tips for first time fliers

LesaGirlWalton

Original Poster
Hi All! We are getting pumped, excited and ready for our vacation. I'm hoping for some tips for first time fliers. DH nor I have ever flown so it will be the first time for all 5 of us. Any advice is appreciated!

Nemo14

I love flying!

What airline are you flying and from what airport?
Also, do you have a direct flight?

shoppingnut

Depending on what time your flight is and when it lands, it might be a good idea to have a little something to eat before you go, because when you hit the other end figure on at least an hour before you get anywhere to have something to eat. If you have kids bring some snacks on board and games, coloring books, things to keep them occupied. Also the special earplugs for little ones really do help the pressure of take off and landing. They can be purchase at Walmart.

Kingdom Konsultant

WDWMAGIC Board Sponsor
Premium Member
WDWMAGIC Sponsor
Chewing gum for take off and landing to release the pressure in the ears. If it gets too bad I hold my nose and force the air so that it clears my ears.

Disney does not sell gum, so get it ahead of time for the return trip.

Pam

barnum42

Some people prefer to kick their shoes off once in the air - flying can make your feet swell a little bit, so no shoes can make life a little more comfortable.

Relax, sit back and enjoy being waited on by the cabin crew.

Check on the airline's website if food is being served and if they are charging for it. Bring your own snacks if you do not like what is (or not) being offered.

If there is in-flight entertainment and you have your own set of headphones, bring them. They will be better than the airline ones (be aware, some airlines use different plugs).

If you wish to sleep, you can get expanding foam earplugs to cut out a lot of the noise. If you have a motorbike shop near, get them there as they are much better than the ones they sell at the airport.

softfx.jpg

These are the ones I now use on my bike.

LesaGirlWalton

Original Poster
airport

Nemo14 said:
I love flying!

What airline are you flying and from what airport?
Also, do you have a direct flight?

We are flying direct from Roanoke VA to Orlando Sanford via Allegiant Air. Supposed to depart at 6:00pm and arrive at 7:50pm.

MaryMcMagic

If you have sinus or allergy problems, pick up a bottle of Afrin nasal spray in the burgundy/ maroon box. Give yourself two sprays in each nostril about 1 hour before your flight. I used to hate to fly...the pressure in my ears and sinuses would be nearly unbearable. My ENT recommended this and now I swear by it. No problems whatsoever! It works for children over the age of 2, also. Some times during a long flight (3+ hrs) I would respray about an hour before final descent. If my ears got the slightest bit of pressure, I'd yawn or plug my nose and mouth and breathe really hard to clear my ears again. I've been told some pilots use this trick, too....All I know is that it works!

mousermerf

Account Suspended
There's a great forum called Flyertalk - it's really for more "advanced" flters because they're mostly about how to get and use frequent flyer miles and upgrades to first class, but they overall have great advice.

One thing I picked up on was the "Shoe Carnival" through security. Essentially, if you wear anything but flip-flops you're gonna end up having to have your shoes scanned and walk through the scanner in sock or barefoot. They recommend just shoving your "normal" shoes in your carryon and then wearing the flip-flops through security.

DznyGrlSD

In the Parks
Yes
Flying sucks!!

Now *I* on the otherhand...HATE to fly. I have panic attacks even being in the airport. I had my doctor prescribe me anti-anexiety (sp?) pills so HOPEFULLY they'll calm me down. I LOVE Disney but the whole flying-thing ALMOST (I said almost) keeps me from going.:(

mousermerf

Account Suspended
FA, you might want to hit Flyertalk.com as it helped me with my fear of flying.

Essentially knowing how everything works seems to make it a whole lot better.

barnum42

Fallen Angel said:
Now *I* on the otherhand...HATE to fly. I have panic attacks even being in the airport. I had my doctor prescribe me anti-anexiety (sp?) pills so HOPEFULLY they'll calm me down. I LOVE Disney but the whole flying-thing ALMOST (I said almost) keeps me from going.:(
You could see if your airport has courses for flight phobics. They do them in the UK and from what I have seen they have been very successful

DisneyCruzer

LesaGirlWalton said:
We are flying direct from Roanoke VA to Orlando Sanford via Allegiant Air. Supposed to depart at 6:00pm and arrive at 7:50pm.
That's not a flight - It's just a hop :p

We always take some bottled water or gatorade in those sportsbottles with us. Humidity in the cabin is always very low, which makes you thirsty.

Tim G

Kingdom Konsultant said:
Chewing gum for take off and landing to release the pressure in the ears. If it gets too bad I hold my nose and force the air so that it clears my ears.

Disney does not sell gum, so get it ahead of time for the return trip.

Pam
The only right solutions for your ears are EarPlanes...

GenerationX

DisneyCruzer said:
We always take some bottled water or gatorade in those sportsbottles with us. Humidity in the cabin is always very low, which makes you thirsty.
This is an excellent point. If you don't bring your own, accept any beverages that are offered.

One thing we always do: my three sons love their GameBoys. So, before we go, I'll go to the Game Stop (or some other place that sells used games) and buy six games. In addition to the games they already have, each kid then gets one "new" game to play on the way to WDW and one to play on the way back. I have to carefully hide the three for the return trip, but it's worth it, because it keeps them occupied.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom