• Every day

Votes: 109 75.2%
  • At the end of your stay

Votes: 36 24.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

G00fyDad

That is probably true. I didn't think of that. Thank you for that thought. I have posted this question / concern on several different discussion boards and you are the first one to even give me a plausible answer.

Yeah but it was just a guess. :D I have no idea how these things work but I erred on the side of Disney doing something good. LOL

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
That is probably true. I didn't think of that. Thank you for that thought. I have posted this question / concern on several different discussion boards and you are the first one to even give me a plausible answer.

Here is some plausibility....

People on these boards admit to using the towels to wipe their disgusting . Maybe that practice is leading Disney to replace the towels more often then they'd like to.

disney4life2008

You shouldn't donate to any university because they are a slight step up from an organized criminal outfit. IMO.

LOVE THESE TWO POSTS SO MUCH!!!!

$4 tips for wait staff. Leftover food for housekeeping. Holy Christmas.

I always thought they pooled their tips. Since it's so common to tip only on the last day. I would be curious if they pool and distribute daily, or weekly.

Ugh yes. They are lucky if they get $4. I typically only leave $1. All you are doing is taking my order at most restaurants it is someone else that brings my food. However, do not mess with my ice cold coke. I tend to leave much higher tips for wait staff that do not get an attitude with my addiction to coke (the drink lol).

Ugh yes! Housekeeping are more than welcome to take unopened bags of chips, soda, juice. Sometimes that is more than $5 cash tip.

rob0519

But, if you tip in the morning, there is a good possibility that the person who gets the tip is not the one who cleaned your room the night before...

Basically I leave $5 per room per day every day. I can only leave it in the morning, because that is when they clean the rooms. I can't base it on their schedule. It all balances out in the end I'm sure.

Weather_Lady

Have you notice that no matter if you hang the towels back up or not, you still get new ones??? Disney was one of the first companies to ask guests to reuse towels to help the environment. But recently, the last couple of years, that hasn't been the case. The last time we stayed at the GF, we got new/clean towels everyday even though we hung our towels up nicely. Has Disney changed their environment approach on towels and saving water??????

I don't know! It's true that WDW didn't leave any little cards in the room explaining that intention (like I've seen at other hotels both here and abroad). Our last two stays were at Caribbean Beach Resort and the Villas at Wilderness Lodge. At both places, we did what I've come to assume is a universally-understood practice: we hung our used towels (that we were okay with keeping) back up, and threw any truly soiled items that we wanted to have replaced (e.g., a couple of washcloths and face towels) on the floor. At both resorts (granted, we only had one trash-and-towel visit at VWL, so maybe we just got lucky there) housekeeping seemed to understand our intent, replacing only the items we put on the floor.

Perhaps at the Grand Floridian, they feel they're giving you a more posh experience with daily fresh towels (or maybe housekeeping just isn't uniformly trained on what to replace and when). :)

MotherofaPrincessLover

I don't know! It's true that WDW didn't leave any little cards in the room explaining that intention (like I've seen at other hotels both here and abroad). Our last two stays were at Caribbean Beach Resort and the Villas at Wilderness Lodge. At both places, we did what I've come to assume is a universally-understood practice: we hung our used towels (that we were okay with keeping) back up, and threw any truly soiled items that we wanted to have replaced (e.g., a couple of washcloths and face towels) on the floor. At both resorts (granted, we only had one trash-and-towel visit at VWL, so maybe we just got lucky there) housekeeping seemed to understand our intent, replacing only the items we put on the floor.

Perhaps at the Grand Floridian, they feel they're giving you a more posh experience with daily fresh towels (or maybe housekeeping just isn't uniformly trained on what to replace and when). :)
I've had it at lots of different hotels where I hang my towels up and they're still taken and replaced.

drwadadli

Not the GF had nothing to do with it because it didn't matter if we were at the GF, or Poly or CR or POR. The cards are gone as well. Plus you also stayed at DVC which is totally different.

Weather_Lady

Not the GF had nothing to do with it because it didn't matter if we were at the GF, or Poly or CR or POR. The cards are gone as well. Plus you also stayed at DVC which is totally different.

I did, for one of our stays -- but we saw the same thing during our 7-night stay at Caribbean Beach resort.

Obviously we had different experiences, which was why I suggested that perhaps the Mousekeeping training is not uniform.

Ciara

I tip each day i get service. We usually get service on an every other day kind of schedule. We got quite a few towel animals last time, i want to say one each time. We stayed at POP :)

DisAl

I wish there was a way to tip as a way to appreciate good service **AFTER** the event, instead of before. That's the problem I have with leaving a tip in advance of housekeeping service - Disney hotel, cruise ship, or any other sleeping establishment. I want to be able to reward a person for a good job, not just give them money because they have chosen to work this type of job.

There is something you can to AFTER the event. Every trip we choose our top three or four CMs for the best of whatever. Sometimes it is a server, sometimes another CM. We then write a letter (an email these days) to Disney about these CMs. If there is enough information to identify them (we make a note of the information on their name tag) whatever your write about a CM, good or bad, goes into their personnel folder. We have been told that guest comments often affect future advancement. There is stiff competition to get assigned to the best restaurants, and comments from guests can make the difference. Sometimes the best you can do for CMs you don't see is "the Mousekeeping for room 1234 and POR for the week of 01-10-17 was exceptional" but they can probably figure out who it was.
We tell them if there was something we were not pleased with too. One trip after the "great job" part of my letter I commented on Disney's use of John Wayne toilet paper in the parks. They actually called me about that one!
FYI, we do tip Mousekeeping daily if we are pleased with the service.

DisneyDreamer08

There is something you can to AFTER the event. Every trip we choose our top three or four CMs for the best of whatever. Sometimes it is a server, sometimes another CM. We then write a letter (an email these days) to Disney about these CMs. If there is enough information to identify them (we make a note of the information on their name tag) whatever your write about a CM, good or bad, goes into their personnel folder. We have been told that guest comments often affect future advancement. There is stiff competition to get assigned to the best restaurants, and comments from guests can make the difference. Sometimes the best you can do for CMs you don't see is "the Mousekeeping for room 1234 and POR for the week of 01-10-17 was exceptional" but they can probably figure out who it was.
We tell them if there was something we were not pleased with too. One trip after the "great job" part of my letter I commented on Disney's use of John Wayne toilet paper in the parks. They actually called me about that one!
FYI, we do tip Mousekeeping daily if we are pleased with the service.

This is a great idea and something I will definitely do with my kids next time. I love the idea of looking for the kindness and helpfulness in others. A few years back we had an exceptionally friendly, helpful & attentive server at Hollywood & Vine. We made sure to seek out a manager before we left to let them know. But I like the idea of writing a letter or email. I will have to remember for next time :)

BuddyThomas

It is not the fault of the patron who is already paying for the service in the room rate. If this is an optional service, let me sign up to NOT have them access my room. I would much rather have that than to think I am responsible for subsidizing their income. At $150+ for a Value room and Mousekeeping spending 15 minutes in my room, I think there is more than enough in that $150 to compensate them. It is not MY responsibility to be the employer for Mousekeepers. They have a choice to work there or not. I am tired of being nickel and dimed everywhere.
Good grief. If you are fortunate enough to be able to afford a Disney vacation AND stay on property, then you can afford a couple of dollars a day for the person who scrubs your toilet.

BuddyThomas

By tipping daily, you are giving a tip after the service. I don't tip the after the first night as it's my thought a tip was left the morning before by the guests that checked out. When I get back to the room, it's always been satisfactory, so I leave $5 per room (we always have two) every morning, including checkout. That way if something was not to my satisfaction I can withhold the tip.

I have no problem tipping housekeepers and wait staff. My personal pet peeve however, is the percentage of the bill being used for what I'm expected to tip the waiter/waitress. The wait staff at Napoli's does nothing more than the waitress at our normal Italian restaurant back home. They take our order, bring our food, hopefully refill our drinks, yet because the price of Napoli's is more than double the local restaurant I'm expected to more than double my tip for the same amount of service.
That's the world we live in, though, and the waiters have to give set percentages of their projected tips, based on sales, to bus staff, bartenders, food runners, and sometimes host/hostesses. They don't get the whole tip. Also, they are taxed based on sales with the projection that they are earning in the range of 15% or so. So if you tip the Napoli waiter based on what you would tip at your cheap local Italian, you should probably do quick service at Disney instead. There are scenarios where waiters actually PAY money to wait on people who stiff or tip less than 15%. And I say this with about 10 years of experience.

Last edited:

BuddyThomas

I am with you 100 percent. I hate leaving tips and known for being cheap on that end. In terms of hotels/Disney I never tip. I figure the price of the room includes a tip because i never hear anything about leaving a tip at check in. My mom used to tip mouse keeping in the 90s but they were superb back then. The ones today barely speak (no pun intended).

I have a mindset that I can clean my own room. Same with restaurants, I refuse to leave more than $4 for someone who only brought took my order. I will say, Ohana servers usually get $10 or more from me as they are amazing.
Congratulations- You win Most Despicable Post of the Day

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
This is why I love DCL....because we always came back to these after dinner....

20170410_221434.jpg
20170414_215959.jpg
20170412_224758.jpg

BuddyThomas

There is nothing "fortunate" about being able to afford a Disney vacation. We sacrificed, worked multiple jobs and saved when our income was in the poverty level. I worked my way through school. I have always given my best at any job (yes, I did scrub toilets in one janitorial position and still did my best at that job) and I have advanced in my career. We always save up and pay cash for our vacations, and sometimes that takes more than a year to save. That is not being "fortunate". It is being responsible with money and planning for a vacation. The fact that I can afford a vacation does not mean I should pay someone extra - just because of the job they have. FWIW, I do generously tip for good service. I just don't currently tip housekeeping as there is no way to ensure the person who deserves the tip actually receives the tip.
Bravo. Now that you have clarified that you worked in the service industry yourself and still refuse to tip a few dollars to the person scrubbing your shower and toilets and vacuuming your floor....well....I think that tells us exactly who you are. In your own words. Take a bow.

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
I spent years cleaning up after my darling child, who was and still is a slob. So I gladly leave a few $ daily to thank the poor mousekeeper who has to clean up after her. My side of the room? Neat as a pin. Her side, well, it looks like a hurricane blew through - and I'm being kind. This is a child who threw her folded clean clothes in her dirty laundry basket because she was too lazy to put them away and left a half eaten slice of apple pie in the linen closet...that I found a month later. :eek:

BuddyThomas

Read my post - I never stated I refuse to tip. I stated I don't owe someone extra just because of a job. I stated that I generously tip for good service, just not housekeeping as I currently have no way to reward the person who actually did the work.

I can't believe I let myself get pulled into another tip debate... I'm outta here.
You're correct. You do not owe anyone anything. Not a single thing. That is totally accurate. But when you have worked those jobs yourself, as you have stated, I'm surprised that you wouldn't at least have the slightest bit of empathy and understand how hellish those positions can be, and be open to leaving a couple of bucks. What difference does it make to you? Are you losing out on a Mickey Pop? I don't get it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom