Tipping when using dining plan

kniquy

Original Poster
We have a few ADR for a few table service restaurants included in our dining plan. We don't want to have cash on us unless necessary. If you have a credit card linked to your magic band can you just put the tip on the CC associated with the MB?

We are leaving in a couple of weeks and want to plan accordingly with what we should bring for cash. I figured the whole luxury of the magic bands and dining plan is to limit the need to have cash on you.

Weather_Lady

Yes, you can put tips on the MagicBand (really, on whatever credit card is linked to it) -- no worries! We carried a spare credit card with us, just in case, but we've never needed it. The MagicBand always worked for all on-property purchases from any store or restaurant.

Oh, also -- another, ahem, tip: be aware ahead of time that some restaurants (I know Cinderella's Royal Table is one) include a gratuity in the price, and all will add the gratuity to your bill automatically (18% I believe) for parties of 6 or more. (I've read in some guides that all WDW TS restaurants add the gratuity automatically regardless of party size; other sources say no and that it's only automatically added for larger parties; perhaps some recent visitors can clear that up.) Make sure you know ahead of time which places do this, because you may still get a "receipt" to sign with a spot to write in a gratuity, EVEN IF ONE HAS ALREADY BEEN ADDED. Just read the receipts carefully or simply ask your server before you add anything to avoid getting "double-billed."

Last edited:

kniquy

Original Poster
Thanks -- i'm excited to be free of needing to pull out a credit/debit card for everything.

Roakor

if you use the dinning plan at the royal table you don't have to leave a tip, its included with the dinning plan. this is the only restaurant I know of like this. I have not had any place automatically add the gratuity unless you had large parties.

Figaro928

The only cash tips we gave were to the Magical Express bus driver and the bell hops.

I didn't want to put our restaurant tips on my credit card, so before the trip I had gotten a Disney gift card. We put all our tips on the magic band and then before check out, paid off the magic band's balance with that. We left our magically splurge-worthy Disney vacation with a zero balance on the card - a beautiful thing!

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Yes, you can put tips on the MagicBand (really, on whatever credit card is linked to it) -- no worries! We carried a spare credit card with us, just in case, but we've never needed it. The MagicBand always worked for all on-property purchases from any store or restaurant.

Oh, also -- another, ahem, tip: be aware ahead of time that some restaurants (I know Cinderella's Royal Table is one) include a gratuity in the price, and all will add the gratuity to your bill automatically (18% I believe) for parties of 6 or more. (I've read in some guides that all WDW TS restaurants add the gratuity automatically regardless of party size; other sources say no and that it's only automatically added for larger parties; perhaps some recent visitors can clear that up.) Make sure you know ahead of time which places do this, because you may still get a "receipt" to sign with a spot to write in a gratuity, EVEN IF ONE HAS ALREADY BEEN ADDED. Just read the receipts carefully or simply ask your server before you add anything to avoid getting "double-billed."
This is how I understand the tipping on DDP:
  • It is not included in DDP except for Cindy's Table.
  • If you have 6 or more people in your party they will automatically add an 18% gratuity to your bill (TS only)
  • For parties under 6 there is no automatic gratuity added but you are expected to tip based on the actual cost of the food which they will itemize for you on the bill. In other words if you use 4 TS credits for a meal that would have cost $100 you are expected to tip based off of the $100.
  • You can use cash, CC or magic band to pay for the gratuity plus any items not covered by DDP like apps and alcohol.
  • If you get a Tables In Wonderland card instead of DDP they automatically add an 18% gratuity to all bills regardless of party size (20% at V&A's).

Zummi Gummi

Pioneering the Universe Within!
if you use the dinning plan at the royal table you don't have to leave a tip, its included with the dinning plan. this is the only restaurant I know of like this. I have not had any place automatically add the gratuity unless you had large parties.

The Hoop Dee Doo Revue also includes gratuity in the ticket price. I believe the Luau does as well.

righttrack

Yes, indeed the band works. For any cocktails, appetizers or tips. Never a problem, but yes, we always have a backup credit card too, just in case. I find the whole thing to be very convenient and it doesn't make me charge more than I would with the key to the world.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom