Tiana's Bayou Adventure: Disneyland Watch & Discussion

CaptinEO

New critters band has been introduced, as well as merchandise reveled. Take You There (Goin' Down the Bayou) will replace How Do You Do as the first song inside.

There we go! A PR thing for the ride that actually talks about the ride and not weird irrelevant back stories.

The WDI head just left last month. I notice a positive shift. More singing and dancing animals and less tragic WW1 back stories please! Keep it up Disney Parks Blog.

Consumer

I do hate how Disney artists are seemingly strictly digital now. Digital art is just not nearly as high of quality of using brushes. Just compare these two pieces of concept art. Marc Davis' work just feels so much higher quality.
1711471025042.png
1711471020854.png

A piece like this is worthy to be hung up on a wall.
1711471128605.png

This, however, not as much.
1711471149850.png

Digital art still requires talent, but ultimately it looks cheaper and lower quality, and that's mostly because it is.

mickEblu

The secret ingredient is musical critters, the band being the first we discover. Sounds like more musical critters to be discovered deeper in the ride and brought along to the party.

oh ok I guess that makes a little more sense. Still kind of odd to be talking about a "secret ingredient" in these blogs when it's more or less what they have showed us in the solitary piece of concept art we've seen. Let alone the fact that it's kind of strange to refer to animals (commonly eaten as food lol) that are supposed to be friends as ingredients. This might be a script change. Either way, its pretty clear the writers aren't that great.

Last edited:

CaptinEO

I do hate how Disney artists are seemingly strictly digital now. Digital art is just not nearly as high of quality of using brushes. Just compare these two pieces of concept art. Marc Davis' work just feels so much higher quality.
View attachment 774932View attachment 774931

View attachment 774933

View attachment 774934

Digital art still requires talent, but ultimately it looks cheaper and lower quality, and that's mostly because it is.
Costs much less to make ugly digital art, and it's sad since this artwork gets interpreted by the people who design and fabricate the ride itself. Yet it does little to inspire anything creatively.

Your examples are full of detail, style, and imagination and these are like little thank you cards.

BrerFoxesBayouAdventure

View attachment 774932View attachment 774931

View attachment 774933

View attachment 774934

The images they used for the character cards feel more like concept art than fully realized renders.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
oh ok I guess that makes a little more sense. Still kind of odd to be talking about a "secret ingredient" in these blogs when it's more or less what they have showed us in the solitary piece of concept art we've seen. Let alone the fact that it's kind of strange to refer to animals (commonly eaten as food lol) that are supposed to be friends as ingredients. This might be a script change. Either way, its pretty clear the writers aren't that great.
And I think that is why they changed this blog post to say "missing ingredient" rather than "secret ingredient".

Rich T

Timoleon saves this band. And he’s not getting a plushie yet!?!?

That concept art of Gritty is… um… borderline yikes. They need to change that pose… expression… something before late night talk shows get a hold of it.

Rich T

oh ok I guess that makes a little more sense. Still kind of odd to be talking about a "secret ingredient" in these blogs when it's more or less what they have showed us in the solitary piece of concept art we've seen. Let alone the fact that it's kind of strange to refer to animals (commonly eaten as food lol) that are supposed to be friends as ingredients. This might be a script change. Either way, it’s pretty clear the writers aren't that great.
I gave up on Disney PR a long time ago.

DavidDL

What's interesting to me is that I had always interpreted this piece of concept art to take place towards the beginning of the ride (just after Slippin' Falls).

Screenshot 2024-03-26 102609.png

But after today's information, I'm starting to think this might actually be a part of the new finale. If the storyline for the ride is to assemble a band using Critters because that's the "missing ingredient" for the Mardi Gras celebration, seeing them altogether would be the pay off. It also seems like an appropriate place to put a Tiana animatronic.

For reference:

Screenshot 2024-03-26 103058.png

I guess we'll find out soon enough. I actually really love the idea of a band being what's been needed this entire time and it one being made of Critters is a wonderful way to keep the attraction feeling right at home in Critter Country, coming off of New Orleans Square. It also makes infinitely more sense to me that we'd be floating along the bayou recruiting Critters to the cause as we pass them, instead of looking out for some kind of special salt or herb or what-have-you, whilst seated in a log.

Over in Frontierland at WDW, though.. I don't know. I hope they do something extra to help the attraction fit thematically to the area because something still feels "off" to me about it in WDW. I guess all they'd really have to do is rename Frontierland into "Rivers of America", or something. I feel like that would give proper thematic context for all attractions in that area and would feel natural coming off of a land like Liberty Square.

Rich T

What's interesting to me is that I had always interpreted this piece of concept art to take place towards the beginning of the ride (just after Slippin' Falls).

View attachment 774943

But after today's information, I'm starting to think this might actually be a part of the new finale. If the storyline for the ride is to assemble a band using Critters because that's the "missing ingredient" for the Mardi Gras celebration, seeing them altogether would be the pay off. It also seems like an appropriate place to put a Tiana animatronic.

For reference:

View attachment 774954

I guess we'll find out soon enough. I actually really love the idea of a band being what's been needed this entire time and it one being made of Critters is a wonderful way to keep the attraction feeling right at home in Critter Country, coming off of New Orleans Square. It also makes infinitely more sense to me that we'd be floating along the bayou recruiting Critters to the cause as we pass them, instead of looking out for some kind of special salt or herb or what-have-you, whilst seated in a log.

Over in Frontierland at WDW, though.. I don't know. I hope they do something extra to help the attraction fit thematically to the area because something still feels "off" to me about it in WDW. I guess all they'd really have to do is rename Frontierland into "Rivers of America", or something. I feel like that would give proper thematic context for all attractions in that area and would feel natural coming off of a land like Liberty Square.
At MK, it looks to me like they’re just going all-out with the striking contrast between the bayou greenery and the desert rock work of Big Thunder. And so far, in person, I think it works. It looks a lot more natural than the spectacular view of the Contemporary hotel you get from Liberty Square just a bit farther back along the river…

waltography

View attachment 774943
The post actually heavily implies the concept art is one of the first scenes, since they attribute this concept art as the "first critter encounter" where all the band members are playing "Gonna Take You There." This is just the first group of many critters we'll see (I think concept/inspiration art showed a band of toads, a bear, and other animals that they'll likely pick up).

(Also, if you want to lend credence to the supposed leaks of 3D models for the ride, the finale will take place in front of Tiana's Palace).

mickEblu

View attachment 774943

For reference:

View attachment 774954

It’s for the “How Do you Do”
Scene. I don’t think “Gonna Take you there” would make sense for the finale.

mlayton144

personally I am happy with the direction this is going - music and critters can definitely save what was thought to be some gratuitous politically correct storyline , I am excited for this (and will still miss splash).

mickEblu

personally I am happy with the direction this is going - music and critters can definitely save what was thought to be some gratuitous politically correct storyline , I am excited for this (and will still miss splash).

I don’t feel like we learned anything new today. What changed? What the “secret ingredient” is?

TP2000

While I'm thrilled to hear they are including the fabulous songs from the movie (and the riverboat show) from PATF, I'm a little ticked off that the "secret ingredient" isn't love, or community, or cooperation, or family, or you.

If the secret ingredient is the cute little animal band that plays at all the best bayou parties, that seems like a ride concept that is almost normal and fun. How did they get that one slipped past HR?

Epcot81Fan

So Tiana is going into a salt mine to find a tiny band of critter musicians for her party.

That is the driving narrative behind this massive E ticket attraction?

If this, Frozen Ever After, and Smuggler’s Run are examples of WDI’s ability to create “new stories”, I will never complain about “book report” rides again.

Good lord.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom