Thoughts on Carousel of Progress?

DisJosh

Original Poster
I know there are alot of mixed feelings on this atraction. Personally I love it and think it should stay forever, but I have heard rumors of it closing for good. What are your views on it? Should it stay or go? Do ya hate the song or love it?

Frankcub

The COP is simply great; I can remember riding it in the '70s as a kid. I have heard many rumors--the consensus feels that the ride will be open until the generators give out...and then the ride will close forever. Don't know how much truth there is to that, though.

WDW-Imagineer

I love COP.... I would hate to see Disney Close it.... its one of the few attractions left that Walt actually had a say in (Its A Small World, Wed-Way People Mover are the others...there's more but I can't remember them).

DisneyFreak4298

The COP is a great ride! I love it! But when I was last there, I went on it and it stopped twice...it definately needs a re-working...it would j/jerk you and stp...it was kinda annoying...

Tink

I love the Carousel of Progress especially since it was the direct brain child of Uncle Walt. I think it needs a rehab but it would be disappointing if it closed for good.:(

DanStat

COP Forever!

I think it will be around for a long time...they will have to update it, and I think it is an integral part of WDW. It showcases the future...maybe they will move it to EPCOT.

castlecake

COP

On the 100 years of magic website there would be something special (display, maybe? it didnt say exactly) on the only ride walt had been on at WDW, well the only ride he would have been on at WDW is COP, so we know it will be there untill the celebration is over.

DisJosh

Original Poster
Castlecake, I heard the only ride that Walt had been on in WDW was Pirates of the Carribean.....I read it on some web site....i'm sure someone else here could confirm it.

castlecake

pirates wasnt even built at WDW untill 1973. walt passed away in the 60s, but pirates at disney land was the last one walt worked on before his death

castlecake

also walt disney world was all built after his death, the only ride that was built before his death and is at WDWnow is CoP it was built by walt 4 the 1964 worlds fair.

The Mom

Premium Member
Originally posted by castlecake
also walt disney world was all built after his death, the only ride that was built before his death and is at WDWnow is CoP it was built by walt 4 the 1964 worlds fair.

Also It's A Small World, Wedway People Mover, and 2 others whose names escape me at the moment. I rode Small World and CoP at the 1964 World's Fair.

This was a trivia question within the last 2 weeks, I'll have to look it up. :)

Sorry, it was Skyway (which I vaguely remember) not Wedway, and Mr Lincoln. Ryan claims there was a 5th, but never told us what it was.

castlecake

the its a small world, wedway mover, great moments with mr linclon and CoP were all at the world fair, but Im saying the only ride at WDW that walt was on is CoP all the others are at disneyLAND!!!!!

the future is truly in the past

The Mom

Premium Member
Castlecake, i guess I'm not following you. "It's A Small World and CoP are at WDW now. They were designed and built for the 1964 World's Fair(before Walt's death). Are you saying:

Walt only rode on the CoP at the World's Fair?

He died before WDW was opened, so he didn't ride on any of them at WDW.

The Mom

Premium Member
Now I understand! You meant the ride, bolt by bolt, that was transported to a new home. Yes, the Small World at WDW is a copy of the one at the World's Fair. My mistake, please forgive me. :)

markymark

In light of how popular COP is surley there is some way they can service the motors to increase their life. It seems kind of sad that they are just waiting for them to breakdown, almost like they are waiting for it to die. I really think, especially in light of the input Walt had with it, it should be kept running for good.

Dizknee_Phreek

Originally posted by markymark
In light of how popular COP is surley there is some way they can service the motors to increase their life. It seems kind of sad that they are just waiting for them to breakdown, almost like they are waiting for it to die. I really think, especially in light of the input Walt had with it, it should be kept running for good.

couldn't have said it better myself, mark! and i couldn't agree more!! CoP should be kept running for as long as WDW is open! which will be a long time, for sure! surely there's someway of putting in a new motor...there's gotta be! this ride is just too great to be shut down forever! and as for the music, which was part of the original question, if i remember correctly...i love it! it's one of my fave songs from a WDW attraction! and i'm talking about the current song 'There's A Great Big Beautiful Tomorrow'...i never heard the other song. i loved the current song so much, i learned it on the keyboard (with a little help from a book i bought at Books-A-Million a while back) i'm so tired of changes and updates! i really hope this ride stays exactly like it is for years and years to come!!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom