Tiana's Bayou Adventure: Disneyland Watch & Discussion

Nirya

As a counterpoint, we've seen what Iger's tastes look like, so there's every possibility that Iger's vision doesn't align with what a lot of people may theoretically want from an attraction like this.

Like, have we ever heard his thoughts on Splash outside the association with SotS? If he thought the ride was boring before, that could be a good sign that the new version is keeping to the spirit of the old version.

Ne'er-Do-Well Cad

As a counterpoint, we've seen what Iger's tastes look like, so there's every possibility that Iger's vision doesn't align with what a lot of people may theoretically want from an attraction like this.

Like, have we ever heard his thoughts on Splash outside the association with SotS? If he thought the ride was boring before, that could be a good sign that the new version is keeping to the spirit of the old version.

I see what you're saying. But to be fair, Iger did greenlight some real winners during his tenure. And as much as I'm more inclined to trust the judgment of a team of Imagineers over that of a suit, I do worry about the culture of timidity and over-cautiousness within Imagineering right now.

Iger's judgment aside, here's my issue -- the "boring" assessment aligns pretty well with my primary concerns about this overlay; namely, that there won't be much to it, that there will be too few AAs to entertain riders, and that the storyline will be free of conflict/drama/excitement.

mickEblu

I see what you're saying. But to be fair, Iger did greenlight some real winners during his tenure. And as much as I'm more inclined to trust the judgment of a team of Imagineers over that of a suit, I do worry about the culture of timidity and over-cautiousness within Imagineering right now.

Iger's judgment aside, here's my issue -- the "boring" assessment aligns pretty well with my primary concerns about this overlay; namely, that there won't be much to it, that there will be too few AAs to entertain riders, and that the storyline will be free of conflict/drama/excitement.

“Boring” is not an adjective I’ve ever heard anyone use to describe Splash Mountain. Let alone would it make sense coming from a CEO in regards to a fan favorite attraction. If this was Small World or something then I could see how some out of touch CEO could think the ride is boring or isn’t worth the space it takes up.

Nland316

It's a rumor, to be clear. So it should be taken with a grain of salt. But the rumor was shared by Mickey Views, who I think is generally pretty trustworthy (someone please correct me if I'm wrong).

Iger allegedly walked the attraction and declared, "This is really boring." This is (again, allegedly) according to an Imagineer. I loved Splash but I'm a supporter of this project and have been very pleased with the progress of the exterior of MK's version, but Iger's alleged verdict (which takes into account the interior) makes me concerned.
His credibility is rather hit or miss.

It is clear he has some level of insider connection but it’s not consistent. He is the type to pivot rather quickly and come up with excuses as to why he was right in previous versions of a rumor instead of just saying he was wrong about something.

I personally don’t like him because he has a tendency to be a bit too self absorbed and pretentious with his Disney views which I think fuel some of the toxicity in the fandom.

Even with this bias, I can still look at it pretty objectively though and tell you he is credible in some areas. I’d definitely trust the insiders on this site over him in a heartbeat.

As far as the Iger rumor goes, I don’t believe it at this stage in construction. No animatronics installed, flume isn’t operational yet, and I doubt they have a final soundscape finished yet.

He may have toured it sure, but nothing about this project is something that Iger hasn’t already seen for him to have such an extreme reaction toward. Especially in a setting that is not private. I’m sure animated ride throughs exist along with concept art and physical models at WDI that he has all been thoroughly shown.

Castle Cake Apologist

It's a rumor, to be clear. So it should be taken with a grain of salt. But the rumor was shared by Mickey Views, who I think is generally pretty trustworthy (someone please correct me if I'm wrong).

Iger allegedly walked the attraction and declared, "This is really boring." This is (again, allegedly) according to an Imagineer. I loved Splash but I'm a supporter of this project and have been very pleased with the progress of the exterior of MK's version, but Iger's alleged verdict (which takes into account the interior) makes me concerned.

I'd say there's next to no chance it's true. The interior is still very much under heavy construction and there isn't anything of substance that he could have toured and offered an opinion on. Unless he was referring strictly to the scenery (unlikely, as that doesn't really make sense), he likely hasn't toured anything yet.

BrerFoxesBayouAdventure

It's unconfirmed. And unlikely.

And since the ride currently has no music, AAs, projections, or water... of course it's boring. It's dark tunnels with a few bits of scenery. I can't imagine Iger not aware of that.
I was under the impression they spent most of the time between 2020 and now composing the music and building the animatronics. I could be wrong though.

_caleb

It's unconfirmed. And unlikely.

And since the ride currently has no music, AAs, projections, or water... of course it's boring. It's dark tunnels with a few bits of scenery. I can't imagine Iger not aware of that.
IMG_3066.jpeg

BuddyThomas

Honestly I doubt there'll be very many, if any, screens on this ride. Usually screens are reserved for more action intensive rides, like ROTR, MB, and Spider-Man. Given how long this project has been in development and how much controversy surrounds it, Disney isn't going to cut corners to give a sloppy presentation.

I don't think the ride will be good because I'm picky about what I like and I know Disney doesn't make what I like anymore, but I think the average guest will enjoy it because the average guest only cares about the superficial qualities of an attraction.
How condescending.

celluloid

How condescending.
It is not my post but I will ask:
How so? Disney's market for the way they do theme parks has changed to this.

We are not in the long form dark ride era anymore. Disney's typical builds are rollercoasters in the dark and rethemed mild thrills.

Average guest being fine with superficial does not mean negative or stupid. The user also stated what the poster personally likes and knows Disney is not making attractions that please them anymore.

Recognizing you are not the current market is not the same as condescending.

mickEblu

I hope and pray you are all correct about the Iger rumor! Haha. Really want this attraction to be good (& def not something a 70 year-old man finds “boring”…).

Why is everyone so sure nothing has been installed? Is the assumption that if something worthwhile had been installed they would have shown us that instead of grass and a cabin? If so, then that’s logical. However, this begs the question - if all there is to see is grass, no AA’s are installed, no water/ ride vehicle, no completed soundtrack then what is the point of him walking through it at this stage?

Now if Iger did say it was “boring” I would have to assume that he has the capability of factoring in all the missing elements into his opinion. So if we give him that benefit of then doubt “boring” would most likely mean an absence of conflict or perhaps a little light on the whimsy/ fun.

Last edited:

mickEblu

Honestly I doubt there'll be very many, if any, screens on this ride. Usually screens are reserved for more action intensive rides, like ROTR, MB, and Spider-Man. Given how long this project has been in development and how much controversy surrounds it, Disney isn't going to cut corners to give a sloppy presentation.

I don't think the ride will be good because I'm picky about what I like and I know Disney doesn't make what I like anymore, but I think the average guest will enjoy it because the average guest only cares about the superficial qualities of an attraction.

Yup I’ve came to this conclusion as well. Avengers Campus is awful. Spider-Man isn’t even the best shooter in the park. Galaxies Edge missed the mark. MMRR is underwhelming. Everything aside from ROTR has been disappointing on some level. Even ROTR was an acquired taste. I was a little disappointed by the lack of thrills the first few rides and the lack of thrill found at GE in general. With that said, I imagine I’ll enjoy PatF more than all of the above due to the ride system and its Baxter Bones.

Last edited:

SuddenStorm

The Iger rumor reminds me of the rumors that came out about the 2017 Fantasmic prior to it's debut- that the nickname 'Fantrashmic' was circulating around the performers.

Then it came out and they had taken something amazing and redid it without any understanding of what made the original so good.

I can't help but worry the same is happening here, and the employee owned co op, rumors of Baxter's disillusionment with the project and now this Iger thing aren't helping.

BrerFoxesBayouAdventure

I can't help but worry the same is happening here, and the employee owned co op, rumors of Baxter's disillusionment with the project and now this Iger thing aren't helping.
It would be extremely poetic if Iger finally understood why so many were against the retheme to begin with. Too late to walk it back now, we've ripped out everything and either archived it or trashed it.

SuddenStorm

It would be extremely poetic if Iger finally understood why so many were against the retheme to begin with. Too late to walk it back now, we've ripped out everything and either archived it or trashed it.

Disney choosing to get rid of one of their most popular rides at their two most most popular parks at a time when the company was dealing with mass layoffs, a huge decrease in revenue, and a host of other issues caused by covid highlights their hubris.

That's tens of millions of dollars that didn't need to be spent and isn't adding capacity at either park.

shambolicdefending

Let's be honest. None of us would really be surprised if what they have in the works is actually pretty boring - especially compared to the masterpiece they got rid of.

I'm guessing a lot of us quietly suspected this might be the case when they inserted the silly virtue signaling into the publicly released plot description. Deep down, everybody knows that kind of fluff is often an indicator of mediocre story telling.

Last edited:

shambolicdefending

I'd say there's next to no chance it's true. The interior is still very much under heavy construction and there isn't anything of substance that he could have toured and offered an opinion on. Unless he was referring strictly to the scenery (unlikely, as that doesn't really make sense), he likely hasn't toured anything yet.
Did the rumor specify that he toured Anaheim? If not, I'd assume he walked through Orlando, which is probably a lot further along.

Ne'er-Do-Well Cad

Now if Iger did say it was “boring” I would have to assume that he has the capability of factoring in all the missing elements into his opinion. So if we give him that benefit of then doubt “boring” would most likely mean an absence of conflict or perhaps a little light on the whimsy/ fun.

Exactly. Assuming the rumor is true (which it probably isn't), it doesn't matter whether the elements are all physically in place. We can assume Imagineering presented him with everything that comprises the attraction and he was able to make a reasonable judgment.

Did the rumor specify that he toured Anaheim? If not, I'd assume he walked through Orlando, which is probably a lot further along.

The rumor concerns Orlando.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom