Tips for saving money to go to the world?

disneygurl_94

My family of 5 is planning on on going about January 1-7 2008, and we're trying to come up with ways to save up some money to pay for it. (Keep in mind that my family consists of a 12, 15, 17, and two 40 something year olds.) Thanks for the help!!!:)

tigsmom

My DH has a special account at his credit union and they take a set amount out of each check. We never see the money so we don't really miss it.
We also pool all of our change each week and then roll & cash it in just before we head to the World.
(we are 2 40 somethings, an 18 y/o and a 12 y/o) :wave:

Upvote 0

Nemo14

There's no denying that a Disney trip is expensive. You might try opening a seperate savings account specifically for the trip, then deposit your income tax refunds, rebates, or any other "bonus money' you may have. Also we find that having the money immediatedly deducted from DH's paycheck helps us to save. You can also keeep a seperate caontainer for change - you'd be surprised how fast that can add up...

Upvote 0

natalia1681

When we get our paycheck, we try to round down to the nearest $100. Ex. If our paycheck was for $623, we put would automatically put the $23 into savings. The key word here is try:lol:
I have also heard that if you use a check register for checks and debit transactions, if you round up to the next dollar, then all of your change could be saved that way.

Upvote 0

smk

I vote for saving change. We cashed in some for trip my husband and son took to Vegas last month and we had close to 400 dollars! Only two of us saving, for about a year, with the occasional dipping into. I was quite impressed! We used a coinstar machine BUT I would not do that again because it "cost" us 9% of our savings. In the future I will wrap every last dime and take it to a bank. Good luck! Put out a "Disney Jar" and start saving!

Upvote 0

swimmom

We save a certain amount of money each week, income tax return, Disney Visa rewards, my bunco winnings & all our change. After the holidays, we have been counting our change each week and rounding up to the next 5 i.e. If the change for the week is less 9.25, I add another dollar, if it's 13.50 I add anther 3.00. We're on the home stretch for our spring break trip.

Upvote 0

dreamscometrue

Welcome to the boards. I didn't know whether or not you were aware that you can search the 'forums' and try to find historical threads on your topic of interest. I did a search for 'saving money' and after a minute of browsing, I found this earlier thread from this forum. If you check out this link, you'll find 52 posts on your topic. Hope that all this helps. :)

http://forums.wdwmagic.com/showthread.php?t=72037&highlight=saving+money

Upvote 0

Tinkwings

Pfizered Fairy
Premium Member
In the Parks
No
Also if you are good with paying off your bills everymonth...use your DISNEY VISA ONLY and charge groceries etc...can pay online easily and the points I earn in a year usually pay for all of our food for a week!!!!:sohappy:

Upvote 0

DznyGrlSD

In the Parks
Yes
My tax return goes straight to my Disney-fun.

I also have my Credit Union set aside 10% of my paychecks every 2 weeks into a special account that I never see.

Upvote 0

Dwarful

I second the vote for the Disney Visa card. I use it to pay for just about everything. I keep a little paper in my checkbook so I can note the amount, then at the end of the month I write one check for that amount and pay off the visa bill. But I still earn those points. They really add up when the give the double points.

As far as the extra's just think "Is this worth money away from Disney? If not, don't buy it." You'd be amazed at how much stuff you don't really need!

As far as saving costs on the trip. Contact Pam with Kingdom Konsultants with your dates and she will see to it that you get any discounts available.

Upvote 0

pintraderpayee

My kids ask relatives to give them Disney Dollars for birthdays, holidays, etc. Throughout the 12 months leading up to our next WDW trip, every time I am in a town with a Disney Store, I purchase $100 to $200 in Disney Dollars. Since they can only be spent at Disney Stores or on Disney property, I'm not tempted to spend them until I get to WDW!! The Disney Dollars cover all our souvenirs and food. The rest of our trip is on a payment plan with our youth group tour company in Orlando. My students pay a monthly sum until they reach $400 and then we head out at Easter on a school bus for the 930 mile one way trip!!:sohappy:

72 days until departure for ºoºrlando:hammer:

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom