Thoughts on a honeymoon cruise...?

msidescooter

Original Poster
im starting the process of planning a honeymoon and I'd like to do either a Disney cruise to Alaska or Europe. We'd be going either late July or early August of 2016. I'm planning on booking a 1 bedroom suite on the ship, but I'm stuck on the itinerary. Both itineraries are on our bucket lists.

Thanks for your suggestions!

MaryJaneP

2nd the Europe (Western Mediterranean) recommendation. Our recommendation is based on what we experienced re: Spain/Malta/Italy.

msidescooter

Original Poster
That's the direction I'm leaning. The wedding is in July of 2016, so if Disney sticks to their current rotation next year; by the time of the honeymoon the Magic will be back in the Mediterranean.

LSUmagic

We had our honeymoon on the Fantasy. It was amazing! The went above and beyond to make it special. We have spoken to other cruisers that have been to the Mediterranean and Alaska. The response is always the same:
Mediterranean = Disney
Alaska = Princess

ChuckElias

I loved both itineraries. But I'll mention one difference that I think is important for a honeymoon. The Med itinerary is much more tiring. Your excursions are MUCH longer and MUCH higher activity level (on average). Many of the ports are an hour or even TWO hours by bus to the cities that you'll be visiting.

In Alaska, while there are very long excursions to some of the glaciers, most of the excursions are right in the towns where you dock. The Med cruise, if you really want to see the sights that you're there for, can be EXHAUSTING.

I loved the Med cruise. It was the best vacation of my life. But I'm not sure it's the best for a honeymoon. JMO.

StageFrenzy

I loved both itineraries. But I'll mention one difference that I think is important for a honeymoon. The Med itinerary is much more tiring. Your excursions are MUCH longer and MUCH higher activity level (on average). Many of the ports are an hour or even TWO hours by bus to the cities that you'll be visiting.

In Alaska, while there are very long excursions to some of the glaciers, most of the excursions are right in the towns where you dock. The Med cruise, if you really want to see the sights that you're there for, can be EXHAUSTING.

I loved the Med cruise. It was the best vacation of my life. But I'm not sure it's the best for a honeymoon. JMO.

I would agree it's nice to enjoy the room on the boat especially if you have the one bedroom. The staterooms feel downright claustrophobic after the one bedroom.

MaryJaneP

Also agree that excursions can be tiring. However, you can choose to do some half-day trips (not to biggies like Rome or Florence) but you can also choose to stay onboard the ship to make your honeymoon that much more enjoyable. You don't have to be an excursion commando. You can be a traveler, and see what is there, or be a tourist, and see what you came to see.

msidescooter

Original Poster
Thanks for your thoughts on the port adventures. I'd like to do the imbedded Adventure by Disney, but ihadnt realized the time commitment to get to the sites.

ChuckElias

Also agree that excursions can be tiring. However, you can choose to do some half-day trips (not to biggies like Rome or Florence) but you can also choose to stay onboard the ship to make your honeymoon that much more enjoyable.
This is very true. But I just can't see spending the money to fly to Europe for a Med cruise and then staying on the ship. If you're going to stay on the ship, I'd choose a less expensive itinerary. JMO.

msidescooter

Original Poster
This is very true. But I just can't see spending the money to fly to Europe for a Med cruise and then staying on the ship. If you're going to stay on the ship, I'd choose a less expensive itinerary. JMO.

I'd agree with that. Sea days are for resting :). Rome has been on my bucket list since I knew what a bucket list was.

MaryJaneP

Also agree, if only doing ship for ship, avoid airfare and choose local itinerary. However, we did our own halfday walkabout in Malta, stayed on ship in Palermo, halfday in Naples, whole day in Rome and also Florence/Pisa (too long a commute to do halfday, rough seas put us in Majorca rather then Nice. We could easily have done a ship day in Majorca, but did about a 2/3rd day there. With the sea days, only Rome and Florence/Pisa were full days off ship. If a guest went full days every port, it could be exhausting. We were not that aggressive and were not exhausted. Have fun choosing, either way have a great honeymoon.

Kingdom Konsultant

WDWMAGIC Board Sponsor
Premium Member
WDWMAGIC Sponsor
If you can do it, definitely do the Adventures by Disney add on! I did the Adventures by Disney Italy tour this past May and it was off the charts! Disney really knows how to do it right.

Pam

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom