Tiana's Bayou Adventure: Disneyland Watch & Discussion

mickEblu

I hope they're retired, and that at least the swamp boys, a geese, and a few of the other iconic ones are preserved in a museum or the archive.

You know, those new AA's for TBA look pretty good ( aside from issues I have like Tiana not looking like Tiana and Louis being fuzzy) and have the state of the art tech and all that but I didn't see one that had the charm of a Swamp Boy. There is so much rich detail on those old Marc Davis designs. For example, the Louis AA looks very simple when compared to the Swamp Boys. With that said, the new AA's obviously have to look the way the characters are designed in the movie. I'm not knocking the work of the imagineers who worked on the TBA AA’s. Im praising the old Marc Davis designs.

Last edited:

Rich T

…There is so much rich detail on those old Marc Davis designs. For example, the Louis AA looks very simple when compared to the Swamp Boys…
To be fair, the designers were tasked with making him look exactly like the animated film character, who is a costume-less alligator. The detail in Louis is in the incredibly fluid motion they’re giving his entire structure. Side by side, while they’re moving, comparing Louis to a Swamp Boy Goose would result in each being impressive in their own way.

But I’d REALLY love to see a comparison of Louis and the Hitchhiking Alligator. 😃

Consumer

I’m surprised nobody’s mentioned how terrifying the Lottie animatronic is.
IMG_2066.jpeg

In the Parks
No
View attachment 777261
Lottie is the modern example of this figure from Little Mermaid:
1712332446119.png

This isn't a good animatronic. Neither is Lottie. She is likely going to rock back and forth with that same expression on her face the entire time.

Consumer

View attachment 777286
This isn't a good animatronic. Neither is Lottie. She is likely going to rock back and forth with that same expression on her face the entire time.
That's the impression I got, as well, but I'm not entirely sure it's fair. For all we know, the mouth could still move and they just didn't showcase that for some reason. Still, if in the end the mouth doesn't move, yeah, it really brings down the animatronic.

I'm fine with minimal motion we see on the Fantasyland dark rides, but putting one of those Snow White models up next to the A-1000 Louis just feels to jarring.

mickEblu

To be fair, the designers were tasked with making him look exactly like the animated film character, who is a costume-less alligator.

To be fair, I mentioned this in the post you quoted. haha

The detail in Louis is in the incredibly fluid motion they’re giving his entire structure. Side by side, while they’re moving, comparing Louis to a Swamp Boy Goose would result in each being impressive in their own way.

But I’d REALLY love to see a comparison of Louis and the Hitchhiking Alligator. 😃

Yeah don't get me wrong. Louis is impressive. Particularly in how natural and precise his motions are. At some point yesterday after seeing all those new TBA AA photos and videos a picture of the Swamp Boy Gators popped up on my feed and it just struck me how rich and beautifully detailed they were in comparison.

Rich T

View attachment 777286
Lottie’s expression is fine, and captures the character 100%. Some of the greatest AAs ever made have one unchanging expression. Most AA characters are “painted” in broad strokes to instantly convey one emotion or story role (as I’m certain you know). The important thing is that they fill the role effectively.

I’ll be very disappointed in the Lottie figure IF her mouth doesn’t move, but if it does and she’s obliviously, hyperactively chattering away as she does in the movie, I will applaud with joy.

That turtle does stink. He stinks in the movie, too, so… mission accomplished? I guess? 😄 Though, personally, I think the entire Mermaid rides stinks.

Rich T

If there's anything in the ride that's half as effective as the vultures in Splash, I'll be shocked. The Burrow's Lament > Vultures > Ominous lift hill > Br'er Rabbit tied up at the top worked incredibly well to create tension and make that 50 foot drop as scary as possible. Which also makes the Zip a Dee Doo Dah pay off way stronger.

View attachment 777374

And here's Louis vs the Marc Davis gaters. It's wonderful that Disney is advertising these as state of the art figures- but in a fast paced musically driven attraction like this, that might not be as important as much as initial detail and impressions and how well they're integrated into the story.

View attachment 777376

View attachment 777372

View attachment 777373
Yes. I love the Louis AA, but I keep thinking it would be more appreciated and effective in an AA stage show… the kind Disney used to be famous for. How long will TBA riders actually see this figure? ESPECIALLY on the rush-through DL version???

We’ll find out soon. But I agree that, on a ride, fluid AA motion is not as important as effective, compelling storytelling.

And I sure hope Disney hasn’t forgotten that it’s not enough to BUILD an impressive AA—Ya have to MAINTAIN it, too.

Fingers crossed.

For everyone saying that the America sings animatronics will be retired, I don’t think Disney would erase them for parts, as I think some of them might have been gutted, some will remain in the Disneyland version, I think someone said that all the Disney world animatronics were destroyed. Correct me if I’m wrong.

TP2000

Just how old are these America Sings AAs?

Off the top of my head without going to Google, I'm 98% positive it was Summer 1974 when America Sings opened. So nearly exactly 50 years old, a half a century. Hardly seems possible, doesn't it?

Would we expect any of the original AA let alone most or all of the parts still be original?

Especially with them 'working' 10 hours a day almost every day of the year?

That's a good question. It's like the old philosophical question... "If you have a hammer that is 100 years old, but you've replaced the wood handle three times and the head twice in the past 100 years, is it really the same hammer?"

I'm no robotics expert, but I would imagine there were a few key support structures that were kept throughout, while moving joints and hydraulic hoses and valves were all replaced 10 times over in the past 50 years. The skins and clothes and feathers and masks and wigs were all likely replaced continually, or at least semi-annually.

Epcot81Fan

View attachment 777261
As least she looks like the character from the movie.

Why is Tiana’s face so wide? It looks nothing like her in the film. Looks like she’s twenty years older and twenty pounds heavier.

One would think the key character looking like the film would have been a priority.

Last edited:

TP2000

As least she looks like the character from the movie.

Why is Tiana’s face so wide? It looks nothing like here in the film. Looks like she’s twenty years older and twenty pounds heavier.

One would think the key character looking like the film would have been a priority.

I've noticed that too. Like throwing a shapeless trench coat over that naughty Jessica Rabbit in Toontown, they seem to have purposely aged up and bulked up Tiana for this new version of herself.

And who exactly is their target demographic for this older/wiser/stouter version of Tiana? 6 year old girls want to be glamorous Princesses, not soccer moms in jodhpurs.

Heck, I'd imagine even soccer moms still like to be around Princesses once in awhile, especially at Disneyland.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom