throwing it away when you leave than renting one from the rental car place, they are extremely overpriced when rented.

Generally if you know your way to Disney from the airport you don't need the electronic toll add on, you can just pay the tolls in cash... But if you are going to use the car and go other places you might consider the add on because we have gotten on some road where you have no option to pay the toll in cash if you get off at a more random exit point.

Always take pictures, NEVER NEVER pick up a car if it is raining on the car you wont be able to see certain types of damage when it is wet, most places will have a place where the car can be viewed without the rain on it, we've had them use a squeegee to dry the car just for that purpose. Also get in the car and look out the windows to make sure there are no cracks from rocks hitting the windshield, there are difficult to see from the outside but usually easy to spot from inside looking out... if you see one make sure they note it on the agreement.

thomas998

we also had terrible customer service at mco but with Alamo,they tried and tried to tell us our printed off pre booked details didn't cover anything and we needed to upgrade our insurances. having had a 9 hour flight its safe to say we weren't impressed definitely looking into another rental company for our next trip
We also had bad experience with Alamo... They are on our never use list because of the horrible customer service.

stillgoofy

We rent a car at MCO a couple times a year and have done so from multiple companies. They always try to sell you extra insurance that you don't need. My regular car policy covers everything I need but they try real hard to upsell it. They also try to sell you on the SunPass which we always decline too. The cost we were offered last time was about $15 per day for the whole rental period. What? There is no way we need to pay $15 in tolls for one day let alone the whole time. While it's true you would need some type of pass for electronic toll booths, there are none of these between the airport and Disney World. Now we did experience the electronic only tolls in the Miami area last time but not in the Orlando area. But there were a couple spots that took coins only with no people manning the booths so take some quarters. Also on the tank of gas, we have never been asked to show the receipt for filling the tank. We always stop on our way out of WDW and fill up at the station on Disney property and when we get to the airport, the tank is still on full so no probs there. The catch on pre-paying to fill up the tank is they will charge you for the whole size of the tank regardless of the how much gas is left in it so you would be seriously over paying. We never, never, never pay any extra fees for the extras they try to push on you. Just firmly say no and be on your way. We've done very well with this 2-3 times a year for many years now.

andrelaplume

Original Poster
Interesting comments I did indeed see that rates fluctuate in fact I was suspicious that Thrifty cancelled my Expedia reservation and created one of their own all be it at the same rate but without the $10 per day Collision thing to simply try to sell me their $28 per day at the airport. I have since we booked on Expedia againand I'm probably going to cancel the Thrifty. Thrifty had said they cancelled my reservation and booked a new one so that I could get the blue chip program they have. However I've since found out that there's no Blue Chip line in Sanford anyway

I was going to take the $10 per day Expedia insurance .it's probably a waste of money but somehow it gives me peace of mind ...I'm not sure why. hopefully if something goes wrong it's going to cover everything. Also another question... must be present proof of insurance when you rent this car because I wasn't planning on taking my insurance card with one.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom