Ticket Expiration

bdinger

I was looking into purchasing tickets for our summer trip to Disney World this year and noticed that the tickets are only good for a limited amount of time. For example, if I buy a 7-day ticket starting on 8/5/2019, it says that the ticket is "Valid any 7 days from Aug 5, 2019 – Aug 14, 2019". This creates a problem for us. We're planning on going for nearly 2 weeks and were planning to split the trip up with some other activities like Kennedy Space Center, Legoland, Typhoon Lagoon, a day of no plans, etc. Our hope was that we would be able to use our ticket up to and including 8/16/2019. We've made a similar trip annually and this has always worked for us in the past without issue. (I believe tickets used to be good for 14 days from first use.) Is this no longer possible? Do we really have to cram our 7 days into Disney's 8/5 - 8/14 window? Is there an alternative ticket with a longer expiration date?

nickys

Premium Member
I was looking into purchasing tickets for our summer trip to Disney World this year and noticed that the tickets are only good for a limited amount of time. For example, if I buy a 7-day ticket starting on 8/5/2019, it says that the ticket is "Valid any 7 days from Aug 5, 2019 – Aug 14, 2019". This creates a problem for us. We're planning on going for nearly 2 weeks and were planning to split the trip up with some other activities like Kennedy Space Center, Legoland, Typhoon Lagoon, a day of no plans, etc. Our hope was that we would be able to use our ticket up to and including 8/16/2019. We've made a similar trip annually and this has always worked for us in the past without issue. (I believe tickets used to be good for 14 days from first use.) Is this no longer possible? Do we really have to cram our 7 days into Disney's 8/5 - 8/14 window? Is there an alternative ticket with a longer expiration date?

Date based tickets were introduced in October of last year.

You can add on the flexible premium which means the tickets are valid for 14 days, as before. There will be an option on the page somewhere, so you can see how much more it will be.

Upvote 0

bdinger

Original Poster
Date based tickets were introduced in October of last year.

You can add on the flexible premium which means the tickets are valid for 14 days, as before. There will be an option on the page somewhere, so you can see how much more it will be.

Thanks for the response! I didn't go far enough into the process to see that flexible date option that extends it to 14 days.

Running the numbers, it looks like it would be cheaper for us to just switch it to an 8-day ticket, even if we don't use the 8th day. The 8-day ticket without the flexible option would get us through the end of our trip.

Upvote 0

nickys

Premium Member
Does anyone know if cast members are telling customers about the expiry date at the time of purchase? Or are we just expected to know?

If you buy online, once you select your ticket and start date, it tells you that your tickets will be valid for “any n days between start-date and mm/dd/yy”.

Upvote 0
If you buy online, once you select your ticket and start date, it tells you that your tickets will be valid for “any n days between start-date and mm/dd/yy”.
Makes sense, we bought at the gate and the CM made no mention of any expiry date so it came as a surprise and caused a bit of a hassle to figure it out.

Upvote 0
That’s not good. Hopefully they were able to sort things.
The funny thing is it didn't even come up - it was my parents' tickets, they bought multi day, I was only going to 1 park so I bought a one day pass. When I went to buy my own, I found out their tickets (when I tried to connect FP) had expired by 2 days and they only used 2 of the 3 days they got. The CM at the disney springs guest services was a tool unfortunately. He tried to charge us an extra $40 to "add" the extra day and made it sound like he was "giving" us a "free" day. He eventually didn't charge us after I complained further that they were not made aware of any expiry.

It's really rare I find myself in these situations...I'm very easy going but I was pretty ed at the time. In any case it got sorted and we had a great time. Looking back though I wish I complained to a supervisor about it. Oh well.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom